all glass enclosures? yes or no

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxon_Aus

Reaction score
what are people's opinions on all glass enclosures? I notice most of the ones I've seen are wood with a glass door. I've been offered a reprile vivarium but its all glass and I'm not suire wether I should take it or not - I realise with all glass mainting heat will be an issue

has anyone got any advice on this? experience?

cheers

glass is hard to hold temps, but, with my glass enclosures i just use house insulation dure in winter, works fine:)
glass also looks better! i wouldnt go out and buy a glass tank again, but if your getting it for free then take it! i would haha

haha hell yeh mate always good to get good stuff for free, And I have heard of people using styrofoam sheets to insulate but I don't know how well it worked.

I wouldn't say no. If the temp of the room it's in holds around 18-22 degrees all year, you can get away with a hot spot at one end of the tank.

Also depends on where you are. In Cairns or any other tropical place, not a problem.

Also depends on where you are. In Cairns or any other tropical place, not a problem.

lol - mornington peninsula, melbourne - pretty much as far away from Cairns as you get get :)

I've got a 6ft tropical fish tank that I have insulated on the back and sides with polystyrene that holds its temp well

should work if insulated but with polystyrene stuck to three sides it would end up looking like a shabbier version of a melamine enclosure anyway. But if its not going to cost much to do it then why not I guess. One issue is getting airflow through a fish tank when there is only one opening at the top. I guess you could have a couple of small holes drilled down low at one end??? I haven't used fish tanks myself even though I have a few not being used.
I wouldn't think it would be the most ideal enclosure for such a variable climate but I could be wrong.

For lizards, as long as they have somewhere to hide behind/under and it's in the tropics where the temps don't go too far below 20 degrees then fine.

For snakes, definitely a very big NO NO. Snakes get very stressed very easily inside transparent enclosures, even if it has a hide box, because the snake is not entirely sure of it's own safety with all that light coming in. I had a not-so-nice experience in 2010 with a male woma being kept in a transparent enclosure that I built myself from perspex. The snake took off half of the skin oils off it's back because it jammed itself under a very heavy water dish during a shed cycle. NEVER AGAIN and I strongly suggest the same for anyone else. NO. I will end up painting those perspex enclosures and maybe use them as incubators.

depending on the thickness, all glass vivs from my personal experience tends to be heavier, not to mention having the possibility of cracking one/more sides than like say an enclosure with only one glass panel

if you're out for a semi-aquatic animal or something that requires a large body of water though they're pretty darn useful

i have 2 blue tounges and a spotted python who live in all glass enclosures , they are all doing fine and have been that way for the last 2+ years .
the only reason why the blues are going out side , i want some of my lounge room back :):).

Also depends on what you're keeping. I know some people that use all glass enclosures to keep snakes that like colder conditions (diamonds, tigers, etc) with only a heat mat or heat cord for the heat and they're doing terrific.

I mostly use glass enclosure for the lizards, better ventilation with the screen top in summer and then in winter I cover most of it with a blanket - works a treat :)

Mine are in a glass exo terra at the moment. Haven't had an issue as far as stress, but the heat has been an issue. I've lived in old Queenslanders with bugger all insulation though, so it shouldn't be an issue in a modern home.

I have a glass tank in it and it stays pretty good all day and night i have no problems with the temp going to hot or to cold sits with in 3 deg all day so i love it looks better two i think in some ways

Hey Paul, I have my womas and a beardie in glass tanks, I have polystyrene with nice backing pictures attached and I use it in winter just at the back and cover the mesh on top, plus the herp room never gets very cold in winter as we have heating going so the whole room sits at about 21-25 degrees.mine hold temps really well

It is not only a matter of insulation. There is also privacy to consider. Animals generally dont like being on show with nowhere to hide. A bit like putting you out in the middle of the football ground in front of a crowd vs you in a private bedroom. You perform differently when you feel at ease.

For snakes, definitely a very big NO NO. Snakes get very stressed very easily inside transparent enclosures, even if it has a hide box, because the snake is not entirely sure of it's own safety with all that light coming in.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'd think this problem could be solved by putting a background in? I have an aquarium I intend to house a Stimsons' python in and will be putting some kind of background in as well as something on the sides.

I agree with slide, I'd be concerned about adequate airflow, I've done the 'fishtank' and had no issue with temps but the only ventilation is on top, it was only a temp enclosure and did the job but I wouldn't do it for a permanent vivarium for lizards or snakes, keep it for fish or frogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back