C A Rough Scale Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elapid@

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Rough scale attacked by cat.
Yesterday a call came to pick up a snake from the hospital, well i couldn't be at a better place:lol: i called the guy to meet me out the front , turns out he had caught the snake from his home and bought it to work. I noticed blood on the bag so i new that it had been injured, i asked him was it harmed in any way, he said" the cat was playing with it inside the garage. It has a couple of superficial wounds but other then that its OK, i will watch it over the next couple of days and if all good then it will be released, ,Same story could not find a vet that would see to it.
The guy nearly fell over when i told him what it was and what its bite is capable of. He thought it was just some type of harmless tree snake snake.
here's a pic (not real good just a phone pic waiting till camera charges)
this is the 4th rough scale i have caught in the last month,
amongst 20 other species of reptiles and 8 of them injured due to cat and dog attack, so you could imagine how many others that would be unseen too. In my opinion cats have got to go.
out of the 8 injured 4 had to be euthanized .
CA rough scale 0901616.3.09.jpg

I agree cats shouldnt be aloud to roam the streets... we had 25 tadpoles in our pond outside woke up in the morning cat was sitting there fishing em all up and they were getting to the point were they were turning into frogs... im sure this would be the same with many reptiles...
Youre great helping all these animals keep it up:)

What sorta snake is a rough scaled, i understand its venemous, but what can the bite do?

What sorta snake is a rough scaled, i understand its venemous, but what can the bite do?
Elapid (front fanged)
Tropidechis carinatus

Strongly coagulant, moderatley neurotoxic, haemolytic, and cytotoxic .....so its going to do some serious damage if not seen to

sorry to all those cat lovers but the cat deserves a bite full of nasty tissue destroying venom ( is that a bit much)

sure cats hav ebeen introduced buty you cant say "they have to go" cause there are many cat lovers out there

you can say they have to go one of my favorite feral hunts is cat huntingi know for every feral cat i kill a at least 10 native animals get to live, pet cats are just as bad imo and if this counrty wants to see an increase in native wild life a breeding ban should be put out no more cats in pet shops no more private breeders. no cats have to get euthanised just let em live thier lives and then die. pity there are so many jerks out there who would just ignore the law and breed em anyway.

you can say they have to go one of my favorite feral hunts is cat huntingi know for every feral cat i kill a at least 10 native animals get to live, pet cats are just as bad imo and if this counrty wants to see an increase in native wild life a breeding ban should be put out no more cats in pet shops no more private breeders. no cats have to get euthanised just let em live thier lives and then die. pity there are so many jerks out there who would just ignore the law and breed em anyway.

Im going to get flamed for this, but oh well.

There is no need to kill every feral cat! I have tamed many stray/feral cats, and many have turned out to be lovely, indoor pets. That 'gung-ho' kill every cat attitude is just not the answer! Yes, some feral cats need to be euthanised, as they will never be able to be pets, but many just need a little TLC.
And I hate to break it to you, but I think most of Australia would prefer pet cats opposed to an increase in wild life, although thats not me personally.

:lol:

You clearly haven't been a member for long :p

beat me to it.

there simply must be something done. dogs are not allowed to roam the streets at night, so why should cats. a feral dog would be caught and held, why cant the same laws apply to roaming cats. if people want to keep cats that badly they should take a little bit of responsibility for them and keep them indoors or build them an outdoor run. too many lazy people out there just dont see the real story, makes me so angry. :cry:

Im going to get flamed for this, but oh well.

There is no need to kill every feral cat! I have tamed many stray/feral cats, and many have turned out to be lovely, indoor pets. That 'gung-ho' kill every cat attitude is just not the answer! Yes, some feral cats need to be euthanised, as they will never be able to be pets, but many just need a little TLC.
And I hate to break it to you, but I think most of Australia would prefer pet cats opposed to an increase in wild life, although thats not me personally.

What a load of BS, there is absolutely no way that feral cats could be domesticated on a large scale and their is no point when they can be shot or baited cheaply. There is already an excess of captive bred cats that are often free, its just stupid taking ferals from the wild which are more likely to be carring disease. Its also good fun shooting cats and as they are made out of meat kittens are an ideal food for larger reptiles and dogs.

Lots of ppl hate cats regardless of them killing wildlife, they also kill ppl and cause brain damage in infants by speading toxoplasmosis. There are plenty of ppl who hate without even knowing what damage they do, considering they are a declared pest they are one of the few animals that i would encourage anyone to kill for any reason they like.

PETA also has a campaign about sea kittens, i think it has something to do with shark fishing :lol:

Last edited:
Very sad :(..and here come the flamers...but let's not let this thread deteriorate into a slinging match and 'cat/cat owner, dog/dog owner bashing' and then get locked or deleted. I think everything has been said many times on this subject, and in many other threads, its getting old now. ;)

Very sad :(..and here come the flamers...but let's not let this thread deteriorate into a slinging match and 'cat/cat owner, dog/dog owner bashing' and then get locked or deleted. I think everything has been said many times on this subject, and in many other threads, its getting old now. ;)

Just trying to educate the uneducated.

It wasn't directed at you personally :), just a general statement about many of the threads that seem to be cropping up lately on APS ;)

Gahh. I am always suprised to hear of poeples ignorance, especially the old "it's just a snake", If we got tht blokes cat,a nd let the roughscale 'play with it' im sure hed'e have somehting different to say.
I am very relieved to hear now however that the snake is in good care,a nd making a comeback.
Thanks for sharing htis story:)
Ben

You may as well ban motor cars. I live in rural Australia, I see a lot more road kill than I do any other kind. That includes cows and horses. Yeah, feral domesticated animals are dangerous pests, but more by-laws won't change things until you can catch the people who act irresponsibly.
and I doubt there are many people who are prepared to pay the extra taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back