been asked to do a talk at the primary school

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every demonstration I have been too I never once saw them asking the public to wash their hands, most of these were performed in shopping malls and pet shops where "stray scents" are quite common, if these smells illicit feeding responses then why aren't people get bitten left, right and centre? I always presumed it was from the snakes being desensitized, what do you think the reason is behind it?

90% of the public dont play with mice, rats or DOC. Those that do probably wash their hands afterwards too. The risk is obviously quite small.

Today Im giving a talk to a group of workers who have been coming into contact with snakes on a daily basis and i have been asked to talk about how we can keep the snakes, and the staff, from being hurt in these meetings.
I will be taking some of my own snakes aswell as some of these guys, there is about 30 expected, have never seen a snake up close, let alone actually handled one.
As these guys work in pits they are finding snakes that have fallen in and become trapped.
Should be a fun day.
Im excited

Today Im giving a talk to a group of workers who have been coming into contact with snakes on a daily basis.

Sounds like a great opportunity. What sort of snakes are they finding? Vens or Pythons?

Must admit that would put the wind up me if I dropped into a pit to work and was confronted by a Tiger or the like. :O

Oh and I should have worded that better, I guess I meant harmless in place of python... but that doesn't change how quick I would levetate if faced with a Tiger snake. :D

bring up cool snake facts that kids will like. my daughter loves the fact that when they shed even they shed over their eyes and they dont have eye lids and cant blink then you could say to them imagine sleeping with your eyes open blank blanket could go on and on

just dumb it down for them like

"Snakes don't have noses like we do.* They have nostrils to breathe with but snakes smell with their tongues"
etc short and simple
Cathy

Karen took this video of the Snake Awareness Workshop yesterday...

Can you tell I was nervous?

[video=youtube;fHI1Cdo_V10]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHI1Cdo_V10[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back