been asked to do a talk at the primary school

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBANG

Reaction score
hey guys i live in a tiny town and our primary school only has 13 kids in it, and after some of the kids coming across an eastern brown the other day on the way home, the school has decided the kids need some education on snakes. As we live in the middle of nowhere snakes are very common around town, and getting someone out here to do an educational talk is not only expensive but nearly impossible so some of the parents have suggested i do it as they know i keep snakes and have been dealing with venomous snakes since i was a kid. Now i havent done a talk like this to kids between the ages of 6-12 so was hoping someone on here does these talks or some of the more experienced keepers could give me some points to touch on that little kids will understand...... for such a small school they have a fair amount of technology, so was going to make use of their electronic white board that is connected to the internet to show some photos of the snakes found around here, and am going to take a couple of my pythons in to show them what snakes actually look like.

Any advice will be good

we went and saw one while we were on hols, the guy running it taught kids not to run but to "be a tree" if they saw a snake. i think that was a great way to describe it.

and of course point out that most bites occur if you interfere with snakes.

Myself and one of the other guys on here did the same thing earlier this year for schools near each of us. My son and daughter's classmates still talk about when I brought Skittles my Mac in to show them. We talked about keeping them as pets primarily but the big thing I talked about was respecting rather than fearing them, leaving ALL snakes in the wild alone and about not moving suddenly/abruptly near them.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the thread from the time... www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/rules-show-tell-180437/

You're going to love it but just find out about the legalities of taking pythons to a talk at school.

Rediculous as it may seem, taking live harmless snakes or any native animals for a talk may require you to get a temporary demonstraters licence,
and now you have posted your intention on the internet you might find some negative comments your way.

Like I said, its great fun and very scary the first tim, but just remember the 5 ps..
Proper
preparation
prevents
piss
poor
presentation.

Good luck

The legalities are quite easy. You just contact your licensing body a few weeks before you're due to go and outline what you intend to do. It's more of a formality than anything, we looked into it in that thread I linked.

Allow the kids to come up to you to touch the snake rather than walk it around the class. That way you won't spook anyone who is out of their comfort zone. Also, it enables you to keep the head out of the road, thus removing any slight risk of a bitten kid :lol: (I said slight :D). As mentioned, there are legal issues, but..... I've done it a few times and everyone lived :lol:

i took our MD to Tilly's preschool for a quick show and tell on the way to the vets (its literally across the road) and was amazed by the questions that these 3-5 year old minds came up with... (do they peel themselves when they get too big for their skin? i have a guinea pig, would a snake eat it? and a few others i can't remember, but definitely a laugh) i was amazed that there was only 1 or 2 out of 25 that were too scared to hold or pat the snake.

Skittles was only new for me at the time and so I kept it hands off, she got stressed enough by the end of the second session so I was glad it went as well as it did. But they will definitely fire questions of all sorts at you. It's a great experience for you as much as for the kids.

You're going to love it but just find out about the legalities of taking pythons to a talk at school.

Rediculous as it may seem, taking live harmless snakes or any native animals for a talk may require you to get a temporary demonstraters licence,
and now you have posted your intention on the internet you might find some negative comments your way.

Like I said, its great fun and very scary the first tim, but just remember the 5 ps..
Proper
preparation
prevents
piss
poor
presentation.

Good luck
thanks mate who is it i need to contact is it DSE or some other body?

And thanks for the info guys i did a few talks back in my high school days and took my snakes in but they were more projects for biology and enviro. i wanna try give the kids a respect for snakes but to understand the dangers the pose but not to fear them enough that they kill when older.

- - - Updated - - -

we went and saw one while we were on hols, the guy running it taught kids not to run but to "be a tree" if they saw a snake. i think that was a great way to describe it.

and of course point out that most bites occur if you interfere with snakes.
i saw that whole "be a tree" talk from a bloke doing an expo when i was about 13, and bugger me if i didnt need it one day soon after out looking for snakes with a mate, my mate came across an EB and said " found one" i said " yeah where abouts" then he said "heading your way" as i was standing up hill from my mate i looked down and saw it heading straight at me at a great rate of knots, too late to move i said " f%$# i hope this works" and stood there and the snake slid straight over my left boot and between my legs and continued on up the hill!!! till we pulled him up for a few photos.

Proper
preparation
prevents
piss
poor
presentation.

Good luck

Am I the only one who noticed 6 p's there lol

Contact Wildlife Licensing at DSE and ask for a one off Authorisation under section 28A of the Wildlife Act to do the talk. Such an Authorisation is free of charge and comes with conditions attached.

I think just emphasize the point that if you see a snake in the wild..LEAVE IT ALONE. Too many people get bitten by venomous snakes just because they try to play hero and get too close! I love my pythons but anything venomous gives me the willies lol :)
Have fun! I recently let my 5 year old cousin hold my Stimson python. First thoughts: Eww snakes are evil! Thoughts afterwards: Snakes in the wild are yucky but your snake is cute. New second favorite animal (after zebras' haha) Gotta be happy with that!

You live in a town where the school has 13 kids, don't mean to sound like an anarchist, but screw getting getting a permit for this. No one knows when or where you're doing this and the time consumed to sort out the permit is hardly worth the say half hour talk you might give...
Let common sense prevail on this one.

flame away...

I'd love to be able to do more educational stuff, but a this stage I only work with pythons. I was lucky enough to have Bob Withey allow me to bring a few of my carpets along to one of his shows recently and supervise me with the crowd, showing them my docile Diamond and Bredli and having Bob put his Central beardie on my head, that just didn't want to let go! Anyhow more people do need to be educated, even with animals as basic as carpets, ranging up to vens. I learnt alot about vens at Bobs show and I'd love to get involved in more shows.

Am I the only one who noticed 6 p's there lol
The original quote only has 5 p's in it. Guess which one is extra? Still, makes for a nice change... most people like to take the piss out! Good onya ssssnakeman.

Blue

Hey there - firstly, well done on taking the whole initiative and turning it into a positive. And secondly, for having the guts...

I've been teaching now for a number of years, and I remember the first time I got up in front of a class - well, let's say the 5 or 6 p's is essential (lucky I already had that).

I don't think I bore you with what to say about snakes, you've got that down no problems! But, your stories, this is what will entice the kiddies of that age... They don't want to learn about snakies... They want to hear how you were nearly killed by an EB but instead you became a tree and it slithered over you - even I was fixated with that story!!!

So, plenty of real life experiences, let them ask the stupidest questions... And have a ball!!!

When those kids go home after school, they won't be saying to their mum how they learnt their multiplication tables, they're going to say the 'snake man' came to school :)

I do this often with a snake on a scientific license at school. I am very attentive to hygiene when they are allowed to touch the snake. Have a teacher give them a squirt of hand wash afterwards. Assuming that the conditions allow students to touch your animals (I can't for community groups and special permission), it works well to have them hold their hands flat and let the snake lie on the palms while you control the head. They love to feel the muscles contract as a big python slowly crawls.

Take in a few spare sloughs for the school to keep and for the more timid kids to touch. During the touch time, I would have a few sheets of poster paper out and get the kids started on designing a poster about snakes and your talk. Perhaps they could collaborate on a snake safety poster for the school. This reinforces the message. I was delighted when year 2 students drew a picture of my school python and labelled features such as camouflage spots, heat pits and eyes. They also all want to know "where the poo comes out". if you can show the spurs, it is very exciting. I have a male in my classroom, so this works well.

I also like to bring in a packet of jelly snakes and ask some questions beforehand, rewarding good answers with a jelly snake. Make sure everyone gets one before the end!

it is seven Ps that i tell prospective fellow hikers who join me on wanders: proper prior preparation prevents a piss poor performance.

in regards to snakes at school i think pythonmum has addressed all the key points. my school makes use of my pets a couple of times a year. i add that you should let kids come to you and the python, and let the less keen students stay back, also insist on cool calm behaviour and no sudden movements.

You live in a town where the school has 13 kids, don't mean to sound like an anarchist, but screw getting getting a permit for this. No one knows when or where you're doing this and the time consumed to sort out the permit is hardly worth the say half hour talk you might give...
Let common sense prevail on this one.

flame away...

I tend to agree with you but the interesting part from the NSW guys I spoke to is that they pretty much won't say no anyway but they like to have the statistics so they can try to get more leniant regulations in place. The more they can show how popular herps are the more chance they have to sway the relevent minsiter when they try to bring in new laws and regs.

In such a small situation I would probably be happy with just getting the school to get signed permission notes from the parents as it only takes one sour puss to land you in the poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back