Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its good to know your always on the ball, never making any mistakes, EVER! And by saying that, if a snake does ever escape, i dont expect you to be comeing on here asking for any help.

If you do things properly with the right equipment there is no room for error.
I remove the snakes from their enclosures when feeding, and I have them under supervision until they are locked back up inthe enclosure. So as long as I continue to do that I wont have an escapee.

The last thing that needs to happen is people coming across these escaped pets and then causing a raucous over it. Bad press undoubtedly puts the hobby in jeopardy and will bring on scrutiny.

People really need to be more careful! When I feed my animals I ALWAYS do a double check that both the sliders are closed and that ALL doors are closed. It takes a few seconds to do, that’s all.

I guess it also comes down to the character of the individual that is keeping the animal. For example, I have a mate who never puts his car keys in the same place twice. He's ALWAYS looking for them. Should he be banned from keeping snakes, because he'd ALWAYS be forgetting to close the doors? Thank heavens, he never will have snakes, but you get my drift?
Nic

Thankfully I have never had a snake escape and hopefully never will. I make sure that all my enclosures are secured so that nothing can escape. however I will not judge because I know there can always be an exception. I have heard it said, "you havn't lived until you have had a snake escape".

what I am saying is that species evolve. All the species with us today were not created from nothing to suddenly become what they are today. (the beliefs of the creationists excepted) There is crossbreeding involved all the way I don't agree, evolution is just that evolution. You dont get evolution from crossing.and what we have today will not be what we have in another million years. Do you think there is no crossbreeding in the wild where there is overlapping range. Can you prove that there is! Many herpers will tell you that they have never seen evidence of it.
If by chance the escaped bredli did crossbreed with the MD, what danger is likely as a result. I would have thought natural selection would sort it out anyway.Dont just think, try some research so you know!

Not meaning to hijack but he needs to know. I have caught out of area pythons (escapees) in the wild and in one case breeding was taking place. This was a case of escaped prossie carpet hooking up with a local diamond. Problems are : Mites were transferred to the female and a male diamond, the male diamond was cut to ribbons because they don't battle so just copped a beating, Mites have been implicated as the vector for some very heavy diseases that could wipe out a population.
So apart from the biological hazzard, a species that has evolved to a particular area has a job to do in the environment so being crossbred could affect the ability of the species to maintain its foothold and continue with providing a vital link in the ecosystem. In fact NPWS or DECCW( whoever they call themselves now) have strict guidelines about re-releasing wild animals that have been in contact with captives, or been in captivity for to long while rehabilitating.
I would urge all people who think there is PROBABLY nothing wrong with captives getting into the wild to do some research on the subject.

Last edited:
IMO hybridisation is the least of the dangers of escaped captives, disease transfer and feral populations are far more serious.

I have had a few snakes get out of their enclosure or feeding bin, although not in situations where they would get out of the house. The lastest wasnt long ago when i found a spotted python on top of its enclsoure waiting for a feed :lol: The new lids on the staimaid tubs dont fit as well as the old design (maybe just a problem with the first batches) and the back came uncliped without me noticing.

IMO hybridisation is the least of the dangers of escaped captives, disease transfer and feral populations are far more serious.

I have had a few snakes get out of their enclosure or feeding bin, although not in situations where they would get out of the house. The lastest wasnt long ago when i found a spotted python on top of its enclsoure waiting for a feed :lol: The new lids on the staimaid tubs dont fit as well as the old design (maybe just a problem with the first batches) and the back came uncliped without me noticing.

I dont want to start a debate on what is better tubs or proper enclosures.
But I am just curious as the number of escapees from tubs compared to the number of escapees in other enclosures.

I think i might start a poll on that one to get a rough idea.

If you do things properly with the right equipment there is no room for error.

So if your handling a Taipan, and your using the right hook or whatever you wanna use, and you handle it the right way, it is impossible to get bitten? I don't think so, anything can happen. I'm not trying to change the subject but put forward the fact that things can go wrong even with correct procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back