Boelen python, any OS members have one?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannot be compared in beauty to a Chondro or even a good Palmerston
Only their rarity really makes them special to collectors
Lot chunkier than most morelia

I'm inclined to disagree, but then again most species of snake I find very beautiful. I love that rainbow sheen to them, and the contrast is wicked. Personally I think the comparison lacks mainly in the very different morphs of each species, they've all got something very attractive about them. Vibrance, personality... there's something I like in pretty much any reptile :D

There are no successful breeding populations of this species. The problem is not with breeding per se but with getting fertile eggs.

They occur through-out most of the central mountain ranges in New Guinea. They are fully protected in PNG but until recently West Papua had an annual quota of around 150 heads per year. Despite claims of successfuly captive breeding, I suspect all Boelens pythons leaving Indonesia are wild-caught.

Dan

I think Boelens rival a scrubbie or a GTP as best looking Morelia, hard to choose just one though.

There are no successful breeding populations of this species. The problem is not with breeding per se but with getting fertile eggs.

They occur through-out most of the central mountain ranges in New Guinea. They are fully protected in PNG but until recently West Papua had an annual quota of around 150 heads per year. Despite claims of successfuly captive breeding, I suspect all Boelens pythons leaving Indonesia are wild-caught.

Dan

there are photos of copulation, eggs, maternal brooding and hatchlings in a book i have called "Black Python Morelia boeleni" by Flagle and Stoops.

Hi Jack,

Not one of those things proves they were captive bred :) Don't get me wrong, it has been done (about five times I think, in the US and maybe once in Europe), but in Indonesia..... maybe, but personally I think... unlikely.

Dan

There will be an update of a book released shortly
Between original authors and a lovely Indonesian who is at the coal face with these
Also 2 pommies have successfully bred last 2 years

PNG still has a wild caught quota of 125 adults

unfortunately quite true dan... but i'd like to think the best of people.

a new edition: bugger, now i have to buy that as well...

you sure on the png quota? i thought they were untouchable there.

Last edited:
Every responsible reptile keeper wants them protected at home
But money talks
So PNG allowed 125 adults be collected last year and same will apply this year if they dont amend the law
Supposedly they only go to zoos etc
But most vanish as soon as they get off-shore

Ive seen this species in zoos ive visited o/s, if it wasn't for the larger scales it would just look like a carpet variant. Still an impressive species though.

Cannot be compared in beauty to a Chondro or even a good Palmerston
Only their rarity really makes them special to collectors
Lot chunkier than most morelia

nice Opinion,
Every responsible reptile keeper wants them protected at home
But money talks
So PNG allowed 125 adults be collected last year and same will apply this year if they dont amend the law
Supposedly they only go to zoos etc
But most vanish as soon as they get off-shore
no offence but got a source?

Its in my papers somewhere
Will dig them out
But those papers contain the official quotas for legal export of all species from PNG in 2010/11
Pretty scary reading with the numbers of CITES listed beasties on there

It was only dropped to 125 after pretty heavy pressure by conservationists

would love to see them make it here.
taronga has some zaglossus now, hopefully some other png stuff makes its way to public zoos rather than rich fauna collectors.

Hi Longqi,

PNG does not have a quota for Boelens, they don't (legally) export a single CITES listed species (see Export quotas for Indonesian quotas).

As you will see, Indonesia has a zero harvest quota for Boelens in 2011 and has had a zero harvest quota since 2001 - which was 112 heads!

Despite this, Indonesia exported 106 in 2007, 131 in 2008 and 159 in 2010 - all of these which were supposedly captive bred. For a species which the rest of the world can't breed, has high hatchling and adult mortality rates and is completely unknown ecologically well… that’s amazing.

In fact, Indonesians must be the most prolific breeders of this species ever. Despite the animals coming from 2000m+ New Guinea and being bred at sweltering sea level in Java and Bali.

Now that’s cynicism for ya...

Dan

i didnt think png allowed harvest of them. what an interesting site. thanks for that dan

Last edited:
Hi Longqi,

PNG does not have a quota for Boelens, they don't (legally) export a single CITES listed species (see Export quotas for Indonesian quotas).
PNG exported 125 legally last year and have same quota this year unless changed in last few months

As you will see, Indonesia has a zero harvest quota for Boelens in 2011 and has had a zero harvest quota since 2001 - which was 112 heads!

Despite this, Indonesia exported 106 in 2007, 131 in 2008 and 159 in 2010 - all of these which were supposedly captive bred. For a species which the rest of the world can't breed, has high hatchling and adult mortality rates and is completely unknown ecologically well… that’s amazing.

In fact, Indonesians must be the most prolific breeders of this species ever. Despite the animals coming from 2000m+ New Guinea and being bred at sweltering sea level in Java and Bali.
Totally agree that Indonesias figures are rubbish
Bali set up is a total joke and same with one near Sukabumi /Jakarta
But the fact that at least 2 Indonesian breeders at higher altitudes are successfully breeding is great news here
Only one of those breeders is licenced for export and the other has 35 hatchies right now
You probably know the facility
Has some interesting chondros

Now that’s cynicism for ya...

Dan

cynicism about Indonesia farming is still very very warranted

Hi Longqi,

Do you have any record of the exports from PNG? You are talking about Papua New Guinea, the eastern half of the island of New Guinea? Not having a go at all - just interested as it is news to me...

I'm not sure I know of any Indonesian facilities that are authentically breeding, hatching and raising Boeleni.....?

Dan

Yes Dan
talking about Papua New Guinea
I didnt believe it myself until someone sent me their official figures for last year 2010
It was definitely 125 adults collected and supplied to zoos and exhibits
Same figure was proposed for this year but conservationists were fighting it
Papers are here somewhere in a box
Will sort through the disaster area and find them for you

2 farms here are definitely right up there with Boelens
The Bali one and the ones in coastal Java were just selling wild caught from Irian Jaya
Bali closed the snake program recently if you meant the one near Gianyar
Only does turtles and lizards now

If you recall the Lake Kabutu chondros you will know who one of the successful breeders is
They are co-authoring the next book
Maybe if you speak Russian and visit Kalimantan you might find another one who is very very quiet about some interesting projects he has going

Just a little info I know on them, bushmaster in the US brings a few in which are sold in the states and Europe, all the captive bred animals are males, they can handle cold temps perfectly (below 50f) and the generally retail in the uk for £2000.

This website has a lot of info

BoelensPythons.com - Welcome

Hope some of that helped

Tim

A lot of that is being talked about now
although they can handle the cold like Diamonds do it seems temperature has a huge bearing on the sex of the hatchies [much like crocs??]
50F may be ok for short periods so long as there was residual warmth in the rocks etc
The mountains they come from certainly get cold at night but also get heavy rains and are very hot during the day
Lots of them have been located in caves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back