Big black cats ( panther) Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we underestimate what cats are capable of.

I have friends in a neighboring town and they have to keep their male Bengal cat inside all the time or he kills chihuahua sized dogs and he's by no means a huge cat.

I saw a large black feline up a river red gum in western NSW once, so I shot it inorder to have a closer look . To my surprise it ended up being a Felis catus, damn. Thought I saw going to be famous.

I completely agree with you the diet of animals does play a big role on size, but to be taking on a full grown cow as some of these post have shown it would have to be one very large feral cat with a very large appetite. Also taking sheep wallabies and stripping them and with the photos of the large feral that had been shot by Kurt that measured an estimated 1.70m not including the head how are we to know that this was the animals maximum size.

I saw in the earlier footage in this thread that DNA proved the attacks on the cows were by dogs.

In the early 90's, camping with friends & family in the State forest near Tatong, our good friend, who is a very mature, level headed intelligent bush man, went to the creek we were camping by to fill the billy. He bent down to fill it, as he was filling it he looked across the creek & he swears a black panthers head & front pushed through the bracken, had a couple of laps of water, saw him, shyed & took off. He too came bolting back to camp all wide eyed & shocked, telling us what happened and what he saw. To this day, he swears it was too big to be a feral cat & believes he saw a panther.

Don't get me wrong, I would be very interested if you found one, there would definatly be a buck in it, Hey i'll be your PR manager!

When I was younger my mum got her mums cat when she passed away.
She told me it was a Maine coon, boy was that thing the most feral killing machine I've ever seen,
plus he was half the size between a small dog and a big (not massive) dog
crazy mother f.r D:
my neighbor once told me he used 2 bite of all the other cats ears on the street.
swear to god he was feral

I can't see why people think feral cats wouldn't be larger than the domesticated ones. Survival of the fittest once they're in the bush. Better food much more exercise (no lying around on the lounge 24/7). Breeding with big tough
survivors as well. I nicked the below thought it was comparable (hope that is okay Wrightypython)

I pulled this off the miniature thread. It's by Wrightpython:-

"Short History Lesson in Miniture Dexters
Due to constant line breeding (otherwise known as inbreeding) a small proportion of calves were small and had terrible growth rates, the Angus breeders Association as clever as they are (McAngus burger) decided that instead of euthanising which was the common practise at the time that they would try breeding two minis and see what happened. 3 years later a small (but not as small as they are now ) cow gave birth to an even smaller calf.
Wala a new breed is born but lessons not learnt. "

If smaller animals breed and produce smaller animals then why can't the same (but opposite) thing happen with cats?​

What I cant work out is.....why hasnt anyone come across a dead one....you know like you see dead kangaroos etc.......they cant all be so secretive that they manage to die in secretive places that nobody ever sees ?

alls good when intentions are good.
i dont know if in nature it happens as fast as when we manipulate it. Sure there are big dominant animals in nature but the chances of two strong healthy oversize animals meeting breeding and then there offspring doing same with others offspring would be a lot harder.
With that example i gave it was over 15 generations of line breeding which caused problems the chances it happening in nature are rare, but in saying that every now and the you do get a goliath. When you look at animals evolving they do it for a reason, normally to catch prey or to not get caught as prey. Cats dont really need to evolve and get bigger because they are already finely tuned predators and getting bigger wont necessarily mean more food it just means more chance at beating up other males or females for breeding rights or feeding rights. It will be a long time before the puss puss we know evolves into something larger.

What I cant work out is.....why hasnt anyone come across a dead one....you know like you see dead kangaroos etc.......they cant all be so secretive that they manage to die in secretive places that nobody ever sees ?

My mother in law took photo few years back of a big black animal in paddock tail wrapped around its body as it was in sitting position, also of fresh dead deer carcass 4 meters of ground in tree. Dont know if it was big cat but it sure got me into the hunting mood.

Last edited:
My mother in law took photo few years back of a big black animal in paddock tail wrapped around its body as it was in sitting position, also of fresh dead deer carcass 4 meters of ground in tree. Dont know if it was big cat but it sure got me into the hunting mood.

Do you think you could dig up that pic, scan and post? I know I'd be interested to see it, and I don't think I'd be the only one :D
I've basically been checking back each time just in case someone posts up piccies, I can't watch vids on this thing, they send my computer into spasms :(

well... i've just spent ages reading this thread and watching the videos. This is amazing.

A lion shot and killed in Broken hill.. a Hippo in the NT..

I believe ther eis something out there but un xure what.

SOmeone way back in the thread said about all the sitings being a black cat.. I know whilst watching the videos l came across one with Servals and how over time and generations they are now not only the spotty leopard type colouring but jet black..
I am fasinated with this subject and now l can't stop looking for more info on the subject

I wonder if all the people in this thread who think they aren't ferals believe all non herpers when you hear their stories of cobras and 20 foot snakes etc.

People completely underestimate the impact wild dogs have had on the Australian ecology.

http://www.australianalps.environment.gov.au/publications/general/pubs/factsheet-wild-dogs.pdf

I've spent quite a bit of time living in the Vic Alps. People up there have a healthy respect for what a wild dog pack can do.

Too true Wally. I saw a pack of wild dogs (not dingos) in the Cobourg Peninsular National Park bring down an adult Banteng cow. They were led by a big escaped pig dog. The Rangers and I tracked and shot them all.

In the 80s I was bailed up by a 12 pack of bullyxdingoes near Lake Torrens in FN SA. I shot and killed 3 and wounded 2 before they gave up on their dinner. And I only grabbed the rifle as a last minute thought. I was hunting fossils! These dogs too were pulling down cattle and big red roos. I got another 5 of the buggers over the next week and they really were hell beasts. The cockie was so happy he bought us a slab of beer, he reckoned they were dropping a cow a week for tucker and killing others just for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back