ARR! My electricity bill doubled!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My bill was $150 this time last year. This year its $330.
i run
2 x 100 watt heat globes
1 x 150 watt heat globe
1 x 125 watt MVB in the day only
1 x 26 watt UVA/UVB globe in the day only
1 x heat mat (dont know wattage, but its very small for a stimi in a click clack).
1 x 15 watt heat cord

the bill sain i use 21 untits a day on average @ $5 a day.

i use
150 watt ceramic heat light 24/7
1x 7m heat cord i think it's 50 watt 24/7
3 heat matts 24/7
3x uv lights 15 watts
only pay $4 a day not that bad just think if you had no electricity at all & you had to go & buy bags of ice to keep your food cold plus no tv no aussie pythons etc what would we do

Ours have doubled too stimilove. It's just WA. We only have one supplier to choose from. So no competition to help keep competitive prices.

Electricity prices in Canberra have gone up 18% and will double again in 12 months. Tha ts probably the biggest reason as all providers a.re putting up prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure your meter reading was correct, I had a doubled billed 6 months ago because the power man refused to check the box in the backyard (too much effort to get through the gate apparently!) and he guestimated my power usage... my next 2 bills and interstate transfer costs ended up being free =D

Need a bicycle hooked up to a generator to power my house. Or a massive rat wheel to generator.

It's a good idea just need to iron out the kinks.

I seen on tv acouple of weeks ago 2 men were growing a massive amount of pot and they had these boxes that stop the power usage going sky high ??? How do they work ?

My bill was $150 this time last year. This year its $330.
i run
2 x 100 watt heat globes
1 x 150 watt heat globe
1 x 125 watt MVB in the day only
1 x 26 watt UVA/UVB globe in the day only
1 x heat mat (dont know wattage, but its very small for a stimi in a click clack).
1 x 15 watt heat cord

the bill sain i use 21 untits a day on average @ $5 a day.

You are using about 10.9kwh a day so half of your usage. Think about not using night time heat, using thermostats, or ditching the energy hungry heat globes and ceramics.

You are using about 10.9kwh a day so half of your usage. Think about not using night time heat, using thermostats, or ditching the energy hungry heat globes and ceramics.

I use thermostats on all my heating for safety reasons. Its really cold right now and i have a very young dragon that needs night time heat. Thinking maybe some heat mats for the snakes are the way to go and leave the hungry heat lamp for the one dragon.
I have 2 more snakes coming up soon so might even heat mat/cord them too.

Check your usage against the usage same time last year. My power bill here in Sydney has almost doubled. Using the same amount of energy.:evil:

seriously - nothing has changed. Routine is as normal with dish washers ets. TV would be on less if anything. No air con or heaters running, i never leave anything on standby and turn all power mains off at night, except for the fridge. And the price only went up 1 cent per unit.

So if you all think its a bit much just for 3 heat globes, i might have to call the power people and ask them to re-read the metre.

Bugga.... thats why you'll often read heat related posts and I say heat pads or cords (20w ish) are cheaper to run than emitters & heatlamps. If an emitter is 150w..... it uses 150w per hour.... if you have a heatmat that uses only 20-25w per hour (on thermostat) it is a heck of a lot cheaper to run (so you can afford to buy more reptiles) :lol:

Didnt wokka just say they cost $4 a day to run?
That was for 3 x 150 watt plus the uvs. As previously explained: a 150 watt heater uses 150 watts of power each hour x 24 hours =3600 watts /1000 =3.4 kilowatts. If you look at you electricity bill you will find the cost per kilowatt which is normally about 30 cents now, but will be say 60 cents within 10 years. So now it costs 3.4 x $0.25 per day to run a 150 watt globe = $1.02 per day

To minimise costs you need to heat efficiently,only when you need to, and only heat the snake not the whole environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didnt wokka just say they cost $4 a day to run?

Yes, we were quoting two seperate people and two different power usages.

Your kwh rate also has a big impact and if you are on peak/off peak or flat rate. I think I'm paying 22 or 23 cents but if you are up at 30cents a kwh you will be paying 30% more.

Irrespective of the price of electricity it is sensible not to waste it. Electricity comes at considerable cost to the environment, so the less we use the slower we destroy the environment by producing electricity to waste.
I live in the Hunter Valley and see the direct environmental damage of huge holes in the ground where coal and native bush once was. There is also the less direct cost of the communities and businesses which are destroyed as the mighty coal machine takes any available rescources to keep it rolling along!

I have 6 heat lamps a heat cord and heat mat on 24-7 and 3 basking and uv on during the day. In winter the power bill is $600 to $700 dollars (the humans get no heat) thats with 4 adults now so every other appliance works harder too. I keep the reptile room at a constant temp by using heavy curtains, floor coverings and blocking under the door with a towel to try and trap the heat they create in there. And on really cold days you live in there with them! Going there now bye!

Irrespective of the price of electricity it is sensible not to waste it. Electricity comes at considerable cost to the environment, so the less we use the slower we destroy the environment by producing electricity to waste.
I live in the Hunter Valley and see the direct environmental damage of huge holes in the ground where coal and native bush once was. There is also the less direct cost of the communities and businesses which are destroyed as the mighty coal machine takes any available rescources to keep it rolling along!

Your kidding yourself if you think a few lights and heaters will make a difference to the environment. It would be like trying to empty the ocean one bucket at a time. The problem is industry. High rise offices running thousands of lights, heating and cooling, lifts, escalators, etc. Street lighting, shop fronts, trains and trams, the amount of power to heat or cool your local shopping centre is massive! then there's manufacturing with massive motors, AC, conveyors, power tools, industrial ovens, etc etc.. People always bring it back to domestic responsibility, but really this doesnt even account for 25% of power usage. Same with water... Any difference the domestic sector makes is gobbled up by industry. To make a difference we need to target the big energy users.

But Les, you should be happy with a $300 power bill! It's quite a modest bill for Perth in 2012.

Your kidding yourself if you think a few lights and heaters will make a difference to the environment. It would be like trying to empty the ocean one bucket at a time. The problem is industry. High rise offices running thousands of lights, heating and cooling, lifts, escalators, etc. Street lighting, shop fronts, trains and trams, the amount of power to heat or cool your local shopping centre is massive! then there's manufacturing with massive motors, AC, conveyors, power tools, industrial ovens, etc etc.. People always bring it back to domestic responsibility, but really this doesnt even account for 25% of power usage. Same with water... Any difference the domestic sector makes is gobbled up by industry. To make a difference we need to target the big energy users.

+1

As Wokka says, using those devices (ceramics, globes) is about the most wasteful, inefficient and expensive way to heat your reptiles (lizards other than geckos excepted - they need light). Heat mats or heat cords are way more efficient, and give the snakes something warm to lie on, so you get a direct transmission of warmth from source to the animal with very little loss to the air before the animal absorbs the heat it needs. They also indirectly increase the ambient air temperature in the enclosure as a side benefit, rather than heating the air from which the snake has to then absorb warmth. This is very wasteful.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back