Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Noxious said:
Building a piece of lake Tanganyika in my fish room in my new house. Under construction! :roll:

This is rather interesting considering that you used to think that all cichlids should be fed to your tankbusters esp. the fronts! :lol:

Ahh... memories. Have a few very interesting tangs building.

Once i find B microlepsis in aus ill be content.

deathinfire said:
what does ACE stand for??

sorry :)

Because ive been doing a little research, as im thinking about setting up a tank with a pair of oscars.

ARGH! Don't get me started on oscars. I made the stupid mistake of putting a baby into my tropical tank... ate EVERYTHING. Even a fighting fish that I just bought, which was still in the original aquarium bag adjusting to my aquarium's water.

Nice second tank though.

BTW, is that a saratoga? The first pic

Hard to take care of? How so? I find it very easy!

You have some amazing fish there Nox!! When I move I'm going to purchase a massive tank (with 12mm glass). But I dont know what I want to put in it. Maybe some archer fish or something?

I was into fish but have sold all my tanks and got into snakes. My favorite fish was a sleepy cod I caught in a scoop net at a local drain. He (Steve) was about 10 cm long when I caught him and grew to 35cm when I gave him away. I used to catch guppies, rainbow fish to feed him. He also used to take prawns and worms from my fingers :lol: Very cool fish 8)

hey i keep fish too 8) not as big as yours tho :shock: i wish i had room for a big tank. i only have 4 tanks atm cos we live in a small unit, but when i move it will look like a jungle with snakes and fish everywhere. i keep only african cichlids mostly malawi but i been getting into the tanganyikans a bit lately, here is some pics i took of my tanks

this tank houses a breeding colony of electric blues and a young colony of electric yellows im tryin to grow up to breed
tanks004.jpg

heres the electric blues babies
tanks001.jpg

heres one of the females holding the eggs
blue001.jpg

ok this is my shell dweller tank 2ft these guys are so fun to watch they are
neolamprologus speciosus
tanks002.jpg

and last but not least this is my other 3 footer it has
a breeding colony of protomelas steveni tigers 1m 4f
2 black calvus 1m 1f
4 albino electric blues
2 e. yellows
2 plecos 1 gold 1 common
2 caudopunctatus
and some more e.blue fry.
tanks003.jpg

well thats my tanks for now.
oh and by the way fish are so easy to take care of :!: i thought snakes were harder to keep than fish... i spose you jus gotta find a good site to get help from 8) and once you learn what to do it becomes easy..
anyways enjoy 8)

Like the smaller cichlid tank you got Noxious , really like the big cat fish especially the pleco , whats the big one in the last pic ??
I worked in an aquarium for 5 years , kinda miss it actually .
Used to have about 10-12 tanks , only big one was 4x2x2 with discs , the rest were mainly nice tetras like congos , bleeding hearts etc had some angels , bristles and
and used to breed lots of fancy tailed guppies ( cichlid fodder ) to sell in the shop .
never got into the big cichlids after taking home a pair of oscars some one traded in at the shop broke my 2 new 300 watt heaters , they went back to shop next day and the discs went in to that tank .

You have some nice fish there, expensive ones too, the tiger shovel nose is cool, so is the electric cat fish - you would pay a fortune for most of those fish here in qld

cheers

jim

you would pay a fortune any where in aus for those fish , used to amaze me how expensive some fish would get , but after working in an aquarium that had a quarantine room it no wonder some fish are expensive .

Indeed alot of the tankbusters are very pricey, no more so then a woma or nice BHP.

Exotic fish prices have actually come down alot recetly with silver arowana being flogged off for $200-300 2 years ago you would be happy paying $550-650 at stores.

NinaPeas said:
What is this fish? And how readily available are they??

I believe it's Pseudoplatystoma tigrinum (aka Tiger catfish). It's a nice fish for eating if you are willing to pay a few hundred $$ per kilo for it (in Australia anyway). I don't think it's easy to obtain a small one from your LFS. The ones I have seen have been pretty big - certainly too big to fit into a normal fish bag.

I only have the one 4ft tank running atm. it has 6 e. yellows a sailfin pleco and a bristle nose cat in there. I keep thinking about setting up another tank with e. blues but i keep moving every few years and the hassle of moving fish turns me away.

When I settle, my place will have a heap of tanks on the go.

I used to keep a fair few fish back in the UK, many years ago.
One of the most interesting species for me were the "Arowana's", they were real charectors, with huge appetites and great personalities.
Anyone here keep them? Got some Pic's?

Neil

Noxious said:
Indeed alot of the tankbusters are very pricey, no more so then a woma or nice BHP.

Exotic fish prices have actually come down alot recetly with silver arowana being flogged off for $200-300 2 years ago you would be happy paying $550-650 at stores.

I must of missed your thread and mention of Arowana's, do you keep them Noxious??

Neil

deathinfire said:
fishys are so hard to take care of

noooooooo they are easier to keep than reptiles, most problems people get are all down to water conditions.

Noxious.....nice arrowana there m8, whats the ID on the catfish in the second pic with the spotted gar ?
cheers
mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back