buying a snake... should I be concerned?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think that the main concern here is whether or not its been caught in the wild and brought home then sold not so much the pale scale. taking into account that one of the men is a snake catcher and the rather low price offered and the lack of knowledge (even for a non snake keeper i know that snakes need to be fed more than once a month), if the snake was wildly caught and sold, there is potential for diseases to other herps etc.

no so much about the scale just a consideration to be made.
Go with what your guts are telling you to do.

What I think is really important to note is that although the animal might be in 'dire need' or neglected and if you purchase it you have the potential to 'save' it........if you buy from people you have a 'bad' feeling about......you only perpetuate their questionable practices........
dont the people who do the right thing deserve to have people buy snakes from them ?

I guess I think about the puppy farmers out there that present their puppies in squalor....then people feel sorry for them and buy the puppies to save them...only for the same low life puppy farmers to breed all over again next year because it has been so 'profitable' for them...same thing with snakes...just take some more out of the wild...flog them off cheap and make a quick buck......makes me sick....sorry to get on my high horse about it....but it does press my buttons!!

Elizabeth

Just take the bites as they come. It'll gradually get less frequent as your snakes become more comfortable being handled. My two jungles love a good pat :). I can pat them on the head and everything and they don't even flinch anymore.

I agree..I got jungles as my first snakes and I LOOOOVE them....you just have to be patient and perservere and they get it !!

Shop is located right in Kuta
Breeding facility elsewhere

search wahyu hijau on facebook and there are a few photos there

Hi Nikki, Are you Doris's daughter Nikki? If so, PM me on facebook and I'll give you the name and number of the absolute best breeder I know in Cairns. We got our spotted a few months ago from him and she is brilliant - handles and feeds well. I'm sure he kept back a few male spotted's as well - worth a try if he's still got them. They'd be blonde spotted with a defined dorsal stripe like our girl... Kind regards, Buzzy

I would go with the gut feeling the gut feelin always turns out correct, I agree " don't buy the first snake you see" there are really good breeders on this site, its where I got my 1st snake and is where i'm getting my 2nd (both spotted pythons) good luck with it all, when you do get your snake enjoy and wait for the addiction/ passion to hit you and it will. I love my girl and so do my sons 5 of them have actually held her and now 1 wants 1 of his own.

im wondering how a guy your buying a snake off can offer to tame it for you? i no snakes will settle after some handling in most cases but as for "taming" im a little spun out. this whole thread makes me laugh. good luck and best to talk to some of the more experienced people here.

By "taming" i meant getting used to handling. The snakes hadn't been handled yet and he offered to take it out and get it used to handling before I took it home.. And it worked.

Education is most important thing in this business
[please note I used the word Business deliberately]
From Backyard breeders to Full time breeders and Wildlife Demonstrators this is a Business
A major part of any business is customer service

How many people have bought a snake and after being tagged a few times left the poor animal sitting in a box in the lounge because they are too scared to go near it???

In 95% of those case if those same owners had used this simple method the snake would now be part of the family instead of a prisoner

We have to remember that Aussie snakes are very new to the pet trade
Corn snakes had a reputation as biters
Selective breeding for gentler traits removed that problem in about 7 generations
Up until now I know of zero Aussie breeders deliberately trying to breed more placid reptiles

Anyone can very simply try this method
Anyone can quickly become adept at it

So dont laugh too hard until you try it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back