B+ for Pete - Donate blood and save a life

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How old do you need to be to donate?
And how much do you have to weigh?

Its great to see everyone donating!

There's no specific weight or anything, the ammount they take depends on how much you weigh. I'm not sure of the age, if ur under 18 i recon the best thing to do is have a chat to your folks and then give them a call on the hotline and ask them.

I donated this arvo, even though it's a bit shy of 3 months since my last donation. I called and checked and they said it was fine! I just sat and read my Who magazine in peace for 10 minutes, got my free ham sandwich and juice and headed off home!

Shadowsabre, just FYI it is actually O- which is the universal donor - you can only give to other Rh+ blood types - still essential though! Hetty, they prefer to give blood to an exact type match, and only give the alternate types in an emergency, so your blood is perfect for 1.5-3% of the population! Woohoo!!!

I've often thought about donating blood (I'm an organ donor also) but always used the time-factor issue as an excuse. I know it's nor good enough to hide behind such excuses, especially when lives are at stake, so when I get back home i'll start making regular appointments!

I'm sorry about your friend.

I wish SO much that I could, I rang the red cross and booked in but once they started asking questions and it came to heart problems, they baulked sauce I had a hole in the heart repaired, they fixed it as they would do a cardiac cathaterisation......... through the femoral artery, a tube with a device to block the hole - I told them it was nothing, and I've had no problems since but they refused me. Anyone know of a way to get around it????? I thought of just not saying anything about it, but why would they refuse me in the first place??????

I thought of just not saying anything about it, but why would they refuse me in the first place??????

They are only refusing you for your own health or the safety of recipients. It would be silly to risk your health just to donate blood - don't feel bad!

The form that you sign is a statutory declaration so it is legally binding so it's probably best not to lie.

They are only refusing you for your own health or the safety of recipients. It would be silly to risk your health just to donate blood - don't feel bad!

The form that you sign is a statutory declaration so it is legally binding so it's probably best not to lie.

I hae just gone to the site posted earlier............ as an Insulin dependent diabetic, I think I'll just have to ring them and see if I can convince them......................... in the meantime, i'll just have to badger the entire family!! Good luck, I hope all goes well with your blood drive.

Ive been a regular donor for the past 12 months, its only a small inconvenience for something that could save someones life.

Good stuff motman :)

come on people its not that hard and you will be happy with yourself for doing it. i would love to but i have cystic fibrosis and apparently thats a NO NO for me to donate.

I really enjoy giving blood cause I figure if I can't afford to donate money, then that's the next best thing. I was a regular donor for years but unfortunately they won't take my blood anymore due to me being on a high dose of diabetic meds.

It's a great way of honouring your friend...well done.

C'mon folks they use so much of this stuff that every little drop counts. It could be you one of these days too!

I have someone calling me on monday to arrange an appointment:)

i would donate but im to young and also im not good around blood, even my own. when im old enough i will anywayz though.

soz about ur mate

when i turn 16 i promise i will donate regularly. only 3years till i can. I have some family friends who need blood so i might as well try help.

Sorry about ur mate. RIP pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back