Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice setups venomous1111 I love your reef tank looks like it's runing realy well.

Thats a big sailfin TTgd1.

Thanks mate, the bigger setup has been running for about 4 years now seems to be very stable and going well, haven't added much to it for a while was looking into a snowflake eel just got to work out if it will be compatible with my other fish..

View attachment 255756Real camera shot of the end of the aquarium
View attachment 255757 One of the MANY little bristlenoses that decided to "appear" in my tank... I got something right and they replicated
View attachment 255759 Crappy mobile phone shot of the long side

Nice planted tank, do you have much trouble with the bristlenoses destroying the plants? What lighting setup are you using? I've has my new to be planted tank cycling for a while now going to get some plants this weekend so hopefully it all goes sweet.

freshwater stingray.jpg

Check this guy out his a freshwater white blotched river stingray - (Potamotrygon leopoldi) they are in Australia but have a pretty high price tag and require a large tank.. On my wanted fresh water list for sure..

Last edited:
Venonmous, I have no issues at all with the bristlenoses destroying the plants. Haven't had any problems with it.
Light set up is a very simple pair of t8 bulbs and the filter is a 10cm diameter sponge filter. (Tank is 3 foot btw)
Stocked with a single neon tetra, LOTS of mostly endlers and soon to be endler guppy crosses ( the endlers werent pure to begin with so just speeding up the mutations), the bristlenoses, some khuli loaches and cherry shrimp.

Nice setups everyone but I been looking at them all and wondering where do u get all your native fish as I'm looking to setup a aquarium full of native fish I don't know how big it will it will be I know my lfs sell limited stock of native think it's just rainbows :/

Sometimes the aquarium shops will order them in if you ask what you want and give a deposit.
Or some of them you just catch just use a fish trap or a net in the local creeks.

Okay I should ask him ( need to get a new aquarium as I only have small ones might sell them and get a big one ) I don't have creeks close to me I hqve like marsh lol and some little ponds

Harkiins - depends on what size natives you want. They are around but not as popular as the exotics so many stores don't stock much. Some of the aussie websites have good 'for sale' sections.

Rainbows, threadfins, blue-eyes. Have a look on livefish.com they quite often have natives. I haven't checked there in ages though so not sure what they have lately.

Venonmous, I have no issues at all with the bristlenoses destroying the plants. Haven't had any problems with it.
Light set up is a very simple pair of t8 bulbs and the filter is a 10cm diameter sponge filter. (Tank is 3 foot btw)
Stocked with a single neon tetra, LOTS of mostly endlers and soon to be endler guppy crosses ( the endlers werent pure to begin with so just speeding up the mutations), the bristlenoses, some khuli loaches and cherry shrimp.

Thanks for that, I was a bit worried if I put my peppermint bristlenoses in with my plant's they would destroy them.. I'm using an Aquaone AR850 for my planted setup, has 3 t5s and a wet n dry filter running at the moment, and have a small school of neons in there now to help with the cycling .. I'm going java moss,ferns this weekend to start it of n then work it up from there..

okay thanks guys also one last thing do u need a lincese for native fish ?

No mate no licensing required to keep natives.. What size tank you going for them and what species you going with?

sorry i dont know how to do what u did ^^ but im not sure i think i might sell my little tanks and get a 3 or 4 foot depends on what mum say and the yeah i wouldnt know what fish to get or plants i been look a aquagreen but i reckon the fish would died on the journey to mine in the mail :/ so might just see what the LFS has in the native stock

Venomous, you might want to also put in some stems that grow faster than the java moss and the java fern, as they dont do a very good job of taking nutrients out of the water fast

One of the Eels we used in last nights Footy Show for anyone who may have seen us

Freshwater Eels 002.jpg

sorry i dont know how to do what u did ^^ but im not sure i think i might sell my little tanks and get a 3 or 4 foot depends on what mum say and the yeah i wouldnt know what fish to get or plants i been look a aquagreen but i reckon the fish would died on the journey to mine in the mail :/ so might just see what the LFS has in the native stock

Just press reply with quote on the bottom right.. When I was stocking my tanks with I found it a lot cheaper to find people that breed and sell or my local "aquarium shop" rather then going to the pet shop where they will charge $30 for the same fish I can get for $5 and know they will be quality and not fed that hormone filled colour enhancing rubbish they use at typical corner pet shops.

Check this site out, there's a few blokes on there that are into there natives and sell them a lot cheaper then most places you'll pick them up.

Australian Pet Link : Classifieds : Fish and Aquarium : Fish and Aquatic Livestock

Venomous, you might want to also put in some stems that grow faster than the java moss and the java fern, as they dont do a very good job of taking nutrients out of the water fast

Thanks for the heads up I haven't had the lights going while I've been cycling the water for the past week so I shouldn't have problems with algae just yet but I will go with what you said and add some stems with the Java moss,fern to kick start the tank most likely Asian Ambulia, Anacharis, water wisteria etc then add some of the more desirable plants I was after once there established and there's no algae bloom problems.

Last edited:
Nice looking eel Amazing Amazon, I used to have one in a 6ft tank there nice to watch you have to have good lids on your
tank otherwise they tend to go walkabout through the night lol.

Long Finned > short finned :)

Yes they do love to walk around the floor. Mine has figured out if she jumps down the intake of the sump she can go for a little joy ride into the sump >_<!

I lost my moray, but because I couldn't find it and the tanks outside I thought it was gone, but I was cleaning my sump
about 3 months later and this head pokes out to try and bite me, it was him about twice the size I dont know what he
was eating but I put him back in the tank and put mesh over the hole, now I feed him and he seems to stay the same
size witch is strange.

Some nice natives for those of you that are interested.
purple-spotted-gudgeon2.jpg

Purple Spotted Gudgeon. Mogurnda adspersa

Last edited:
Hello jason! MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH! lol

is the sump outside also? maybe pests where getting in there? cockroachs etc, sometimes they fall into my tanks and get eaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back