Another, more unusual, relocation!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies Snakehandler, I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I was under the impression that relocated animals were not considered for ballot unless it can be proven that they are indeed escapees, or animals siezed by DECC? The last python I had in rehab (a carpet) which I suspected was an escaped pet (hence, it would be put to ballot if I could prove so) was, infact a wild animal (as evidenced through a fecal float analysis) and had to be released or euthed. I subsequently was allowed to release in suitable habitat.

Apologies Snakehandler, I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I was under the impression that relocated animals were not considered for ballot unless it can be proven that they are indeed escapees, or animals siezed by DECC? The last python I had in rehab (a carpet) which I suspected was an escaped pet (hence, it would be put to ballot if I could prove so) was, infact a wild animal (as evidenced through a fecal float analysis) and had to be released or euthed. I subsequently was allowed to release in suitable habitat.

That was a positive outcome for the carpet I_V

Yeah, thanks mate:)! though I was a bit sad to see him go.

I don't see that as confrontational, you are stating experience.....however given the species you have there it is a tough ask to say it's wild! If they are using a fecal float to prove they are wild caught, what criteria are they using. If it has worms then it's eaten in the wild, that's not evidence of where it being wild! I'm just stating what should be done, what you choose to do is up to you, morally and ethically!

The degloving on his head is the result of some local idiots hitting him with cardboard rolls prior to my arrival:(! To say I was angry would be an understatement. They told me it was a King Brown????!!!!!

At least he(?) is still alive and they didn't reach for the shovel
already 2 posts today at least about killed snakes, its depressing
hope this one gets a happy ending

Keep him or give him to someone.don't hand him over to be put to sleep.if he has escaped,or maybe just released cos he was getting soooo big,or a hitchhiker,he sure doesn't deserve to be beaten with cardboard rolls and then rescued and then put to sleep.sometimes rules are meant to be broken....life and death.pm me if he needs a home.

That makes a huge difference, however if a location can be determined such as in this case it should be able to be returned, in theory, good luck with that though. It's one of the dilemmas we face as catchers, my suggestion is do what is required as described in your permit, play it safe, play within the rules!

Sookie, I know your heart's in the right place, but neither of those options would be on the table in any case. The next week will really determine if he, indeed, has any options at all, as he appears very traumatised at best, probably wont eat or take fluids and will, in all likelyhood, eventually perish, unfortunately. So humane euthanasia may be a best option. Time will tell, however.

Thanks Snakehandler, your input is much appreciated:)! I'm hoping for a good feeding response and no on-going health problems (RI's come to mind) and that a return to the Cairns region (as a best guess) will eventuate. Best case scenario. If my local WIRES group can help with travel expenses and the relevant wildlife authorities are happy for me to do so, I'm prepared to take time out and drive him up myself!

Last edited by a moderator:
good work imported varanus,but there is options,here in sydney i pick up allsorts of things that are not native to area they just get given to herp society and they get fostered out to a home with a experienced keeper.

bit of a sad looking scrub

This is something that a person should be aware of as a permitted catcher in each State! An animal that is not endemic needs to be handed to wildlife authorities for appropriate action.

There is no requirement to report out of area snakes to DECCW(or whatever its latest incarnation will be) in NSW apart from returning annual records.

Peter, given it is not local, not an escapee it cannot be held legally, hence it must be handed over to appropriate authorities, possession of the animal without appropriate papers can lead to further legal issues. A person cannot have in their possession a licensed animal without appropriate paperwork!

Hi All,

Many thanks for everyone's help in this regard, much appreciated:)! I have since been in touch with Wildlife Licencing in Sydney and have been made aware of other, more suitable options in this fellas case pending a full recovery, of course.

I'll get back anyway with any further developments.

Hey mate,

It should NOT be released. It is of unknown origin, with a home range of a few hundred thousand square kilometres...it could have been exposed to unknown pathogens, it could be a pet. There's two options for it - euthanise or retain it in captivity. Any snake with an unknown exact capture point shouldn't be released. There's no conservation value to it and the risks are enormous.

Peter, given it is not local, not an escapee it cannot be held legally, hence it must be handed over to appropriate authorities, possession of the animal without appropriate papers can lead to further legal issues. A person cannot have in their possession a licensed animal without appropriate paperwork!

Whatever gives you that idea. If it survives it can be disposed of appropriately at the disgression of the removal license holder. Appropriate in this case is usually to either euthanaise or pass on to a herp society or Exhibition and Zoos permit holder.
Our records are fowarded annually to DECCW. Animals forwarded as unreleasable become the responsibility of the organisation recieving them, ie: AHS or Macherps. All non endemic native snakes are deemed to be escaped pets and should be returned to the pet trade. I cant give that in writing as it was a verbal from NPWS.
A current draft is available of the new guidelines for animals rescue and rehabilitation. Technically all animals that cannot be released should be euthanaise.
Our organsation does not hand animals over to DECCW.

PS. I doubt Qld would allow the snake to be returned for relocation.

Peter you said it yourself, handed over to appropriate authorities, herp societies etc....not released, not held by catcher! So I believe my statement and yours are the same!

Just because you choose not to hand over to wildlife authorities does not make it wrong to do so!

Just a quick, very pleasing development:)! After giving him plenty of privacy, he hammered 3 large quail and 3 jumbo rats in quick succession today YEEEEHHHHAAARRRR! What an appetite!! (sorry, I sound like an Erwin). Appologies for no pics of him actually feeding as i really didn't want to disturb him to much just for some pics. BTW, he's also nearing the end of a shed cycle, hence the loose skin. If you look closely on the cage floor, you may see the remnants of his meals!

And now, the shedding begins!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back