Boa constrictor?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they would be here no doubt but id say $100,000 and 5 years in jail!!!

About $500 - 600, but its not worth it IMO. Not an expert on illegals but that is the price I heard a while back.

Ok thanks cause this guy breeds them says he has one for $450 and is worth $800

true, ive heard corns go for $100,red tails $100, chameleon $250 iguanas $800 burmese $400

due to the fears which the cane toad, cats, rabbits etc have done to the environment, and theres no money in it for the government, sugar was worth alot to the government so they brought cane toads in to eat the sugar beetles, what excuss does any exoctic have?

Because it's not worth risking our own wildlife and environment so some people can have a fancy pet, the government has already screwed it enough as it it, last thing it needs it more pressure. Corn Snakes have already been reported around Sydney and if it was legal to keep exotics there would be shyte loads more than there already are, and a hell of a lot bigger risk of exotics taking hold in the wild.

if you wanna no the price of a boa i got offered 1 for $250 it was a red tail
but i just laugh and said no thanks i like my own "australian species" to much and would not risk anything for them as if you get caught with illegal your own collection gets takin away you get fined possible jail time and never be allowed to own reptiles or amphibians again imo total not worth it

cheers
ben...

personally i think that down the track, be at 5,10,20 years that there will be more and more reports of exotics in capivity and in the wild, for eg look at drugs the black market is thriving selling drugs because they are illegal and then worth alot because of it, i just think exotics in australia will increase due to the fact that alot of people will get complacent and think "i wont get caught, what are the chances!" and go out buy some, realise the money to be made and breed them

I suppose realistically they are worth in the region of $250-400 depending on colouring and they are just fantastic. :D

Just wondering on peoples thoughts..... I live in Sydney and how are my snakes from northern Australia less exotic than something from Indonesia?

ive heard fiji iguana in excess of $2000 and ball pythons in the same group, theres some exotics which are just beautiful and if they were legal, i wouldn't hesitate to get some, BUT the risk of never keeping reptiles again, $100000 fine and 5 years jail is a little scary for me, im only 18 and i want plenty of herping years to come so thats why id never keep them

Well, for one there is a sea in between you and Indonisea, but you are correct, they are not indigenous to the Sydney reigon. Also, Australias wildlife and ecosystems are very different to that of other countries, and a lot of our reptiles have evolveded in close proximity to each other to fill different neiches.

Put it this way, you will NEVER get a fine even a fraction of $100,000 and you have more chance of beating Ian Thorpe in a swimming race than going to jail and knowing people who have been through it you are not banned from keeping reptiles at all let alone for life.
Olivehydra, funny enough I was talking to a well know herp a week or so ago about this very subject. We both agreed that there was obviously absolutely no difference in the scenario you describe. I know any number of people in Victoria who's entire collection is 'exotic' in so far as they all come from areas very far removed from home.
We are constantly told how if a cornsnake escapes it will reek havoc on the environment but if a reptile from South Australia escapes in Queensland it's fine because it's Australian.
Look it's no secret I am pro exotics and I have heard few if any REAL arguments against them but the anti brigade tend to get very aggressive when 'debating' this subject.

i think they should be made legal but some conditions have to be meet
1. have a reptile licence for 5 years with no escapees
2. animal has to be identified when dead so the parks and wildlife know it hasnt escaped
3. if the animal does escape, heavy fines are handed your way

exotics in australia is unstoppable, the government should realise this and take advantage of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back