Cane toad virus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
. Another major issue native fish have is there is no longer the flooding events - this has a major impact on their breeding cycle.

Ha! - your joking right!
Perhaps your google search didnt mention all the immense flooding that took place during 2007-08 over
much of QLD. for a start.
Also no serious flooding is needed for most species, a small storm bringing even light rain is more than
enough to trigger massive spawning for many native fish species, this is from personnel observations.

I have a bunch of wild caught native fish, and every single time a storm in on its way before even a lick of
rain hits the ground my fish begin to breed..!

Cris is a good read for you
http://www.murrayriver.com.au/members-club/fishing/carp.htm

Australis - When I was growing up I kept native fish in a farm dam - they NEVER bred - In the end I think someone stole them and others might have introduced redfin (Killing ALL possibility of the native fish breeding). What I was referring to is the damming of water - stopping it flooding large areas of the Murray Darling - basin. Reference was to Yellow Belly and sliver perch. Other fish species may breed before, during or after a light rain.

Also to my knowledge there are no carp in the rivers of Northern Queensland.

Does anyone have links to any scientific papers or other good info on cane toad control or the impact they have?

Is their a accurate list somewhere of all species that have died as a result of eating canetoads?

Miss_Croft, Carp are easily as bad as canetoads, dont see any point in debating about it. The points you raise suggest you should learn more about carp, they are very destructive critters. Carp, redfin, tilapia, Gambusia and trout are all very bad fish in Australia.

They may not be responsible for any entire species becoming extinct(maybe?), but there sure have played a major role in the localised extinctions of many species. What you are saying would be correct in many cases though.
you hit the nail on the head chris "localised extinction" is the common phrase used in most of the impact studies carried out.
the spotted quol is pretty much gone from kakadoo.
I live in the thick of cane toad country now over the last two wet seasons they have taken over darwin, there has been a massive decline in the native reptiles as far as what i was used to encountering . i do get the odd surprise though with a large yellow spot or goulds(i have trouble telling them appart) wandering through my yard the other day he/she must have learnt not to touch them. 2 years ago monitors and frillys were very common along the darwin city beach front area now you would be lucky to see one. release the virus i say .

i know V.Panoptes are al ready extinct due to toads. redbelly blacks will be wiped out by them too eventually among other species.

V.panoptes are extinct?

Cane Toads aren't nearly as bad as some other feral animals in Australia. Whilst I am definitely not a big fan of them, and some APS members can vouch for this, they don't seem to have a sustained detrimental effect on wild populations. They definitely make a horrible first impression, but nearly all species recuperate with 20-30 years of the toads arrival. Look at FNQ - not a single frog eating species is extinct. You can still find Fresh Water Crocodiles, Death Adders, Rough Scaled Snakes, varius Varanus species etc. Here in South East Queensland, you will find the same thing - plenty of Red Bellies around even though their numbers were considerably lower 10-15 years ago. Many species fall dramatically in numbers when Cane Toads arrive, but they nearly always bounce back soon after.

I am not saying that they should be left here - I am all for eradicating them. However, things like feral cats/dogs/foxes that actively hunt our native animals should be higher on the priority list.

V.panoptes are extinct?

Cane Toads aren't nearly as bad as some other feral animals in Australia. Whilst I am definitely not a big fan of them, and some APS members can vouch for this, they don't seem to have a sustained detrimental effect on wild populations. They definitely make a horrible first impression, but nearly all species recuperate with 20-30 years of the toads arrival. Look at FNQ - not a single frog eating species is extinct. You can still find Fresh Water Crocodiles, Death Adders, Rough Scaled Snakes, varius Varanus species etc. Here in South East Queensland, you will find the same thing - plenty of Red Bellies around even though their numbers were considerably lower 10-15 years ago. Many species fall dramatically in numbers when Cane Toads arrive, but they nearly always bounce back soon after.

I am not saying that they should be left here - I am all for eradicating them. However, things like feral cats/dogs/foxes that actively hunt our native animals should be higher on the priority list.

Good point, you don't often here of the native species changing their habits to counter the toad invasion. As for the feral cats, dogs and foxes being on top priority list.. They are on mine. I actively "shoot" them.. I'd shoot toads too but i havn't seen any yet.

I thought the Varanus panoptes, Yellow-spotted Monitor extinction comment was odd also
i assume the mistake is that they are possibly marked as at risk etc.
I'm pretty sure ive seen at least 20-30 of them this year deep in cane toad country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back