Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleigh:]

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My olive python hatchie still hasnt ate, contimplating feeding it a frozen finch as i got given one to scent the rats with, but after that oen dont know where i will then buy them from, So I was wondering about assist feeding, She is about 3 months old now and has had only one feed on the 17th of Jan 07.

I was wondering whether anyone in Bris would be able to help me out??

Cheers, Ashleigh. :)

No I havent handled her apart from putting her into a seperate dish about 4 times.
Thats it!
I mean, I was SOOOO excited about getting her and now I cant even hold her..

And I have tried..
Braining
Leaving in over night
Scenting with finch (basically every time)
Scenting with quail
Tried both rats & mice
Tried live

I am going to get a finch 2morrow as well, to try feeding my male from the same clutch. We have a pinky pump here that I am thinking of using very soon. Let me know if you want to use it on yours too. If the finch fails 2 morrow I will use the finch and not just use it for scenting. If that fails,as I said, I will be using the pinky pump and assist feeding.

Yer adam, The only thing with the finch is, after the one i already have frozen, i dont know where to get them from again, As I wouldnt be able to kill it myself (yer I know im a wimp).

Its good that she is not being handled. How long does each feed attempt take? I have often had luck with problem feeders by extended "offerings". Can be stressful to both snake and owner, but a good 10 minutes of "gently" slapping the snake across the face and body with the food item often results in a defensive strike which rapidly turns into a succesful feed.
Skink scenting also works well. All you need is a dropped tail. Good luck

have u put ur snakey in a quiet room and covered the enclosure wif a towel or something and try and make it a fairly small enclosure.. so just leave em for days.. wif a heat mat on 1 side to encourage metabloism..?? then just putting bled pinkie in over night on the heat mat side so it stays warm all nite.. cover snake back up and leave.. it has worked for me b4.. but previous to it working i did consult a vet about wot to do.. and he said if she hadnt eaten in another week, he wood assist feed her becos she was emaciated..and dehydrated, when i got her.. hope this helps.. cheers and good luck..

Ash if you like I can get and freeze a couple of Finches and knock 'em and freeze 'em for ya. I will being doing all this 2morrow. Once they have eaten a finch I will be trying scented rat pinkies with a finch. Let me know what happens.

Ash if you like I can get and freeze a couple of Finches and knock 'em and freeze 'em for ya. I will being doing all this 2morrow. Once they have eaten a finch I will be trying scented rat pinkies with a finch. Let me know what happens.

Thanks anyway Ad but the gold coast is way too far away to travel just to get some finches as I dont have a license.

have u put ur snakey in a quiet room and covered the enclosure wif a towel or something and try and make it a fairly small enclosure.. so just leave em for days.. wif a heat mat on 1 side to encourage metabloism..?? then just putting bled pinkie in over night on the heat mat side so it stays warm all nite.. cover snake back up and leave.. it has worked for me b4.. but previous to it working i did consult a vet about wot to do.. and he said if she hadnt eaten in another week, he wood assist feed her becos she was emaciated..and dehydrated, when i got her.. hope this helps.. cheers and good luck..

Yer She is already in a 'quiet room', shes in my bedroom but i never go in there apart form when i go to bed and wake up LOL.
And I have brained a rat before and left it in the hot end over night.. Done this several times actually, still no go.

Its good that she is not being handled. How long does each feed attempt take? I have often had luck with problem feeders by extended "offerings". Can be stressful to both snake and owner, but a good 10 minutes of "gently" slapping the snake across the face and body with the food item often results in a defensive strike which rapidly turns into a succesful feed.
Skink scenting also works well. All you need is a dropped tail. Good luck

Yer I have tried everything, normally probaly 'stirring' her up with it for about 10-15 mins, then just leave it in there overnight.

She isnt an aggresive snake, shes very very placid compared to her siblings. And is therefore very hard to stir up, i havent been able to stir her up in fact LOL.

Thanks for your replys guys!

Still looking if someone in the north brissie area would be able to help me assist feed??
Cheers.

Thats so sad ashleigh i know just what your going through as MlakMlak still hasnt fed on his own and i have been getting shown how to force feed but im just hopeless at it, i keep worring that im hurting the snake and so my husband ends u taking over. I have heard that the pet store at strathpine (pine rivers pet aquarium) help ppl with problem feeders and they will be able to give you some advice about feeding, not definate but i think they charge about $10 a go, so thats not too bad and at least some one experienced is dealing with your snake. give them a call and have a chat to them about your probelm. ask for Brendan 3205 2714.
Hope this helps.

Vets assist feed too.
Also, did you guys buy your snakes from breeders? As I thought it wasn't really smiled upon to sell non-feeders?

Is she losing condition? I wouldnt be too concerned about force feeding just yet....How is she looking weight wise? And is she active? Use her water?

Hey ash my two from the same people haven't eaten as well , trying the finch thing on the weekend maybe , and can get you frozen finches as well

wonder if we can mail some? hehe

Tiss a bugger having new snakes and not being able to touch them :(

Vets assist feed too.
Also, did you guys buy your snakes from breeders? As I thought it wasn't really smiled upon to sell non-feeders?
Ashleigh's snake was bought as having one feed.
We purchased off the same breeder as a non feeder.
Great breeder and im pretty sure he has already offered Ashleigh advice and told her she can go back there for assistance? Correct me if i'm wrong ash...thats just what he has passed on to me...

Vets assist feed too.

yer a breeder , but only found out they had only one feed before we picked them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back