Bredli or Murray Darling as first python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayDarling101

Not so new Member
Reaction score

Hey everyone, im new to python keeping and am wondering whether to get a Murray darling or a Bredli as my first python??.
Here are a few questions that id appreciate if someone can answer:

Ive heard that bredli's are more aggressive than MD'S? is this true?

If I was to get more into this hobby of keeping pythons what would be the eaiser species to breed? Murray darlings or Bredli's?

Are bredli's aggressive?

Are murray darlings aggressive?

How often should I feed them if I was to get 1?

How long should I handle them for each day or week?

Any aswers would be great thanks everyone!

As for aggressiveness goes, that depends on the snake, how it is treated and how much food its getting. If you handle them often, they will learn to tolerate being held and wont be as aggressive as a snake who never gets held. A hungry snake is going to try to eat you fingers most likely so give the right size food. Or you could get a snake who just hates being touched at all. So no two snake is really MORE aggressive. But most people tend to go with a stimpsons, spotted or any form the chidlreni types. Mainly because they are small.

I wouldn't even think about breeding as too much can go wrong. If you need to ask how much to feed a snake, then just forget about breeding for at least 3 years till you get some knowledge. Hatch-lings are animals, not money.

As for food, feeding a hatchling every 4-5 days an appropriate size food item. So any food item no bigger than the thickest part of the snake is a good guide, or 20% of its body weight.

Its preferable to let the snake settle in for a week or so before you start handling. It will also help if your snake can see you from its click-clack just to help it get used to its surroundings with out removing it from the tank.

Were you getting a adult or hatchling?

Both species of snake are great, it really is upto you and your personal preferences for colour and patterns etc. I will say they do grow quite big, just to keep that in mind as part of your decision making process and if can't handle the size then I also suggest any of the anterasia species.

As for breeding I agree with what beans said and not worry about it for a few years. Enjoy the first snake you get. Learn everything you possibly can about the species and watch your own animal and it will tell you everything it needs. Ask as many questions you like too?

I totally agree with Beans about it depending on the snake as to if it is aggressive or not, they each have their own personalities......survival of the fittest in the wild.

Yes most people do opt for a smaller breed of snake as a beginner to the hobby, I think this is a good way to get used to feeding, cleaning, handling etc. I do urge you to do some serious research before buying a snake though, they can be fussy so you need to be prepared for that. Go to the Wiki section in the toolbar at the top of the page you may find some useful info there. I would also recommend you know who your local reptile vet is....just in case.

My first snakes were a children's and a spotted, great little snakes. It was only after that I decided to get involved with the bigger python species. I got a beautiful little bredli hatchling, I personally think they are a calm snake in general. I will admit I have had nothing to do with murry darlings so I can offer no insight there.

My suggestion is to go for a smaller breed to start, give it a couple of years and see how you go. Don't forget snakes can live for around 25 years so you need to be prepared to have a pet for life.

Good luck and enjoy the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back