Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieCarr

Reaction score
So I got my first snake a few weeks ago, A cape York Python, not sure how old... not very old either way, feeding pinkies every 7 days. Just wanted some info on it. Correct me if I am wrong, but being a Cape York Carpet Python makes him a coastal python? What is the Scientific name for a Cape York? Whats the max length and general length of one generally?

Any other tips or any info on Cape York's would be fantastic ^_^ thanks.

I have added some photos and a picture of his cage. (Tips/advice on the cage? Obviously a UV light, the other is a fan-forced heat light)

photo (12).jpgphoto (2).jpgphoto (11).jpg

Thanks & Namaste, LaLa

Problems hows? If you mean overheating.. its not an issue.. I already regret buying it actually haha It takes forever to get warm and doesn't even heat the cage :p

It's drops the humidity of the enclosure and doesn't provide a suitable thermal gradient from experience and other folks experiences, both not good things in general and even worse in the NT

Oh okay. I shall remove it then haha.
Any suggestions for a new heat source then? As it is rather cold at night here at the moment..

Heat may or heat cord would be my suggestions.

Just for reference, I'm in the NT too and I have no night heating for my lot and haven't since I've had them. Bear in mind that while whoever may report a temp, it will not be the temp inside your house and inside the enclosure. Measure your hot/cold temps early in the morning to see how low it gets though to get a good idea of what actually is happening.

Bear in mind, just because the above works for me, doesn't mean it will automatically work for you, there's just general consensus on what doesn't work. Keep checking and work out what does work for you

I have a Cape York Jungle python. It was sold as a Cape York Jungle and not a Cape York carpet from a large reputable breeder. It is recorded as a Morelia spilota cheynei and this was what it came to me as. Her color is more pronounced and pattern more 'jungle like' than the pics of yours you have posted.

From my observations of her and another that I know of they are very much 'Jungle' in their behaviour, manner and pattern. The only exception is that ours (and the one other we know) have not been snappy other than a couple of tags and headbutts when first coming home.

They are very wary and observant (much more so than my other Carpets) and very much on the ball. Not backward in coming forward and a little flighty at times......just not snappy. These are behaviours I have observed from other Jungles - for all intents and purposes she is a Jungle without the snappiness.

I have read the threads about them being/not being Jungles. Have also studied photos of Julattens that look identical in colour and pattern and have difficulty sometimes determining the difference (...unless of course the locale is known).

In reality I am not sure of the evolutionary journey that has led to her being.....but ours will always be a Jungle to us purely based on her manner and looks.

Probably have not been much help in advising you one way or the other......:rolleyes:

Thanks for the help. I will just keep an eye on the temp and all that and see how it goes haha.

Dunno if I will get a heat mat/cord as my enclosure is wood, not glass

Ok...After accidently posting in the wrong thread I have got it right this time....:)

Just managed to get a couple of pics off my phone that were taken last week of my Cape York Jungle - Note the different pattern to that of the OP pics, and also the more defined colors (Please ignore the Intergrade that she is cavorting with!).

Her colours in the flesh are the same as in the pics...it has not highlighted them or over represented them, she is very 'black' and 'white'. In my opinion her pattern is very Jungle like as opposed to Coastal like. When I look at pics of Julatten's I see little difference (but appreciate she is unlikely to be a true Julatten). When I look at Wenlock's they are a lot 'browner' toned in both the light and dark areas.

She was one of the $99 specials at SOFAR - the adult snake in the enclosure on the stand was also very black/white from memory - I actually thought it may have been a Julatten.

Jungle or Coastal?

EDIT: I wrote this in light of reading the thread posted above by SniperCap......so best to read it as well for full context.

Attachments

• nooshi2.jpg
    nooshi2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 183
  • nooshi1.jpg
    nooshi1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Ok...After accidently posting in the wrong thread I have got it right this time....:)

Just managed to get a couple of pics off my phone that were taken last week of my Cape York Jungle - Note the different pattern to that of the OP pics, and also the more defined colors (Please ignore the Intergrade that she is cavorting with!).

Her colours in the flesh are the same as in the pics...it has not highlighted them or over represented them, she is very 'black' and 'white'. In my opinion her pattern is very Jungle like as opposed to Coastal like. When I look at pics of Julatten's I see little difference (but appreciate she is unlikely to be a true Julatten). When I look at Wenlock's they are a lot 'browner' toned in both the light and dark areas.

She was one of the $99 specials at SOFAR - the adult snake in the enclosure on the stand was also very black/white from memory - I actually thought it may have been a Julatten.

Jungle or Coastal?

EDIT: I wrote this in light of reading the thread posted above by SniperCap......so best to read it as well for full context.

Cheap and nice , I love that combination.

The OP's python looks like a Cape York Coastal Carpet Python and the others all look like Cape York Jungle Pythons. The Jungles being alot smaller then the Coastals and patterns are different.

This is just my opinion and would love to be corrected if im wrong. Im looking at getting either a Cape York Jungle or a Julatten Jungle, seems the only way to be sure what they are is buying from a breeder that can show you the adults.

Rick

Cheap and nice , I love that combination.

There is a bit of a story to her purchase....but in short my wife fell in love with them, and despite my warnings of what Jungles can be like, she accepted full responsibility for it and was prepared to be its 'master' should it be the devil from hell. I only stipulated 2 requirements:

1. That she pick a very pretty example from the few dozen they had.

2. That it be a female.

My thinking being that should it be the 'devil from hell' and we find after 12 months that it was not going to be as placid as we liked, particularly with our children, we would have more chance of finding it a good home with a breeder if female and relatively nicely patterned. We figured she was a good gamble at $99 - Particularly given that I had firmly decided that we were not getting any Jungles in the foreseeable future.

We would not part with her now for the world. She is very unique in comparison to our other snakes,and the kids handle her almost daily without incident thus far.

She's really nice Bart. I like the black & white, love strong contrast in pythons. I had a pair of cape yorks, ill try to find some pics. They were recorded as jungles but I prefered to call them "cape York carpets". Looked a mix of the two in my opinion. Mine were good handlers.

Photo0111.jpgPhoto0120.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Norm....The colourings in the shot on your arm are quite Darwin'ish - Lovely snake.

My girl is a great handler also thankfully...She is a little flighty if you touch her high on the neck, but then I have known a few women like that and never held it against them! :lol:

I do like her contrast and had in the back of my mind that she will likely change as she matures - Then my mind goes back to the adult that they had in the enclosure at SOFAR that had retained its colours and quietly sit with my fingers crossed.

this is my cape york carpet cirus

cirus 021 (400x267).jpgcirus 004.jpg

he is an excellent handler, never bitten not even a hiss.

Attachments

• cirus 019.jpg
    cirus 019.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 78
Someone say Cape Yorks!
Here are some of mine. Parents were wild caught from Archer River, Cape York. These are the high red form and
have been breeding these guys for the last 11 years and find that the most distictive difference between Darwins and the Red form Cape Yorks is that Cape York hatchies are born pure white with dark patterning stright from the egg, comparered to Darwin hatchies that have a red hue from the egg and have this for quite some time
Pics are of some adults and some of this years hatchies. There colours will stay an impressive cream and chestnut for about 3 years.
Thanks, Dan

Attachments

• Picture 542.jpg
    Picture 542.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture 527.jpg
    Picture 527.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 77
  • Picture 091.jpg
    Picture 091.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Picture 1164.jpg