Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your faith?

• Catholic

Votes: 25 9.4%
  • Anglican

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Jehovah's Witness

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other Christian

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • Muslim

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Other Eastern

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Scientology

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Other

Votes: 28 10.5%
  • Atheist/No religion

Votes: 158 59.4%
  • snake fanatic

Votes: 10 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some JW's come to my door a little while ago - a pair of lovely ladies I was more than happy to politely disagree/argue with. They were foolish enough to suggest that I should submit to my husband's authority in our marriage as he was the head of the household. :shock: Well, you can imagine how that went down... :lol:
thats no an actual rule

everyone are different and take things more seriously, i knew a girl who wasn't even allowed out of her drive way or not allowed to talk to the kids in the street where as my mum let me go out with school friends and do what i want
some people are real weird and stricked about it, my mum is easy going though she drinks, goes out to the pubs and in the city with friends she swears now and then and was always easy going with me, and she has always been fine with my decision not to follow the religion, she knows my bf and that ive had sex before marriage i was pretty lucky

Bill Hicks had a great take on Christianity (and all the sub-species);

"People ask me what I think about that woman priest thing. What, a woman priest? Women priests. Great, great. Now there's priests of both sexes I don't listen to."

"If you're so pro-life, do me a favour: don't lock arms and block medical clinics. If you're so pro-life, lock arms and block cemeteries."

"A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a ****** cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant."

"Christianity has a built-in defense system: anything that questions a belief, no matter how logical the argument is, is the work of Satan by the very fact that it makes you question a belief. It's a very interesting defense mechanism and the only way to get by it -- and believe me, I was raised Southern Baptist -- is to take massive amounts of mushrooms, sit in a field, and just go, "Show me."

"The whole image is that eternal suffering awaits anyone who questions God's infinite love. That's the message we're brought up with, isn't it? Believe or die! "Thank you, forgiving Lord, for all those options.' "

That can be interpreted in so many dangerous ways, just like that muslim cleric who only yesterday stated that a man should force his wife to have sex, and it didn't matter if she didn't want it, and that it was ok to hit her if she disbeyed................... now THAT'S scary, coming from a faith that says it promotes peace!!!!

You should re read that news article. How long ago did he say it?

This type of news story only, 3 days before australia day is just downright unaustralian. http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24950526-5006785,00.html

I wondered when the marvelous Mr Hicks would pop up in here ^_^.

Bill Hicks, Margaret Cho and George Carlin, directed by Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens could've cleared up all this religion nonsense in about an hour.

You should re read that news article. How long ago did he say it?

This type of news story only, 3 days before australia day is just downright unaustralian. http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24950526-5006785,00.html

.......... and being in the news only last night brought it to mind when obedience of wives was mentioned. Didn't realise there were things that were un-australian to discuss before Australia day. A priest I knew used to speak of Jesus' death and resurrection before christmas, and his birth just before easter............................ just didn't realise things like protecting women from brutal husbands was un-australian

Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens could've cleared up all this religion nonsense in about an hour.
Its not religious nonsense if it's your belief though, anyone has a right to a belief, aslong as they dont go around ramming it into peoples heads.

.......... and being in the news only last night brought it to mind when obedience of wives was mentioned. Didn't realise there were things that were un-australian to discuss before Australia day. A priest I knew used to speak of Jesus' death and resurrection before christmas, and his birth just before easter............................ just didn't realise things like protecting women from brutal husbands was un-australian

So you beleive that the reviving of this story 5 years after it happened wasnt simply a low tactic to stir racist tensions in the wake of australia day.

Its not religious nonsense if it's your belief though, anyone has a right to a belief, aslong as they dont go around ramming it into peoples heads.

It's nonsense to me.

I'm sure it's not nonsense to a believer :) I can see I'm going to have to start adding "IMO" to everything.

Edited because at second glance, it was a little nastier looking than I meant ;)

Last edited:
So you beleive that the reviving of this story 5 years after it happened wasnt simply a low tactic to stir racist tensions in the wake of australia day.

Not to my mind, no, but I don't look for ulterior motives, and I don't know the full reason it was brought up, hubby came in and told me last night when it was on the news. It matters not when it was publicised though, if I'd remembered it at the earlier comment about obedient wives by the door knockers, I'd have mentioned it anyway!!!!!! Demonstrating that religious views can be misinterpreted by individuals with many followers/listeners who embrace what they say. It's not a good thing for anyone to say at any time, is it????

Demonstrating that religious views can be misinterpreted by individuals with many followers/listeners who embrace what they say.

Any evidence to suggest this? The video shows an amputheater with about 5 people in the audience and just becaus they were there when he said it, doesnt mean they were listening and it definatly doesnt imply that they embraced it.

Im not really looking for altererior motives. Its just when a 5 year old news story re-surfaces for what seems like no reason, somthing else must be going on...

Best quote EVER!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Nah, his best one was the bit about confronting a christian about dinosaurs :D...I'd quote it, but there's swearing and it'd be edited 'for the sensitive types' and I'd get a bloody infraction as well.
Its on YouTube if you care. It also has the great quote;

"Ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved? . . . Their eyes real close together. Eyebrow ridges. Big, furry hands and feet. 'I believe God created me in one day.' Looks like he rushed it.'"
'Hicks' and 'dinosaur' in Youtube will bring it up

Any evidence to suggest this? The video shows an amputheater with about 5 people in the audience and just becaus they were there when he said it, doesnt mean they were listening and it definatly doesnt imply that they embraced it.

Im not really looking for altererior motives. Its just when a 5 year old news story re-surfaces for what seems like no reason, somthing else must be going on...

Evidence??? How about Hitler??? The guy who was instrumental in the Jamestown "suicides", David Koresh, of whatever his name was with the Davidians..................... to cite just a couple of many!!!!!!!

I take the view that I don't necessarily have to respect some one's religion --indeed , there are many facets of many religions that I find sickening and completely unworthy of any respect what-so-ever....BUT , I think it's important to respect another persons religious beleifs .....respect that the other guy likes that particular story book.

I know, what an idiot! Aside from the problems I have with the content of his speech (although keep in mind many Anglo-Australian men believed the same thing until only a generation or two ago - some still do...) I can't believe he thought it would be a good idea. I mean don't they have a PR department at the mosque or something? It's like he sat down with the other imams and said, "Now, let's work out how we can make Australian Muslims look as bad as possible. What should I say at prayers this week which will offend/outrage everyone?"

This is an example of where religion crosses the line of what should be tolerated. The idea of keeping women as pets is quite offensive to modern Australian culture, however they are only preaching their religion. Some Christian sects also treat women like pets. However it is only really the most primative small minded biggots who still follow these sort of things, many religious ppl are quite sensible and dont cause any bother to anyone. IMO anyone claiming to represtent any god/s should have to pass a test that would kill a human without divine intervention, until then any talk of mythical creatures or gods should be treated as the fiction it is.

I often wonder though, is it the ones who stick at their religion in its true form(eg. flat world, no gravity, pet women, evolution etc.) or the ones who keep changing it to keep up who are the worst? What ever happened to the Greek and Roman gods? they were pretty cool i reckon.

This is an example of where religion crosses the line of what should be tolerated. The idea of keeping women as pets is quite offensive to modern Australian culture, however they are only preaching their religion. .

That's why it's dangerous, because their leaders say it should be so, they blindly believe it!!!!!!! Female circumcision is promoted as a spiritual/religious thing, predominantly in Africa, but because those who still listen, hundreds, or thousands of young girls suffer this cruel mutilation. I could wax lyrical for a long while, but it's enough to know such blind faith happens!

Sorry for taking so long everyone!

what i wanted to know is sif i die a jahovis, and it turns out that the big man up theres ways are really ment to be the catholic ways would that mean i go to hell according to what is taught by the jahovis people?

Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in hell :).

Who defines perfect?
God. He created us, so I would say he would have a pretty good idea of perfection ;).

REALLY ??? is that what they believe ??? :shock::shock:
Yes, but subjection in a loving and caring war. Not cruel or in a 'slave/master' sense.

"A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a ****** cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant."
:lol: I like that :). Just FYI, JW's don't use idols, as per scripture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back