big big problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Slither,
It's crap like this that really strikes a chord in me. I read about crap like this all the time over here in the states, and I wish you the best of luck.

If I were you, I would FIGHT this thing until the end. Like others have already posted, dogs by far, cause more problems than snakes do when kept as pets. (i.e. pit bulls turning on people, mauling kids, etc. here in the states, anyway)

The thing is, whenever (rarely) something does go wrong with say a large constrictor, the media goes nuts with it because it's interesting and DOESN'T happen very often.

So, as a result, people like us who truly LOVE these animals suffer because of ignorance and completely whacked people like your old lady over there.

Sounds to me like since she's the one with the fear of snakes, which is TOTALLY baseless (especially with what you listed as your collection), she needs to go get some counseling and leave you and yours alone.

Sorry for the rant, but people like this absolutely infuriate me! People REALLY need to learn to mind their own business, and not impose restrictions on others because of some stupid fear they have...

Please let us know how this all turns out.

//Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with them on monday, keep a level head and make sure you know your facts. Don't say anything else. Body corp can't touch you or your property. They own the land and the building exterior not the interior of the units.

as far as i remember if its in a fishtanks or similar it has nothing to do with body corporate at all and they have nothing to say if you are allowed or not to keep them.
laws might be different in other states though..

I have been told more aless the same as in that the only animals you can keep in a place that says no animals is reptiles

SLITHER THEIR IS NO LIMIT TO HOW MANY SNAKES YOU CAN OWN IN QUEENSLAND THAY are not pets insuch thay are not elapeds so she need education on her fears you own your unit it also could be discrimation it happen out at nerang 3 yrs ago and it was in the paper the news curent affairs show ch 9 about guy with so many snakes in his house and breeding rats as much as every one winged about him nothing the gold city counical could do the epa can back you up becayse it,s stated that their,s no limit and couical don,t have a limit mate you have to stand up and fight this one you can,t be passive you own your unit at the end of the day thay can @/c/ o'f spring it on monday thay want to get you not reddy and pre empit on you a full strike it,s a scare tatic i think thay know this all ready and just want you to freek out and move ring the acutent affair chan 9 chan 7 bullitin local news but when you talk to them let them know the diffrence between pythons and elapids to take the stink out off opinian this huge and efects all of us i would be contating news outlets in the morring and every one can email the media which you contacked with and surport you numbers win snakes are not domestic you have lic under queensland law you are on soild ground give me a message i send you my ph number if you want to talk surport as you will have a army with you keep your cool and let them go with emotion carm and cool win,s the day

after monday say thanks now i,m getting a small dog as my one animal, like a smalll bakking one then you can play all the games and you find theirs not much thay can do even with a dog remember the movie the CASTLE IT,S YOUR KINGDOM WHERE THE OUTSIDE WORLD STAYS AT THE FROUNT DOOR same with minor problems

slither you could always tell the body corp that you dont have any ,they cant come into your house as they have only power over common ground.Anyhow even if they send you a letter just ignore it as my mother inlaw has been doing for the last 8years.Remember a lot of body corp rules are just that rules and not the law.They rely a lot on bluf.

In both nsw and qld they are not considered pets, and as long as they are in an escape proof container they cannot do anything.

I recently told my real estate i had them, it was out of necessity as they kept wanting to have walk throughs as my place is for sale. I told them i need sufficient notice and they asked why. I told them I have snakes and there is nothing you can do about it as they are not pets, she agreed with me but i still put it to them as you really aren't going to sell a place that has snakes visible.

As per our phone conversation earlier today, just give me a ring if you need ANYTHING, I can help in anyway you want mate, just gotta ring me. Fight this and fight it hard, I'll be there helping all the way mate, gimme a call whenever.

I hope all goes well for you

i cant be of much help but ill say this

keep to the facts dont go off on tangents and keep calm dont get angry make sure what you say is correct and cannot be used against you

Slither,
I am a Body Corporate Manager, if you like you could send me a copy of the relevant by-laws, and I can help you blow holes in their argument. I am fairly confident from what you have written here, they do not have a leg to stand on

As per our phone conversation earlier today, just give me a ring if you need ANYTHING, I can help in anyway you want mate, just gotta ring me. Fight this and fight it hard, I'll be there helping all the way mate, gimme a call whenever.

take adam with you.... that would be enought to scare them! lol sorry adam! hehehe

Hey slither,

I am mostly writing here so I can 'subscribe' to this thread to watch what happens. Very interesting situation.

My law only extends to environmental law - and does not cover pets. But by the sounds of things, people have made some excellent suggestions.

1) Don't go in alone. The body corperate will have a legal advisor with them, so you need at least a witness or someone who can give you direction.

2) There are community law centres that are able to help if your financially unable, they won't provide you a lawyer, but they will provide free, and usually effective advice.

3) Take with you your license and explain no one can remove these snakes without consent from yourself and also your EPA (what ever it is called your way). Unless of course they're being mistreated.

4) Lawyers love statistics :) So take statistics on dog bites vs snake bites. Hehe... Put it all on paper and show the links. Use Australian statistics and make sure the snake bites are due to vens - and none of yours are vens. Show stats of enclosed and housed snakes in australia and how many have killed people or even attacked people (other than their owners!)

Mate, all the best of luck.. I will be waiting with baited anticipation....

Last edited:
I was told a few years ago that a reptile isn't classed as a pet, they are classed as a possession, just like your TV, DVD player etc is.
Best of luck with this, I hate old people with nothing better to do than winge about other peoples lives.

what a horrid situation. i remember when applying for a rental i had to write this 2 page letter explaining that my snakes were a risk free pet, they didnt smell, couldnt escape, didnt make noise all that, and still the landlord said no way. its just ignorance.
but i think a valid reason you could have in your argument is that because you have so many breeding pairs and future breeding pairs, you can argue that they are a source of income for you. they are not pets (of course they are to you but they wont understand that) they are a business. and of course your going to protect your assests by making sure none can get out and attack the old lady (if only though). good lcuk mate, it sounds like you have more of a leg to stand on than they do.

thank alot gous u all have been awesome basically all of your posts are valid money is not an issue i can get good legal advive as u all say im not ecactly breaking any laws as such so they can go blow them selves they will probably just try and intimidate me and chuck there weight and power around also as it is a comitte u would think that all the body corp would have to vote against me and so far its just one of them

id just sell up and move.
I seriously dont know why anyone would want to live in a body corperate situation anyway.
Just sell up and buy your own complete property, then you can do anything you like inside or out.

Well, regardless of what occurs in the meeting - what are they going to do about it?

Civil/Tenancy law is not my forte, I do however have experience with Criminal Law and it is well and truly outside the realms of legality for them to enter your premises let alone remove anything from it, and they will definately be aware of this...

I wouldn't concern yourself overly with the outcome (besides the frustration of people's ignorance) as has been pointed out they really have no legal standpoint to base this decision on and as such will have no way of proceeding further if you simply refuse...by all means, be calm, polite and base your argument on facts, if at the end they still come to such an absurd conclusion - tell them where to shove their decision...

its not just about that true blue its about the point that they are complete ass holes and they shouldnt be able to get away with this and force people out of there holmes u should be able to choose to move on ure account not be forced out

Yeah i know where your comming from, but thats typical of body corperates, theres always something that you cant do for what ever reason, thats why i would NEVER live in one.
Ive known a number of people over the years that have rented and owned properties governed by body corperates and all have had some sort of hassle at one time or another.
Trust me once you own your property completely without any boby corperate involved, you will wonder why you ever brought there in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back