Alternative Snake Food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
re Alternative

yeh herptrader,your right to a degree,but you cant beat a varied diet :)

i dun think i would eva feed my snakes any type of bird, rodents r the way to go, lol lamp chops as if i would rather munch on them lol, next ur gonna feed it my t-bone steak

OMG zulu thats alot of chicken necks, how much would that meal of weighed? How much does the pictured BHP weigh?

I do what Zulu does, getting the fat off is probably important, I also snap the jopints so the dont sit all curved up inside the smaller snakes. I guess now this has got out the price of chicken necks will go up. Thanks nev.
There was a packet of drumsticks in the fridge one day and I looked at them and thought that as the use by date was that day Id let the family eat them. Didnt want to risk them on the snakes.

peterescue said:
I do what Zulu does, getting the fat off is probably important, I also snap the jopints so the dont sit all curved up inside the smaller snakes. I guess now this has got out the price of chicken necks will go up. Thanks nev.
There was a packet of drumsticks in the fridge one day and I looked at them and thought that as the use by date was that day Id let the family eat them. Didnt want to risk them on the snakes.
PMSL pete,yeh ile be paying more than one eighty blame poor nev :lol: your so considerate too pete :lol:

re Alternative

crackers said:
some shops sell frozen ducklings / chicks which are good in that they dont have the fat build up yet and feathers are great ruffage
Be wary of feeding pythons on day old chicks cause they have a large yolk sack and ive used them myself on occasion but was warned by a prominant proffessional keeper that its bad long term and he has had problems and he now removes the yolk sack :)

zulu: Is that a picture of Steve Irwin on the newpaper in the BHP pic of it curled up? :)

re Alternative

Yes nine peas that is indeed the great man with something there about tourism,yeh i laid the chicken necks on steves head and the snake licked them off,it cant read,justs looks at the pictures megan gale is a favourite :)

If the python is big enough use chicks a that are few weeks old. I got six meat chicks at 2 dollars each, (Gladstone) I grew them for about two weeks to add a bit of size. The BHPS loved them.

Herptrader is right though. whole foods items are important.

I've been feeding all my blackheads on chicken wings, aswell as rodents and whole birds (pidgeons, quails & finches ). For the smaller BHP's i cut the wings up at the joints and for the big ones I break the elbow of the wing so they slide down straight. My big male ate 2KGs of wings the other night and finished off with desert of 2 large rats. Variety of diet, its what they get in the wild. The male is 3.1 metres long and weights in at a slim 12.5kgs

Whenever we feed fully-grown quails to our snakes we cut the wings off as sometimes they stick out at the wrong angle and make swallowing a bit of a chore. Once we tried feeding these wings to the gang, it looked as though they were eating angels! :cry:

re Alternative

zulu said:
crackers said:
some shops sell frozen ducklings / chicks which are good in that they dont have the fat build up yet and feathers are great ruffage
Be wary of feeding pythons on day old chicks cause they have a large yolk sack and ive used them myself on occasion but was warned by a prominant proffessional keeper that its bad long term and he has had problems and he now removes the yolk sack :)

cheers zulu
did he say what the main probs were...would they be that bad as long as you mix it up with rats??

When I do feed day old chicks it is usually every 4th or 5th feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back