buying a snake... should I be concerned?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is hilarious, the night markets .....
Is he displaying, selling or both? If that's a goer in Cairns, I may set up a stall at Rasty's markets on Saturdays, in the "greens" section of course.:lol:

He's 'educating' the public :)

Not selling at all... But I did ask what he's breeding and if he's selling.... He seems genuine enough and his snakes that he lets people snuggle for a donation are really nice animals.

Yeah the guy at the night markets is really nice, i was holding his snakes and it wasn't till I asked if he had any for sale then he showed me his little jungle hatchies.. He offered to tame one for me!

Yeah the guy at the night markets is really nice, i was holding his snakes and it wasn't till I asked if he had any for sale then he showed me his little jungle hatchies.. He offered to tame one for me!

He told me he was selling womas as well - a little more pricey, but quite a nice snake. I think you're right to steer clear of jungles to start with (though, of course my personal opinion holds no weight in the matter) - if you can't find anyone, PM me and I'll get you in contact with the guys I bought my spotted off.

I do have a spotted here who's a very good feeder, but she's very snappy too... just can't tolerate people - but she's such a good looking snake!

Hi I never noticed this before
I was Peter from Snuggle A Snake
Have relocated to Bali and life is great
Doing the same thing here and loving life

Never Say Never

Hi Peter! Wow what a coincidence! Bali must be great .. Cleo is doing really well by the way, I'm so happy i ended up getting the jungle :)

hi nikki
sorry i didnt see the post earlier if i had of seen it i would have offered to come have a look as i have a wide variety of snakes including a collection of antresia glad to see you have a new healthy pet

i got my adult female nearly 18 months ago. She had "burn" marks on one side of her body. I was told it was from crystals that was under the heat light and they burnt her skin. She was so gentle to handle and I just fell in love. I brought her and took her to a vet for a check up and it was all ok. I feel that she is a lot happy now and I feed her every week. At the moment she is hasnt eaten for 5 weeks and she did that last year as well cause its getting a lot colder and they dont feed as much.
Ask your self a question....what do you think might happen to that snake if you dont buy it? If your child had something wrong with it, would you do something to help them? Not every snake is perfect, just like you or I. I would get it but then again thats me.
I look at my snake with her "burn" marks and think thats what makes her different.
Check out my pics on my profile.

i think that the main concern here is whether or not its been caught in the wild and brought home then sold not so much the pale scale. taking into account that one of the men is a snake catcher and the rather low price offered and the lack of knowledge (even for a non snake keeper i know that snakes need to be fed more than once a month), if the snake was wildly caught and sold, there is potential for diseases to other herps etc.

no so much about the scale just a consideration to be made.
Go with what your guts are telling you to do.

Hi Nikki
Glad to hear shes doing fine
Look at my facebook to see why I came to Bali
wahyu hijau will find a few pics

Peter

im wondering how a guy your buying a snake off can offer to tame it for you? i no snakes will settle after some handling in most cases but as for "taming" im a little spun out. this whole thread makes me laugh. good luck and best to talk to some of the more experienced people here.

bucky

I tamed hatchy jungles and adult jungles in a matter of weeks. Just takes patience. Some animals are lost causes tho.
You will find that with proper handling that animals tame down pretty quickly. (some less then others depending on the individual snake)

I wont class myself as an "experienced person" but I can tell you that most snakes will calm down, and a lot depends on how you handle them.
I have had, on that note, snakes that were hell bent on eating me, and I mean eat, as in swallow my fingers... never could tame a snake that saw me as food lol.

Hi I never noticed this before
I was Peter from Snuggle A Snake
Have relocated to Bali and life is great
Doing the same thing here and loving life

Never Say Never

Hey Peter seen you a couple of times in Rusty's and looked for you last time I went.My daughters loved your snakes and as a result we now have snakes in our family so cheers cobber enjoy bali

Of course you can tame most snakes very easily
Handle them with bags over your hands to start with
Rub the bag under your arms and leave it in the enclosure
Only use the bags to handle it for one to two weeks
It will be climbing all over you by then

bucky

I tamed hatchy jungles and adult jungles in a matter of weeks. Just takes patience. Some animals are lost causes tho.
You will find that with proper handling that animals tame down pretty quickly. (some less then others depending on the individual snake)

I wont class myself as an "experienced person" but I can tell you that most snakes will calm down, and a lot depends on how you handle them.
I have had, on that note, snakes that were hell bent on eating me, and I mean eat, as in swallow my fingers... never could tame a snake that saw me as food lol.

A little off topic, but do you know of any good books, articles, etc on 'taming' snakes?
I recently got a yearling Jungle Python. She can be a bit snappy at times. I've built up a bit of confidence with handling her,
but would like information on correct ways of handling her to get her to calm down a little.

A little off topic, but do you know of any good books, articles, etc on 'taming' snakes?
I recently got a yearling Jungle Python. She can be a bit snappy at times. I've built up a bit of confidence with handling her,
but would like information on correct ways of handling her to get her to calm down a little.

have you left it in its encloser for 1-2 weeks that will help

no books. learn your snake and handle it with as less stress as possible. for jumpy snakes, try not to grab but just let them sit on your hand like a branch. often in the wild, if something grabs them from the back thats certain death. They really hate being stroked on the spine, their not dogs. Get your hands under it's belly and if it's too small and snappy use a small hook. If it helps confidence use a leather golf glove on one hand.
eventually you will know what works for your snake and what doesn't.

no books. learn your snake and handle it with as less stress as possible. for jumpy snakes, try not to grab but just let them sit on your hand like a branch. often in the wild, if something grabs them from the back thats certain death. They really hate being stroked on the spine, their not dogs. Get your hands under it's belly and if it's too small and snappy use a small hook. If it helps confidence use a leather golf glove on one hand.
eventually you will know what works for your snake and what doesn't.

Excatly what I did with my spotted and JCP... I used gloves for the first two weeks and now I don't. I do however only hook them out and never grab them out of the enclosures. Hook = Handling

The vast majority of my snakes are handled very regularly
They are used in reptile displays and handed round at least three days every week
[never handled for 4 days after feeding or immediately prior to shedding]
They have all been trained by the method I mentioned before
In 17 years I have never had anyone bitten
Except one of my staff who forgot one important point
Every snake is lifted from its enclosure using a bag
We do not even own hooks here
They very quickly realise that the bag coming into the enclosure means they will be safe

No waterrat
When scenting the bags we get hot and sweaty first
No deoderant that morning
I have probably tamed 500 snakes
Only four so far that did not respond to this method
Two of those I am playing with now but they are wild caught adult retics and are not happy chappies
Before anyone gets their knickers in a knot I bought them from a snake skin seller
They would be handbags and sate now if I hadnt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back