Are Hopper mice ok for my Bredli?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgieo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just a real quick one, I have a 9 mth Bredli at 70cm and feeding 1 Fuzzy rat every 5-7 days.
I went shopping today and couldn't get Fuzzy rats, so are Hopper mice ok?

He still has 2 Fuzzies to go, but if I shouldn't change it, I will go hunting again tomorrow.

Cheers

That will be fine. The more developed mice are likely better for him than the rats anyway

To be honest it could probably even take Hopper Rats at that length... Depends on the girth though I guess.

Edit: And I thought Fuzzy Rats were more in the same size range as Wener Mice? Depends on the supplier I suppose.

Last edited:
Cracking litle Bredli i may add...Very nice for its age.....Best to keep him interested in rats as u dont wana put 20 + mice a feed in a yr or 2...but u can vary its diet like day old chicks and Quail

Why is that? Just out of curiosity...

Older mice/rats have more developed bones, organs and fur making them a more "whole" prey item. Pinkies and fuzzies are basically just little milk filled flesh sacks. I've kept almost all of my hatchies on mice right up to adult mouse size then switch to hopper rats. That way they're only on pinky/fuzzy age animals for the early stages of their lives where they're too small to take anything else. That's just my choice though.

Last edited:
He hasnt shed yet, I have had him for about 4 weeks. Im hoping he will shed soon, he has got bigger tho, and longer. He is about 7cm in diameter...

To be honest it could probably even take Hopper Rats at that length... Depends on the girth though I guess.

Edit: And I thought Fuzzy Rats were more in the same size range as Wener Mice? Depends on the supplier I suppose.

- - - Updated - - -

Cracking litle Bredli i may add...Very nice for its age.....Best to keep him interested in rats as u dont wana put 20 + mice a feed in a yr or 2...but u can vary its diet like day old chicks and Quail

Thanks man, I shopped around a little for this fella. He has a bucket load of personality too.... but many people dont get how he can as he isnt a dog..... Loves my armpits too...

Thanks man, I shopped around a little for this fella. He has a bucket load of personality too.... but many people dont get how he can as he isnt a dog..... Loves my armpits too...
...Who was the breeder im letting my female have 1 lot of bubs next yr but that will be it...she from SR

Your 70cm bredli should be eating adult mice by now - it will manage them easily. Keep it on mice until adult mice are no longer big enough - despite what you may be told, there is no advantage in moving on to rats, and the supposed problems changing from mice to rats are largely figments of novice keepers' imaginations. Make the change when the size demands it, and if there is hesitation (unlikely with bredli) just thaw the rat in water with a mouse and feed both.

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Your 70cm bredli should be eating adult mice by now - it will manage them easily. Keep it on mice until adult mice are no longer big enough - despite what you may be told, there is no advantage in moving on to rats, and the supposed problems changing from mice to rats are largely figments of novice keepers' imaginations. Make the change when the size demands it, and if there is hesitation (unlikely with bredli) just that the rat in water with a mouse and feed both.

Jamie

I just gave him a Fuzzy rat, and I was really worried for a tick, as this batch are larger than the last. So I should move to Mice and make them Adult?
He is taking them down ok.

Your 70cm bredli should be eating adult mice by now - it will manage them easily. Keep it on mice until adult mice are no longer big enough - despite what you may be told, there is no advantage in moving on to rats, and the supposed problems changing from mice to rats are largely figments of novice keepers' imaginations. Make the change when the size demands it, and if there is hesitation (unlikely with bredli) just that the rat in water with a mouse and feed both.

Jamie

so you can read it twice...

At the moment I'm getting about one intergrade a fortnight from my Eclectus aviary, at night when the birds let me know they're there (usually around 3am!!!). They're usuallyl around the 70-80cm size, and are often packed with an adult mouse. I think there must have been a clutch hatch near the house last season, and so far there have been about 6 this spring! A c/b bredli is likely to be far more robust than a wild intergrade, so crank up the food and you'll have no probs.

Jamie

photo (6).jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Better?! :p

- - - Updated - - -

Hes a camera *****!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back