Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leamos

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a bit of conflicting info/advice on feeding day old chicks, particularly on the subject of removing the yolk. Same people feed them as is, others remove the yolk saying its either a potential health risk and/or its what gives the snake the trots. Whats the common concensus these days? No one seems to be concerned with removing the yolk of day old quails why are DOC any different? I'd love to hear from those who feed day old chicks regularly/exclusively to help shed some light on the issue

I have fed day old chics to all my pythons for the last 3 years.....Being BHP, Diamonds, Coastals, Spotteds and my Bredli when i had them. Fresh killed and frozen, I only remove the yolk from fresh killed if the chics been disembowled..... There excrement is always disgusting but i change there feed from chics, mice, rats and quail.... Personally the only way i see it could be heath risk, is if the chics been dead for some time and its starting to decompose........

Kenno, how do I get the yolk out without guts going everywhere when the snake constricts it?

I don't remove and never have. I think the main argument was the vitamin A content but looking at nutritional charts they don't have much more than rats of the same weight. I haven't noticed any health problems fom it, if anything my womas put on more mass than they would with rats. Their crap is friggin disgusting at times though!

Well I only plan on feeding day olds every 5th or 6th feed as a treat so hopefully the smell isn't too much of an issue, i've fed young quails before and never noticed a difference in the smell.

Its the consistency of the stool that changes. It goes a bit runny when I feed chicks. I do not remove yolk and only use chicks when low on rats.....

Its the consistency of the stool that changes. It goes a bit runny when I feed chicks. I do not remove yolk and only use chicks when low on rats.....

^^This.

I use day old chicks when my supply of rats become low and I have only one animal who refuses to eat them.
Stools are fowl..*pun intended* :lol:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back