Carbon Tax what are your thoughts?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me solar comes out in front on all three bottom lines. There is more to decisions than just dollars. Although solar stacked up financially the environmental and social benefits are there to.

Unfortunately I use about 10K worth of power a year now at 20c/kwh, so with my system I break about even, but by 2006 I expect power will be closer to 60 cents /kwh than to todays 20cents so it should still stack up financially then

Perhaps its just a way for be to sooth my guilt using so much power warming 500 or so snakes and freezing a few cubic meters of food. I dont know if you would call it carbon nuetral but it is better than just burning coal.

I agree that solar is defiantly better than coal fired power stations (if i didn't i wouldn't make money haha) And will also help you save money.
I just don't agree with the tax and all the cuts to stuff like solar power.
If they used the money from the tax to make green energy more cheaper and readily available it may be a good idea but they rant they are just making it worse.

With us, in the winter we use up to 55kwh, as we have 13 fish tanks and 16 reptile tanks, our last winter bill was $1400, our last bill was $900 and I'm expecting this one to be a bit less, but I'm not happy with all of these price rises, as we use to have a comfortable life now every week is a struggle, I'm expecting down the track to have to give up the 2 hobbies we luv just too pay the mortgage, and the power bills.

Have you considerred improving the efficencies of your energy usage in fish and reptiles?
I use about 80,000 kwh each year to heat 500 snakes. I know keeper who use that for 30 snakes.

I agree that solar is defiantly better than coal fired power stations (if i didn't i wouldn't make money haha) And will also help you save money.
I just don't agree with the tax and all the cuts to stuff like solar power.
If they used the money from the tax to make green energy more cheaper and readily available it may be a good idea but they rant they are just making it worse.
Thats just it- the tax should make coal fired power dearer so people will be encouraged towards solar and you will continue to make money.

Last edited by a moderator:
We changed our filters to low consumption filters and the heaters as well, in the last few days we have been looking into solar and by the sounds of it we should get in quick before the govt winds down the rebates. We spent a bit of money upgrading everything, maybe solar is the way to go now.

We changed our filters to low consumption filters and the heaters as well, in the last few days we have been looking into solar and by the sounds of it we should get in quick before the govt winds down the rebates. We spent a bit of money upgrading everything, maybe solar is the way to go now.
I used to breed fish . I had about 30 x 4 foot tanks. When I built an insulated coolroom to house them the heating costs fell dramatically.

wokka...It's not gonna encourage didley squat. Companies won't care. They'll just up the price. It's cheaper than evolving. Besides, the government has 0 to no say in how they play their life. The world is not run by governments, but by the military machine and coorporations.

As an individual in the community (no me specifically - an average or below average wage earning australian) you will:

A) not be able to afford to install solar.
and B) not be able to afford electricity
and C) not be able to afford fuel
and D) not be able to buy AUSTRALIAN MADE OWNED AND GROWN groceries
and E) pay the Mortage.
I'm sure your earning a killing off what ever job you have, plus the sales off the offspring of your snakes (500 +) or what ever you have. I mean, if you've got enough to sponser, you've got enough to do your part. You as an individual in such a position that I see you as having through general observation, have no right to comment and make suggestions for the poorer in the community. If the plan is to roll back solar rebates, then people will definately not be able to afford squat.

It's you people, YOU who has SOLAR that are also pushing up the price of electricity.

wokka...It's not gonna encourage didley squat. Companies won't care. They'll just up the price. It's cheaper than evolving. Besides, the government has 0 to no say in how they play their life. The world is not run by governments, but by the military machine and coorporations.

As an individual in the community (no me specifically - an average or below average wage earning australian) you will:

A) not be able to afford to install solar.
and B) not be able to afford electricity
and C) not be able to afford fuel
and D) not be able to buy AUSTRALIAN MADE OWNED AND GROWN groceries
and E) pay the Mortage.
I'm sure your earning a killing off what ever job you have, plus the sales off the offspring of your snakes (500 +) or what ever you have. I mean, if you've got enough to sponser, you've got enough to do your part. You as an individual in such a position that I see you as having through general observation, have no right to comment and make suggestions for the poorer in the community. If the plan is to roll back solar rebates, then people will definately not be able to afford squat.

It's you people, YOU who has SOLAR that are also pushing up the price of electricity.

People with solar are also keeping there power stations carbon foot prints down because the power companies are the ones buying the REC or STC's as they are now called.

wokka said:
Thats just it- the tax should make coal fired power dearer so people will be encouraged towards solar and you will continue to make money.

I think it's a bit of a shame that we're being pushed and taxed to the hilt about it though. How about the government keep the tax it's making from us for the excuse of global warming (aka the man-made carbon impact) .... But hang on.... wasn't it CFC's (Chlorofluorocarbon) in spray cans once that was blowing holes in the ozone??? :lol: ... we fixed that....which in turn must have really taken the wind out of the fanatic doomsayers sails.... until they finally targeted the very fabric of the modern world which is the combustion engine! Now they've got us!! :p

Instead of the government penalizing everyone on a frantic whim, why don't they actually fix the problem? Why are we allowed to burn crappy dirty coal and as consumers still get charged a premium dollar for it?

It's like our water (off topic I know)... we get a desal plant (nearly :lol:).. 24 billion dollars worth...to supply huge volumes of water, yet our water bills are set to double in 5 years??!! :lol:

Seriously, aren't we just the biggest bunch of suckers! :lol: Can I buy shares in the doomsday market?? It must be getting some killer returns! :lol:

Isn't the point that as the price of power increases more people will adopt solar or cut down
on their usage so the big emitters will see a decrease in demand. If one of the big producers
invest in better R+D and puts in place measures to mass produce cleaner and cheaper energy,
they will corner the market ensuring their competitors follow suit.
That's how I think it's supposed to work.

Hooglabah what do you have in your house?? like air con, electric hot and electric cook tops?[/QUOTE]

It my parents house and they use a tone of electricity, heaps and unbelieveable amounts, that said they are major computer freaks, so 7 computers one for each memeber of the house.

Then the massive meter and a half tv, plus all the lights aircon, ducted heating, my snakes, my tv ect ect, our power bill is $900 a quarter and mum still loves the idea of the carbon tax!!!

That said my parents earn an amount that means they can afford this.

I on the other hand earn 35k a year...just. Also have a baby on the way and am desperately trying to get my own place with the other half.

So please tell me how is that carbon tax beneficial?? In a way Im likely to give a damn about? ( directed at people who say oh just use less) I'm one of the people who are going to be hurt the worst by it, everything I enjoy doing I wont be able to do, my life will become work and sleep that's it, at Least for the next few years.

Sure with junior on the way that was going to happen anyway, but at least I would have been able to buy my child nice things.

your child doesnt need nice things, as a previous poster stated before, we've been around for 2 million years, and we didnt need nice things then, live without now...

that by the way was sarcasm(though a poster did say something along those lines)

Funny thing is the people who say live without nice things often already have nice things.

The aim of companies is to make money. Electricity companies charge at least enough to cover their costs of production.As coal runs out the price will rise. With the main variable cost of production being coal, the price of coal fired generated electricity must go up. You might call it doomsday but I call it logic.
The decision is wether to have short term pain for long term gain, or to live for today and don't bother about tomorrow.
I am in the process of building a new rat shed. I can build a 200m2 uninsulated shed for about $20,000. To insulate that shed will cost around $10,000. Some would say go for the cheaper option and save 10K. Others would say spend the extra and save on airconditioning costs for years to come. What is the right decision?

mattmc, how does having solar power generation push up the price of electricity?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's utter crap. Just another tax hike to move us commoners that much closer to a return to the old serf and vassal system. They can put whatever BS name they want on it but that is all it is. I've cut back on ALL of my high use electrical devices (AC, dishwasher, clothes dryer, etc) and my bill has still gone up by 35 - 40% on average since 2009. Sorry, this has nothing at all to do with "saving the Earth". As end users, we will pay through the nose for it and businesses will still continue to turn record profits year after year!

Great, now I'm furious!

EXACTLY AARON
politicians are all the same
you never know their true agenda untill they get elected ???
then look out here comes the big ideas ?? that incudes more taxes ?
and guess who pays for it .

mattmc, how does having solar power generation push up the price of electricity?

hmmmmmm let me think...

well. your excess generation is sold back to the grid...so to recoup losses they hike the price a bit. they are already losing profit from people having solar, so there is another price hike. a company cant be seen as having less of a profit than last year..so the more solar on individual houses..the more it costs for those that cant just outright go and get solar.

its not as easy as saying...in 5/10/15 years im going to break even and start to make a profit on my solar generation. clearly it doesnt matter for you. your going to spend $30,000 on a rat shed. RAT SHED. money to you is clearly expendable. how about you go out and buy people some solar panels that cant afford it. if the government was dead serious, they would chuck solar panels on top of every new house and every other house on the land. you make me sick.

he makes you sick? that's a bit full on don't you think? just because he hasn't logically thought it through shouldn't have you reacting that way. chill pill dude.

but you're right that they're greedy bastards in regards to profit, but then, they have to be, infrastructure (that they've let run to ruin in the last 30 years) is expensive to upkeep and replace.
the expense is worth it when you consider JUST how fast they get power back on after a devastating event.
where they're going wrong is they think we're an endless pit for them to gouge (this is all business and government included)
as cost of living is starting to out strip income (in total) things are going to start going horribly wrong for a lot of people in the not too distant future.
the BIG problem, especially with government (on all levels of it) is the pure and unadulterated waste through mismanagement and incompetence of the public sector, streamlining things would save us tax payers billions, but they don't care, they can just raise more taxes. (at least until people start civil disobedience and anarchy)

I used to breed fish . I had about 30 x 4 foot tanks. When I built an insulated coolroom to house them the heating costs fell dramatically.

Coolroom panelling has made an enormous difference for those people I know who've installed it.

Cleo, As far as filtration, you'd have to do the math for your setup, but air driven filtration is almost always more energy efficient. Lighting could be on timers to keep it to a minimum, I doubt you have metal halides, so fluros should be fairly efficient, but maybe make sure your starters are all still working to get the best use out of your tubes.

What did you used to breed wokka?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back