Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justdragons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hello all, even though my name is just dragons ive decided( after looking at everyones awesome pics) i would like i snake. the only problem is i dont want to in a few years have a 10ft snake as round as my leg. although these snakes are stunning i think its to big until i get my own house so i can build a proper big cage. so im keen to know what species stay smallish. i found a picture of a nice snake and the name on the photo was Antaresia perthensis. does anyone own one of these? what are they like? how big do they grow? ill att the link so you can see. im a sponge for info at this point so any help would be great.

p.s. sorry for the life story. lol

Toby,:D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/106/263765462_aa1936bc6b_z.jpg

Any of the Antaresia species stay pretty small (under 5 foot), go & see the guys at Reptile City at Christies Beach, they have quite a few Spotted & Childrens Pythons available.

Yeah I think you'd be better off with a childreni or maculosa. They are much cheaper and more available and don't get too big either

Hey justdragons,

Antaresia perthensis
is known by the common name Pygmy Python and is the smallest python found in Australia.

If Adelaide is anything like Melbourne, you'll be hard pressed to get your hands on one as they are still relatively scarce in hobby.

I agree with Chris D and saximus, the more common members of the Antaresia genus such as the Children's or Spotted Python would be an awesome first choice! They don't get much over 5ft and have a great temperment.

You may need a name change before too long! How bout justdragons (may contain traces of python)? :)

l started a thread on these a while back but it didn't get to far l guess because as already said atm there aren't a lot in captivity.
.......solar 17 (Baden)

Another python you may want to look into is the Stimson. They're quite small. My fav are the wheatbelts.

Im in a similar position to the OP. I want something that will be of reasonable size and have narrowed it down to a Stimson or a Palmerston Jungle Carpet at this stage.

Perthensis achieve about half the size of the more common anteresia. They are very small to get feeding, needing small food items but once established they behave the same as most anteresia. We have mated some lovely perthensis with lovely mottled patterning, which should lay soon; although clutch size is normally small so animals remain scarce.

have had a pm, cheers for all the comments. there seems to be a few around now just looking at hearing some prices.. i will be sitting down.lol

@njames yes i think im about to catch the bug so maybe a name change will be in order.

i like the color of the george town stimsons too, great looking snake. cheers for all your help again guys.

I have a Pygmy and I have to say he is my favourite. I am looking forward to picking another one up soon!! He's a little guy with a big personality - definitely worth the money!!!

Here's a couple I've posted before. If you use the search bar you will see quite a few threads with them.

229549_10150609766115398_644075397_18374973_3572386_n.jpg

222659_10150609766190398_644075397_18374974_7012965_n.jpg

254024_10150658853050398_644075397_18936128_3084940_n.jpg

He's 7-8 months in these pics

pinky mice? wow that spins me out. they look so small. do you have any feeding pics? those pics are great. im so pumped to get mine..

Nah, he has a feeding complex, he will never eat when I'm in the room and by the time I go and check he's finished it lol

I'm definitely picking up another one (or two) next season if I find the right price...

out of my small collection of pythons, the Pygmy is my favourite, he's not the best looking (my bredi and diamonds are gorgeous) but he is very inquisitive and super docile. What he lacks in size he definitely makes up in personality lol

i just wish there was more info on them, they are very cool. i found out a mate has one which is good cause i got to hold it and im sold. not the same colours as yours though more of a subtle redish colour with not much pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back