Buying Jags

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cement

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Lets see if we can bust another myth. Or not.

The whole Guarantee thing re these snakes amuses me.

THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES WITH THESE ANIMALS.

Seller " I guarantee, up until the point of sale, that this snake has never shown any sign of neurological problem"
Buyer " its been doing it since I picked it up from the airport"
Seller " you knew of the possibility of this"

I hope everyone interested in these animals realizes the irony of bringing out the truth about the neuro issue.

It is great for the sellers of these retarded animals. EVERY single Jag, 100% of them ever bred and that ever will be bred, CARRIES THE GENETIC NEUROLOGICAL PROBLEM.

This now gives the breeders of these animals the green light to sell ANY ANIMAL IN ANY CONDITION. How will I know when the problem with the animal I just had delivered, was first noticed?

How about then with this day and age with the way technology is, lets face it your not buying these animals for a hundred bucks yet.
We start to introduce video ads.
Just so you can see for how ever long you want, what the snake is doing.
Maybe a seperate site could be set up or this one or all upgraded to accomadate this facility.

can i just ask what type of neruo condition they have?

anyone buying a JAG knows the risk and if they still buy then 2 damn bad i say do away with any Guarantee i say.
also this appears to be a little in the troll side as it was discussed in the previous JAG thread.
(not meant to be offensive just the way i see it, it looks like your after an argument)

No, i know the risks i want to know WHAT neurological conditions you believe Jags have: eg, Epilepsy, Motor Control, Reflexs, Generalised Muscle Weaking?

No, i know the risks i want to know WHAT neurological conditions you believe Jags have: eg, Epilepsy, Motor Control, Reflexs, Generalised Muscle Weaking?

It isnt one, Ive heard of heaps of different cases, although I cant say I have ever witnessed on first hand

Ben

this was posted on another forum i found, hope it helps in this dilema
Some jaguar carpet python exhibit symptoms associated with neurological problems – lack of motor control, abnormal head movements, generalized muscle weakness, poor righting reflexes, etc. These symptoms have occurred, and been observed, from the initial breeding of the morph. To what extend do jaguar carpet pythons have this issue is yet to be determined – and many have varied opinions on the subject. There are people who feel that all jaguars show symptoms, even ever so slight, while others state they have not seen any signs of neurological issues even after breeding dozens of jaguars. Jaguars that show extreme neurological problems have been euthanized shortly after birth. Others, who have shown neuro issues to a lesser extent, have grown into adulthood – and some have also been successfully bred. This condition can be evident upon birth or show up later in life. It can be extremely subtle, or it can be painfully evident. Jaguar carpet pythons that don’t show symptoms can produce offspring that do, as jaguar carpet pythons that do show symptoms can produce offspring that do not. Many think the neurological issues shown in jaguar carpet pythons is similar to that of the head wobble shown in spider ball pythons. Mutations are genetic anomalies, and it should not come as a surprise that many do have different defects. The cause is unknown.

heres the link: Neurological Disorders in Carpet Pythons - Reptile Forums

this was posted on another forum i found, hope it helps in this dilema
Some jaguar carpet python exhibit symptoms associated with neurological problems – lack of motor control, abnormal head movements, generalized muscle weakness, poor righting reflexes, etc. These symptoms have occurred, and been observed, from the initial breeding of the morph. To what extend do jaguar carpet pythons have this issue is yet to be determined – and many have varied opinions on the subject. There are people who feel that all jaguars show symptoms, even ever so slight, while others state they have not seen any signs of neurological issues even after breeding dozens of jaguars. Jaguars that show extreme neurological problems have been euthanized shortly after birth. Others, who have shown neuro issues to a lesser extent, have grown into adulthood – and some have also been successfully bred. This condition can be evident upon birth or show up later in life. It can be extremely subtle, or it can be painfully evident. Jaguar carpet pythons that don’t show symptoms can produce offspring that do, as jaguar carpet pythons that do show symptoms can produce offspring that do not. Many think the neurological issues shown in jaguar carpet pythons is similar to that of the head wobble shown in spider ball pythons. Mutations are genetic anomalies, and it should not come as a surprise that many do have different defects. The cause is unknown.

heres the link: Neurological Disorders in Carpet Pythons - Reptile Forums

And your point is?

Well maybe people wont now..............................
Spending big bucks for animals that might need to be put down in a year or 2 is not a smart.
I personally did'nt realise the risks when purchasing one.

Hey guys anyone finding themselves with 2yo RPM/Jags they have decided they don't want PM me I will be looking for some in a couple of months maybe sooner. :)

cheers
Scott

hey mungus
the situation is blown out of proportion. mine is almost 3yo,no problems,a joy to own. the only people that bag them is the people that don't own them. the ones with serious neuro issues is very minimal,but people just have to be aware of it and that serious issues "could" happen.they will get cheaper in a few years people will find out for themselves once they finally own one. i know of one only person who euthanaised their jag because of serious neuro issues, but i know of about 15 others that are fine. the slight risk is there , but it is minimal, and there is similar risks with other species of carpets .
cheers
simon

I agree, Simon. It's being blown out of proportion by some. I understand that people are passionate about their views on Jags but surely first hand observations from people that own them do carry alot of weight? If all Jag's were as bad as some are making out, the USA market demand would never have eventuated and they wouldn't be as big in the States as they are today..

Quote slimebo " the ones with serious neuro issue is very minimal",

Yes good call, but the sample size in Aus is very minimal too.

Quote Den " but surely first hand observations from people that own them do carry a lot of weight?"

Yeah, you would hope so.

I started this thread because i think the following quote required some attention. Its what the owners and breeders of these animals are saying about them that keeps raising questions. I haven't said that the problem is larger then it is, I said that 100% of the animals carries the gene.

Quote from another thread - "What I meant was more along the lines that breeders such as myself and the ones mentioned along with "name" and "name" that have made some valid points in this thread, are placing guarantees on their animals that they have not showed any signs of neuro symptons from the time of birth to months later when the hatching has fully developed and fed on it's own for x amount of months before being offered for sale."

I said that 100% of the animals carries the gene.

Correct and because of this I can't see how anybody could ever hope to firstly breed it out or or secondly offer any kind of guarantee as I have heard mentioned by others. They are beautiful though and I am on the fence as to how I feel about them, but those ideas are just silly..

hey mungus
the situation is blown out of proportion. mine is almost 3yo,no problems,a joy to own. the only people that bag them is the people that don't own them. the ones with serious neuro issues is very minimal,but people just have to be aware of it and that serious issues "could" happen.they will get cheaper in a few years people will find out for themselves once they finally own one. i know of one only person who euthanaised their jag because of serious neuro issues, but i know of about 15 others that are fine. the slight risk is there , but it is minimal, and there is similar risks with other species of carpets .
cheers
simon

Thanks Simon,
I suppose there is a risk in whatever we buy when it comes to animals.
I like them and have 1 lined up, so time will tell hey...........

thats right mate.it is a bit of a lucky dip but the odds are good.
cheers
simon

This kind of sugar coating is misleading.
Just because yours hasnt YET doesnt really count as experience and something to advise on.
If yours was spinning uncontrollably, would you still advise the same and state that just you are unlucky, but dont let that discourage buying them, the odds are good - just not for me?
100% have the condition, it is a lucky dip alright, your aren't in the clear yet sorry.

hey mungus
cheers
simon

thank you for this, i don't own a JAG but if the neuro condition is almost undetectable like is said in my post quoting from another forum then why panic. obviously if 100% carry the gene then they shouldn't used to attempt to breed it out. I definatley think i would be easier if they were Epileptics (hehehe) because that can be idiopathic, genetic, or brought on by a febrile fever (yep all animals get them) and can easily be treated by stuffing the meds in the food given via the mouth. I've seen this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back