Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetangel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if anyone had been to the australian reptile centre in Canberra? If so is it worth going to? I have a few hours to kill and am thinking of heading there. So yeah is it worth it? :)

Do you mean the Canberra Reptile Sanctuary? Or is there another reptile place?

I been to the reptile sanctuary in canberra, it was pretty good. Just abit expensive for the amount of animals there. Although the enclosures are really nice and clean.
But have fun if you go.

Hey Sweetangel. I haven't been there, normally when I'm in Canberra I visit Canberra Exotic Pets in Kambah, he's got a few animals to look at. He doesn't charge either. If you do go to the other reptile place, please tell us what you think of it, I'm often in Canberra with spare time and I'd love to check it out if it's worth it.

It's alright. Nothing amazing but still nice to have a look. The enclosures are nice and very clean. From memory they only have about 10-15 snakes and a couple of blue tounges, shinglebacks and beardies. They have an 'information' room as well with some pretty interesting stuff. I'd say it's worth it if you need to kill time.

Its well worth a look, i think it costs $9 to go in but there are some nice animals to see. They are in the process of upgrading it and getting some new reptiles including exotics. I havnt been there now for about a month so i will have to go have a look again soon. But Kambah exotics is also good for a look and doesnt cost anything to get in.

The National Zoo in Canberra is really good, but it takes a little longer to get around it than just a few hours and they have quite a few reptiles

Ok so just got back from it. Took a few pics which I'll put up when I get home. But yeah it was very expensive for what's there. There was some interesting stuff though, 2 johnstons dwarf fresh water crocs, then a cage with a big scrubby, coastal and jungle that shared with 2 green frogs. There was a water python, boyds forest dragon, small gtp, bts, eastern brown, tiger snakes, Jacky dragon, pair of diamonds, pair of bredli, about 6 central netted dragons, Stimson python, shingle backs, beardies, and an inland tiapan. So that was their main room. The enclosures were clean but quite boring. They did have another room that rhey were putting together. That was going to have a few exotic things like boas or retics. And it had a pair if laceys and pig nose turtles. So a few interesting things. And I think maybe a few more cool things to come. We were only there fir about 30 mins to look at everything but that was plenty of time. So it was pleasant but not sure I would go again or really bother. I would visit the zoo rather :)

Hi Amy
Well from all the team here at the Sanctuary we are sorry you feel that it was "very expensive".
But do keep in mind, for the $9 admission for yourself, you walked away with a $10 magazine and free entry pass for the next time.

And to others that consider the admission expensive, please consider that in order to have animals on display there is insurance (as you can imagine having venomous animals puts that up), there is rent (more than most people’s wages for a year), feeding, electricity, the list goes on. These costs all need to be covered otherwise we don’t open the doors. We arent just a yearly event, we are here every day.

Lastly consider that we are a not for profit association, without any government assistance, therefore the money that comes in - from the people that visit - pays the bills and the rest goes into research, conservation, and education. Staff don’t even get paid, we all volunteer our time because we believe in what the centre is about.

Thus I would like to thank those that have come and have donated money, or adopted animals, or donated animals for that matter like Michael Cermac. They are the champions, as those are the ones that assist us to reach the goals of making sure the next generation understands a bit about wildlife and that a dead snake is not a good snake, or allowing us to give to research and conservation projects.

So if the $9 admission really is that expensive - just consider what you just spent on lunch or how much that new CD was. At least you can be confident knowing that the $9 went purely into keeping those ideals of education, research and conservation alive without the interference of political bureaucracy who may have chosen to give your taxed $9 to prop up a football team, or pay for the pope to visit Australia.

If you read this far, then thank you for your support, and sorry to those that don’t see the value.

All the best

Ok so just got back from it. Took a few pics which I'll put up when I get home. But yeah it was very expensive for what's there. There was some interesting stuff though, 2 johnstons dwarf fresh water crocs, then a cage with a big scrubby, coastal and jungle that shared with 2 green frogs. There was a water python, boyds forest dragon, small gtp, bts, eastern brown, tiger snakes, Jacky dragon, pair of diamonds, pair of bredli, about 6 central netted dragons, Stimson python, shingle backs, beardies, and an inland tiapan. So that was their main room. The enclosures were clean but quite boring. They did have another room that rhey were putting together. That was going to have a few exotic things like boas or retics. And it had a pair if laceys and pig nose turtles. So a few interesting things. And I think maybe a few more cool things to come. We were only there fir about 30 mins to look at everything but that was plenty of time. So it was pleasant but not sure I would go again or really bother. I would visit the zoo rather :)
I can totally see how spending $9 to look at a place solely dedicated to reptiles would be not worth it compared to the $25-$30 you'd pay to go to the zoo and (maybe, if they're out) see a few reptiles in a dark room and a heap of other animals you may or may not be interested in........................

I haven't been to the ARC since it became the ARS, but I look forward to going next time I'm in town.

I can't say I agree about the Canberra Exotics idea, but each to their own.

My God, $9.- too expensive? You should come up north; Cairns Tropical Zoo, Haryley's Adventures charge $27.- per person, the Butterfly sanctuary $15.- and the rest is similar. You don't even get free kangaroo food in a brown paper bag, you have to buy it.
Last time I visited the Wildlife World at Daring Harbour and the aquarium, I paid close to $50.-
By the way, I paid 9 bucks for fish & chips yesterday at Stocklands food court - how does that compare?

I went a couple months back was happy to pay the price isnt much you can do for that amount now days ..... just think alot of you complain how much it cost you all to feed your collections .... alot of time and money is invested there ..... i paid the money .... didnt get free entry or a mag .... and had a great time ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back