Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah_m

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
For our wedding anniversary this year my sisters bought us a behind the scenes pass to the reptile house at Melbourne zoo, which we used today.
Didnt get as many pics as i would have liked because hubby kept forgetting that he was in charge of photo taking. Oh well, was fantastic experience anyway.

The first herp we "encountered" was a fijian crested iguana. Was jumpy at first but settled down pretty quick. She felt amazing, almost like a nail file or sand paper. Left a few scratches but was well worth it!
Also got to hold adult frilled neck lizard but someone forgot to get picture:x
IMG_1020.JPG

Next they were feeding the eyelash vipers.
IMG_1026.JPG

And we got to play with a baby Honduran milk snake, very cute.
IMG_1027.JPG

Another viper getting fed.
IMG_1028.JPG

Baby gila monsters born in March this year, couldnt handle them for obvious reasons.
IMG_1029.JPG

A Madagascan day gecko
IMG_1030.JPG

These were adorable! 2 month old dwarf freshwater crocs.
IMG_1034.JPG

Tiny little tortoise (cant remember species)
IMG_1035.JPG

A picture with Miranda the aldabran tortoise. She was very friendly, not like her grumpy boyfriend who charged us when we got into his pen.
Tortoise.JPG

Also behind the scenes we saw prickly knob tailed gecko, mertons water monitor, ridge tailed monitor, philipine sail fin lizards, tokay gecko with eggs and eastern diamond back rattlesnakes.
Next time we do this i am taking charge of camera!!!!!

And just some pics from reptile house.
IMG_1037.JPG

Some dark BHP's
Were told by our guide that they are getting some lighter coloured BHP's in soon (they are still in quaranteen) to be used in behind the scenes tours
IMG_1038.JPG

Rhinoserous viper
IMG_1047.JPG

Black lipped cobra
IMG_1049.JPG

Emerald tree boa
IMG_1052.JPG

Male tawney dragon
IMG_1054.JPG

A ball of brown tree snakes
IMG_1057.JPG

Coastal taipan
IMG_1059.JPG

Broard headed snake.
IMG_1060.JPG

Poison dart frogs
IMG_1064.JPG

Southern corroberee frogs
IMG_0977.JPG

WOW!!!! Thats amazing I never knew you could do that!!! I would love to do something like that with my hubby... May I ask about price?? Very very very lucky couple!!! Happy Anniversary!! How long??

3 years. It was $70 each and tour is 45 mins. Will take up to 6 people at a time and only on a Wednesday (it is feeding day). But today it was just us. Reptile encounters less popular than tiger and elephant ones.

Thats awesome, i did a behind the scenes bird tour at Adelaide Zoo and it was awesome too.

My son and Uncle did the Orangutang tour and they loved it too.

Most Zoos do a behind the scenes, they are well worth the money.

Mrs I

xxx

Thats awesome, i did a behind the scenes bird tour at Adelaide Zoo and it was awesome too.

My son and Uncle did the Orangutang tour and they loved it too.

Most Zoos do a behind the scenes, they are well worth the money.

Mrs I

xxx
Deffinately worth it!!!!! Was a fantastic gift. We will be doing it again when their new BHP's arrive.

It looks like you had a great time. I did behind the scenes of the Adelaide Zoo Herp house and that was a lot of fun too, but they didn't have those fantastic pit vipers. I did get to pet the tail of a Gila though ;)

WOW!!!!!!!! they all look AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are very lucky

Amazing! I never new that you could do that...Its now on my list of things to do and hopefully I will be doing it very soon!

Awesome pictures btw, ur so lucky and congrats on 3yrs :)

How the hell did you manage that!!!:shock: Arrrrgh!!!!!! I've written and bashed my head against the wall emailing John Birkett with regards to seeing if I could get something like that for a group organized!! I was sent a resounding NO off him. That was after the 6 months it took him to reply. Oh well, I'm very jealous! :D

neat. love the eyelash vipers, they've gotta be no. 1 on my wish list!

incredible pix, gonna have to look into ssomething like that,..!! :)

that tortoise looks like a stale macca's hamburger :lol:

great pics by the way..
I've been on the behind the scenes tour at taronga a few times.. very cool and heaps of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back