Carbon Tax what are your thoughts?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moreliavridis

Reaction score
Hey guys
Just wondering what your opinions are on the carbon tax?
Im an electrician and im also an accredited solar installer, for my industry i think it will boost it, but as an average joe i think its a joke.

They will slap the tax on but in the end US (the consumer) will end up being the ones who end up paying more in the long run.
Power companies will jack up the price of power to cover the tax, fuel companies will jack up the cost of fuel.

So where is the real benefit??

Sure the government will make money to put into research for renewable energy, But the carbon emission and cost to make solar panels and wind turbines etc etc is actually higher than what the renewable energy source will ever produce in its life time.

Higher electricity prices will make people consider installing solar power, Which will help ease the stress for the consumer on power bills for a while, but the cost of electricity will still go up and unfortunately for NSW the government also controls the tariffs for solar aswell. (and any one in NSW who knows about solar and the tariffs knows the price has gone down)

So where do we stand??

Im interrested to hear other peoples opinions on the issue because keeping herps means heating which means $$$$ with the carbon tax.

This isn't a debate or who's side your on! just a discussion topic

Cheers
jason

Jason, I totally agree with you man. Ive been trying to see the benefit of carbon tax and weighing it agaisnt the cons and it just doesnt make sense. The problem with our pollies is they say whatever they want to get into power, and then forget it all when the time comes. Julia, denied setting carbon tax in her pre election campaign and she has just turned 180 degrees. I just feel for the australian people because they honestly dont give a damn about us..

I totally agree with you exotic doc. At the end of the day they don't really care about us.
Don't get me wrong im all for trying to reduce green house gas emission but a tax defiantly isn't the way to go!

I'm just wondering where they expect your average person who doesn't have some high paying job etc to get the money for these inevitable increases in prices from. With the cost of living these days lotta people are only just getting by as it is, add on higher electricity and fuel price and some might not even be able to get by... Time to plant a money tree i guess.

Im sure if you had a money tree they would tax that too!

They reckon the tax will create more jobs but i cant see how its going to!

I agree khan the cost of living is getting rediculas the only option to help that is to increase minimum wages. Which wont happen anytime soon.

I totally agree with you exotic doc. At the end of the day they don't really care about us.
Don't get me wrong im all for trying to reduce green house gas emission but a tax defiantly isn't the way to go!
So what is the way to go? Voodoo? Pray? Healing rocks? Your costs will only go up if you don't modify your behaviour which is what this is supposed to do.

So what is the way to go? Voodoo? Pray? Healing rocks? Your costs will only go up if you don't modify your behaviour which is what this is supposed to do.

Like you said modifying your behaviour is the way to go. Most house holds have already started modifying the way they live. Some people to more extent than others.

Or the government could simply cut spending on the government sector. All the little lurks n perks pollies get if they cut just a few of them and used that money.
That money alone could be used instead of the tax.

It wont just be fuel and electricity prices that will go up. It will be the price of everything like food for example.

I'm sick of being bent over by the Australian government.

Its gunna be just like another big GST, everything will go up again, people in the future will look back on this as the biggest con of the century. The economy relies on burning fossil fuels, governments rely on the taxes from fossil fuels, while ever we worship the almighty dollar and the economy governments have a vested interest in not promoting non polluting alternatives...........unless they can tax them!!.

This is just crap. I got a power bill today for 920 bucks same time last year was 615 bucks and my daily use was 45.5 kw and last year 44.5 kw so my bill has gone up 1/3 in a year with out the carbon tax. How are the people who cant pay there bills now going to pay in the future?????????.
We are the lucky country held to ransom with a gov who has to drop to its knees before the greens to get anything done. Lets go back to the polls................

It's utter crap. Just another tax hike to move us commoners that much closer to a return to the old serf and vassal system. They can put whatever BS name they want on it but that is all it is. I've cut back on ALL of my high use electrical devices (AC, dishwasher, clothes dryer, etc) and my bill has still gone up by 35 - 40% on average since 2009. Sorry, this has nothing at all to do with "saving the Earth". As end users, we will pay through the nose for it and businesses will still continue to turn record profits year after year!

Great, now I'm furious!

the whole point is that it does cost more, and therefore people will use less to avoid the cost, and therefore there will be less emissions and more use of renewables.

for 99.8% of our species time on this planet we didn't depend on burning coal to fuel our pampered lives.
deal with it

People are already making changes to use less, what do you suggest next, burning canddles? Its crap its just another massive tax for the government coffers, I for one have trimmed as much as I can and my bill continues to go up, i dont have a clothes dryer and dont have aircon I am constantly annoying the kids for shorter showers and turning lights off, changed over to the crappy new lights and still my bill is double what it was a couple of years ago. I've no doubt that we have damaged the planet, but remember we have only been industrialised for a couple of hundred years, a couple of large volcanic explosions causes more damage than we have.

A carbon tax has only three purposes.

1. Raise revenue for government coffers.

2. Raise revenue to subsidise agriculture and transport, which will be affected by any legislation the government introduces on carbon.

3. Help everyone feel like we are doing something about climate change.

It will be the consumer, and only the consumer who will feel the direct impact of a carbon tax. Food needs to be produced or we will starve, so lumping this proposed tax on already struggling farmers without subsidies is simply not an option.

Similarly, the transport industry who distribute this food will also require the same help, or once again we will not have food to eat. Which poses the question, what has this proposed tax achieved? Nothing. Two of the largest contributors to carbon emissions - food production and transport, will continue to carry on with business as usual with large handouts from the government whilst the consumer is once again left to carry the burden.

The term ' climate change ' is an interesting one. It's something the planet has been doing on it's own for billions of years.

Last edited:
It's our way of paying for our abuse of the environment - we pay for it this way because if we don't, our children and generations to come will be paying for it in far worse ways!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back