Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olive

Reaction score
with bhps should u just feed them mice or could u also feed them reptiles?Do people sell frozen reptiles?

Is this a serious question?? :? All reptles are protected. You feed them rodents.

A very strange question though. Why would anyone even consider feeding them or anything another reptile ?

Boa, blackhead pythons diet consists of mainly reptiles in the wild.
They can be hard to feed from hatchlings because they crave reptiles and reject rodents.
You can find reptiles for feeding - asian house geckoes are ideal, but garden skinks etc.. are easy enough to catch. Find a few bluetongue breeders because you always get gammin bluetongue young.
The cost and effort to feed reptiles is ridiculous in comparison to feeding them rodents, you only do it as a last resort. Once they are onto rodents they turn into absolute eating machines and power into it.
Cheers
Ad

I realise that Blackheads eat reptiles in the wild but it just seemed like a strange question to ask knowing that all reptiles are protected (except the Asian House gecko). I'm not sure if scenting with say a blue tongue works with BHP's ?

One of my hatchling BHPs first meal was a live pink rat, scenting would be a lst resort and feeding them reptiles is just not necessary if they are captive bred.

if there main diet is other reptiles does feeding them rodents have a downside?

Yes I wouldn't have thought it was necessary either, there are lots of reptiles around the world that eat reptiles and they all seem more than happy to accept rodents in captivity.
There is no downside that I can think of, I would imagine that gram for gram a good rodent is more nutritious than a reptile.

Yes, as adults. Fatty liver disease, but mainly caused by feeding fat rodents. Only feed them at most a rat weighing about 200grams, 15 is ideal, as rats get bigger they carry a lot of fat and can also get lots of tumours. So keep your rat size down and you shouldn't have any hassles.

I had a lot of hassels with my BHP hatchlings. The female was 4 months old before she had her first meal. I had to resort to assist feeding. Real stressful for me as she was so skinny and really objected to the treatment. But no troubles now, 3 years on, both her and the male are 2 metres and are loving the furry food.

I have been lucky so far, 3 feeding on pink rats and 1 to go. No assist feeding at all, just leave them in the enclosure overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back