BHP and brumation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Various opinions around on breeding sizes/ages of different species of reptile as Im sure you are aware. Certainly no harm in trying at 2 1/2 so long as the female has enough size & weight and you follow good processes

Female MD is about 1.6kg/5ft. Has started to go off her food so I hope she doesn't lose too much weight/condition over Winter.
Male MD is about 250g/3ft. He is still smashing food down at the moment though. Guess it makes up for the weeks/months he was a fuss bum for so long.
So I'm hoping they'll be up to size when the time comes.

Well I set everything up last night and have already reduced the heat and am going to reduce the photoperiod by one hour per week until she is down to 7-8 hours. Needless to say she didn't look very impressed when the heat and lights were turned off at 7pm...and then I had someone telling me "you should never brumate a python unless you want to breed with it".

Well I set everything up last night and have already reduced the heat and am going to reduce the photoperiod by one hour per week until she is down to 7-8 hours. Needless to say she didn't look very impressed when the heat and lights were turned off at 7pm...and then I had someone telling me "you should never brumate a python unless you want to breed with it".
You see both sides of the argument but my decision was to brumate. Feel free to do some research and make up your own mind. I have chosen the way I do it and shared my experience. I think that it mimics wild behaviour best but there is a risk of illness. My theory on that is keep it dry to limit the risk and monitor, if there is signs of illness you have the choice to bring out of brumation.

You see both sides of the argument but my decision was to brumate. Feel free to do some research and make up your own mind. I have chosen the way I do it and shared my experience. I think that it mimics wild behaviour best but there is a risk of illness. My theory on that is keep it dry to limit the risk and monitor, if there is signs of illness you have the choice to bring out of brumation.

Thanks Andy and Paul, appreciate your advice and help.

Hi everyone

Ursula is 18 months old and this is her first winter with me. The weather here in Melbourne has really dropped - hitting 2-3C outside in the morning and only getting to around 14C during the day. Even though her enclosure is 30C at the cool end, 37C at the warm end and 40C on her basking rock, she has refused three feeds over the last week.

She is still fairly active, but today I let her out and whilst on the floor tried to tag me. This is the first time that has ever happened.

Can anyone provide advice on what I should do? I don't want to keep throwing out rats but my priority is keeping her healthy. She has digested and excreted her last meal. Do I lower the temperatures and decrease the photo period?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Morris

When was the last shed?

When they are coming up to a shed they normally stop feeding. Just thought it may have been a reason.
T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back