Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbellybite

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
:rolleyes: This is not a direct hit at any one person ..BUT I am sick of seeing the amount of 'IVE LOST MY SNAKE " threads on here of late ..it seems as though it is happening weekly ,with either new people putting up threads or RE OFFENDERS!!

SNAKES will get out if you give them any opportunity to get out ....finding them is only down to LUCK nothing more ..they dont know you ,they dont like you and feel obligated to hang around for your company ...
when you own a snake, its up to you to make sure you have a secure tub or enclosure and make sure the holes ,gaps etc are inescapable(if thats not a word, it should be ;) )

It is not up to the snake to make sure it stays put !!
SO PLEASE PLEASE be more alert and make sure you have a secure place for your snake ..if you think it might be able to get out of it ...it most likely can ...
check your locks and when putting away your snakes check a few times that you have locked your tub/enclosure ...it is not rocket science ..it is simply slackness on your behalf and no one elses fault but yours to own ...

I was sick of it a few weeks ago when I posted this thread -

Check your enclosures, please!

It makes me sad, and a bit angry. It seems sometimes that just not enough care is taken....
I would be devastated if anything happened to any of ours.

"they dont know you ,they dont like you and feel obligated to hang around for your company ..."
lol love it sorry but sounds funny as haha

it makes me wonder what people are using as enclosures for them to escape.
is there a pattern?

I have a glass tower that we keep out port mac in and not once has he escaped, even as a hatchy.

I will even go to the point of saying, IF YOU CAN"T HOUSE A SNAKE WITHOUT IT ESCAPING, DONT KEEP ANY!!!!!!!!!!

I have to totally agree. In my opinion people who allow their snakes to escape are potentially allowing hybrids to take a hold in the wild and threaten the purity of all of Australias snakes. It amazes me the amount of people who jump up and down at people cross breeding in captivity but then totally ignore the potential damage done by a snake that escapes in an area that it is not native. All it takes is one of these snakes to breed with a local snake and you have a whole lot of hybrids out there that will keep on breeding..As for the people who continually allow their snakes to escape ( I know there's one member here who has lost their coastal 5 times) they quite simply shouldn't be allowed the privelege of owning reptiles.

Ben

i know what you mean i've lost my ccp twice (1st time was my fault , 2nd my Dads) and after the 1st time i learnt my lesson and havn't lost it again due my own carlessness, the second time i was out and my dad filled up the water and left open the door, then he blamed me because i was out and couldnt fill up the water!!! (i had been out for 2 days allready at a mates place)

:rolleyes: This is not a direct hit at any one person ..BUT I am sick of seeing the amount of 'IVE LOST MY SNAKE " threads on here of late ..it seems as though it is happening weekly ,with either new people putting up threads or RE OFFENDERS!!

SNAKES will get out if you give them any opportunity to get out ....finding them is only down to LUCK nothing more ..they dont know you ,they dont like you and feel obligated to hang around for your company ...
when you own a snake, its up to you to make sure you have a secure tub or enclosure and make sure the holes ,gaps etc are inescapable(if thats not a word, it should be ;) )

It is not up to the snake to make sure it stays put !!
SO PLEASE PLEASE be more alert and make sure you have a secure place for your snake ..if you think it might be able to get out of it ...it most likely can ...
check your locks and when putting away your snakes check a few times that you have locked your tub/enclosure ...it is not rocket science ..it is simply slackness on your behalf and no one elses fault but yours to own ...
reoffenders are the worst because they havnt lernt anything the first time .

I think there are a lot of people on here who are new and it may be there first snake, first escape, etc. A lot of people may come onto this site for 'support' while getting used to owning a reptile, to have somewhere they can go to straight away for advice by a lot of people who have had years of experience.
I'm not telling you to get over it, but there is always a topic people are sick of hearing- some people are over the 'what snake is this', some people are over threads about dogs and cats, some people are over shedding threads, and some people are over hearing stuff about lost snakes. My advice is if there is something that doesn't interest you, look at a thread that does instead. To the best of my knowledge nobody on here is obliged to read these things. Just ignore it and look at something else. Make your own thread about something that you find interesting, but I can guarantee you that not everyone here is going to care about that topic either.
I made a thread about a friends dogs being taken away by the RSPCA, I know that a lot of people on here would have straight away rolled their eyes and thought 'here we go, another dog thread', and there was even some snide comments. But I do know that there is a lot of people who DO find it interesting and have a great amount of knowledge in that area. so to be truthful I'm not highly phased if not everyone looked at my thread.
Snakes escape, most of us have been there at some point because as we all know it's what snakes like to do best. And with over 21,000 members on this site I'm affraid there are plenty more snake escapes to come...

(P.S. none of that is meant to sound harsh, but I hope you get my point)

Have to agree and once i was all high and mighty about it too. then my big BHP girl got the glass out of the track and went for a walk in the garage. luckily my snakes are in a secure garage so that is as far as she could go. This was no fault of mine as it has never happened again and i still cannot work out how she did it the first time other that the right amount of pushing and lifting and pop. iInow cut the glass so it is nearly impossible to get out but be warned it can happen no matter how well you think you shut things. My snakes spend 24hrs a day looking for a weakness in their cage so spending a few seconds to check a door is shut ain't much.

I wonder how she got the glass out of the tank, smeejason... Did she head-butt it out? :D
he he pop

I lost a childrens python the other night, left the glass open a bit after cleaning, found it a day or so later, so,dont have to be new to have a snake escape.
Just a bit of blonde moment will do it.

I wonder how she got the glass out of the tank, smeejason... Did she head-butt it out? :D
he he pop
No just pushed it up by the looks as it was out bar the end with the glass door lock. It had popped out and down outside the cage which was at ground level and she just slid out. Watching them i can see how she did it as they slide along the glass all day pushing on it and i think she just applied the right amount of upward and outward pressure

Well, I was out on the verandah and came inside and the dog was acting funny, sort of jumpy.
Lo and behold, as we went into the loungeroom here is a woma on the dogs mat. Went out to it's cage the door was open about 3 inches..I blamed Garth, he blamed me...
Put the snake back, this is 5mm glass we are talking about. made sure the doors were shut.

After about an hour, here comes a woma slithering along the carpet into the loungeroom, mind you it has to cross the enclosed verandah...through the her p room (was a bedroom)...across the hallway into the loungeroom. It has obvioulsy pushed the door open..it now has a lock....

never lost my spotted.... and plan to keep it that way :| she is so small if i ever lost her i doubt i would find her :(

The amount of lost, dumped or displaced reptiles we have had in this season shows you that people are way to careless. At one point we where doing pick ups 4 to 7 times a week.
Mike

oh my god after reading this thread iwent to look at my snakes and one is gone!!

lol jk :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back