another question..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyf

Reaction score
hi my coastal carpet python is starting to show signs that he is getting ready to shed, i was wondering about feeding. he is due to have another rat very soon, do i wait to give him the rat or is it alright to give him a rat now, i heard that it will interrupt the shedding process.

you can offer him a feed he will either takeit or refuse! There is nothing wrong with feeding a snake while on shed it will not harm it in any way!

I usually judge by the individual snake. One of mine will take the prey and the digestion of the prey usually speeds up the shed, but mostly i just wait.

Some take the feed, some don't. If your snake is showing hunting behaviour at night, go ahead and feed. I've had snakes feed and shed the same night.

cool thanks guys, he took the rat. and now he is in his rock...hopefully he will shed soon. i havent held him for a week.

They go opaque, then clear up and look normal, and a couple of days later they slough, the whole thing takes a couple of weeks, depending on when your counting from.

i just noticed that my coastal is a little redish on his belly is that normal around shedding time. or would i have to take him to a reptile vet.

Ventral scales can appear red from time to time, though it is possible it's a burn or the onset of scale rot (blister disease), post a pic if you can, or just pay close attention to it, you should know more after it sloughs, i'd wait till then if it only looks mild.

yeah, wait at least a week or so..sometimes i think mine are about to shed and they go and hide or just stay really sleepy and lethargic, then it takes them a good week or more before it happens. Dont be too worried as long as they have the right temps and humidity it should be fine. How is the redness looking? some diamonds get that reddness its not necessarily scale rot or a burn. Do you have ur heat thermostatically controlled. Keep an eye on it but I wouldnt disturb the snake till its shed/sloughed.

i dont have it on thermostats yet. i am switching between heat and red light to keep the temperatures to standard. it stay's around 25 degrees at the cold end and 31-35 at the hot end. and the humidity is near in semi tropical climate. the redness isnt there i dont think anymore for what i can see. the clowdyness near his eyes has gone but his skin is still milky colour.

hey guys just letting you know that he shed last night. he missed a little that i will have to get off but its all good. i will try and get a nice pic of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back