Beardies Twitching Legs-Advice Please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbird

Reaction score
I have noticed on three or four occasions over the past week that my two 11 week old beardies have twitched their legs. I am concerned that this is due to calcium deficiency and I have tried to call my vet, but he is away until Monday.

Can anyone give me any advice in the meantime please?

I’ll give some info on my set up etc:

I feed my beardies twice a day and they have about 7-8 small crix at each meal. I dust the crix with a mixture of 4:1 rep-cal and herptivite at the morning feed only. I also offer veggies every day, usually Asian salad greens and butternut squash, which I sprinkle with crushed beardie pellets and they have been eating small amounts of this.

The basking spot in my enclosure ranges between 37-42˚C (98-107˚F) and the cool end is usually around 28-30˚C (82-86˚F). I know these temps are a little on the high side, but this is on the advice of my vet. My enclosure is 4ft by 2ft.

The beardies can get within 6inches of the UV light, which is on for 15 hours a day.

Should I dust the crix with the calcium and vitamin powder at both meals?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

They are still moving around fine and are both quite active, one a bit more so than the other.

The substrate is astro turf. I am intending to change to sand when they are a bit older.

.....And I have seen both front and back legs twitch.

When it happens, it only lasts for about a second. When it's the hind legs that are twitching, it almost looks like they are trying to scratch themselves like a dog would. I thought maybe it could be mites, but have looked and can't find any.

what brand is the UVB light?
how old is it?
and do they actually use it?

try taking them out into the sun for a while, make sure they dont escape though, those mesh flexarium things are a great investment.

check that theres no ants on them,...mine will twitch when an ant crawls over them

and the other option is a thiamine deficiency from not eating their greens,..
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Hypothiaminisis.html

i wouldnt add more calcium to their diets cos too much (especially the stuff with added D3) can cause similar symptoms as not enough

I have seen mine do this just when their going to shed like their trying to get rid of the dry peeling skin could this be possibly the case for you

Chris1 - I'm pretty sure the UV light is a repti-glo 10.0 and it's 5 weeks old. They do use it as I have positioned a log underneath that they sit on quite a bit. It's a bit tricky for me to take them outside as I don't have a garden. I guess, if I get one of those mesh vivarium things, I could put them out the front for an hour or so at the weekend if it's sunny.

dragon170 - Mine were shedding last week and this is why I thought they were doing it too. However, I have become concerned as they are still doing it. Having said that, I'm pretty sure they still have bits of shed skin still attached to them despite me giving them regular baths to assist shedding. Maybe this is why they are doing it.

How long does an average shed last?

I personally would only give them calcium and vitamins only a couple of times a week....too much calcium can be as bad as not enough! JMO!

get them out in the sun every day for at least 20 minutes.
As you cant get outside Open a window that the sun comes through and place them in the sun as soon as possible they need uv.
The uv helps them take up the nutrients they need eg calcium. This usually works .Glass stops a lot of uv so make sure the sun is not filtered by any thing.
Give them a shaded spot as well they should do the rest.
Hope this helps i have used this in the past and had success. jmo.

For their age I think cacium once a meal is fine,I give mine that (dusted crixs) and they seem good with that,I would get them out in the natural sun more IMO,I also don't live in a house so I know it can be hard however it is better than any light IMO.I have an indoor and outdoor enclosure for them,cost $20 for the outside enclosure and they love it.I put them out everyday for as long as I can.Are they pooing ok?HOw many times a day?What does it look like?also when mine shed they somtimes shed different parts of their body at different times so that is maybe why they are still doing it.Just a possibility.Mist them a couple of times daily,monitor their poos,even give them a bath to assist shedding(can't hurt),otherwise I hope they will be ok. Good luck with them.

I agree with Fay, I wouldn't be giving the calcium and vatamins EVERY day!!
Also, the tube, reptisun, only goes up to an 8.

Have them come into contact with any bug spray etc etc? The twitching sounds more neurological to me.

Simone.

Benson - the exo terra repti glo tubes go up to 10.0:
http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/linear_bulbs.php

frankc - I think I will get one of those flexarium things so I can put them outside or at least near a window. I would only be able to do it the weekend though as I leave for work before the sun is fully up and come home when it's almost dark (I live in Melbourne so the days are pretty short at the moment)! They are pooing about once a day and it is dark with a white bit. Sometimes I notice green or orange in it, which I think is the salad / squash that I give them. I mist them at least twice a day and I have been bathing them once every two to three days.

Just want to say thanks to everyone who has given advice. It's all helpful and good to take on board everyones experiences and opinions!:) Please keep it coming!

Bigbird, I retail these tubes, and only have- 2, 5 & 8.
I have never seen the 10 in this brand.

johnbowemonie - They haven't come into contact with any sprays. I use Wipe Out to clean their enclosure and make sure I air the enclosure well before I put them back. I don't use any bug sprays or any other kind of spray in the house and have been careful about only using one cloth to clean their enclosure, which I don't use for anything else. When I dry anything off like their feeding / water bowls, I use paper towl.

benson - I think we may have our wires crossed. I have a exo terra repti-glo tube and after re-reading your original post, I noticed you mentioned a repti-sun tube. Are these the same thing? I have checked the exo terra website and the repti-glo fluro tubes are definitely listed as 2, 5 and 10 and I know that I have a 10.

even just on weekends is great, they have a good artificial UV source so its just 4 a boost.

repti glo and repti sun are different brands, but both good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back