Carbon Tax what are your thoughts?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmmmmm let me think...

well. your excess generation is sold back to the grid...so to recoup losses they hike the price a bit. they are already losing profit from people having solar, so there is another price hike. a company cant be seen as having less of a profit than last year..so the more solar on individual houses..the more it costs for those that cant just outright go and get solar.

its not as easy as saying...in 5/10/15 years im going to break even and start to make a profit on my solar generation. clearly it doesnt matter for you. your going to spend $30,000 on a rat shed. RAT SHED. money to you is clearly expendable. how about you go out and buy people some solar panels that cant afford it. if the government was dead serious, they would chuck solar panels on top of every new house and every other house on the land. you make me sick.

The rat shed is his business. So i can understand him spending that much on the shed.

They are not actually loosing profits because they are buying back the reck points from the solar which reduces their carbon footprint. So that will in the later offset the amount of tax they will have to pay. So realistically they are making more money from it.
Its not the energy companies who is paying for the tariff its the government who is paying for the excess power with the budget they allowed for it. Its already reached the cut off so they have dropped it to almost lower than what you pay for your power and are also changing the tariff to a net tariff and installing smart meters. So you may be producing power but as soon as it hits 2pm you will be paying double for your power until around 10pm. They are basically giving it to you in one hand and taking it with the other!!

Last edited:
He may also have made huge sacrifices to afford that. Not to mention hard work.
Hell im an average joe I install solar power and i don't even have my own system on my house because I have spent money else where.

Heres a question for you......If our solar panels excess electricity is put back into the grid, therefore the main power stations need to produce less electricity. So why are we paying more when they are supplying less?

Carbon tax.....what a crock, whats next .....an oxygen tax?

Last edited:
He may also have made huge sacrifices to afford that. Not to mention hard work.
Hell im an average joe I install solar power and i don't even have my own system on my house because I have spent money else where.

Fair enough, he may have.. But i agree with him, it's all good for people with the money to go solar/insulate to sit there and go "Oh, just spend X amount of money on solar/insulating and you'll save on electricity just like me!" while most people are struggling to afford to live let alone fork out X amount on something like that. So it's a bit condescending of these people with more money to throw around, we don't have the option of solar or insulation, as much as we'd love it to be a viable option, our ONLY choice is to straight up use the power and get hit for it.

It has just occurred to me .....with the states selling off the power stations to private hands, there will be no more income. So the government creates a carbon tax to make up for the loss of income:) That means the government is basically lying to us all. Isn't that enough to have them turfed?

Heres a question for you......If our solar panels excess electricity is put back into the grid, therefore the main power stations need to produce less electricity. So why are we paying more when they are supplying less?

Carbon tax.....what a crock, whats next .....an oxygen tax?

They basically keep the power station running and supply the power to other stations who need it. come 6pm the power consumption goes through the roof and your solar system stops working at about 5pm.

It has just occurred to me .....with the states selling off the power stations to private hands, there will be no more income. So the government creates a carbon tax to make up for the loss of income:) That means the government is basically lying to us all. Isn't that enough to have them turfed?

You basically hit the nail on the head there mate. Energy Australia has also changed its name.

I agree the carbon Tax is a rip off there is so many other alternatives but the government wont make as much money.

Power can't be mixed like 2 liquids, 1 power station can take over a section of the grid from another using switching, they don't just supply another that needs it. Excess power can't just be pushed back into the grid. Electricity flows like water flowing down a pipe, you would need to force a higher pressure back against the flow.

... the government wont make as much money.

not singling you out other than for convenience jason as there have been lots of posts/threads which have voiced similar sentiments of late. which the only reason i am bothering to re-enter this thread.

i put this to you all, who do you think the government spends its money on?

it goes to (amongst other things) the defence force, education, health, and the number one federal expenditure (more than 40% of all monies raised by tax)- all those social welfare payments made by centrelink

not singling you out other than for convenience jason as there have been lots of posts/threads which have voiced similar sentiments of late. which the only reason i am bothering to re-enter this thread.

i put this to you all, who do you think the government spends its money on?

it goes to (amongst other things) the defence force, education, health, and the number one federal expenditure (more than 40% of all monies raised by tax)- all those social welfare payments made by centrelink
you want to be VERY careful about the way you point to centrelink the way you do, I'm not sure of your intent, but, Centrelink has a very diverse system, covering students, the aged, the disabled, war veterans, single parents and support for carers, training for a whole range of peoples (among a whole slew of other things) even land acquisition for native people, included in their budget is the actual running of the system it's self, including scary amounts of bureaucratic mismanagement of funding (both inside and outside).

now, can you produce papers stating this percentage you say centrelink takes from the total Australian budget?
40% does not look like an accurate figure

Last edited by a moderator:
We will go like England......if you dont pay your bill just once you operate your heating on a prepaid card....no money on the prepaid card...no heater on.....and in an English winter thats really really cold.........

Thats what they will bring in here for sure.....

I hope the Australian people backlash with a landslide in the other direction at the next election......as the only way pollies will learn not to lie is if they get a great big fat kick in the bum

it may be his business. the point is. hes got money to throw away on a project like that. average joe doesnt.
it is just a question of priorities. Some people borrow money for a car and some people borrow money for solar panels. To me solar is a worthwhile spend. Some people may even chose to drink it instead!

ahh but both the main parties are just as complicit in their lies, so what good will it do?
personally, I'd love to put the greens in, for just one term, to scare the living poo out of them both, I mean, look what happend when pauline hanson game close to some semblance of power, they both went crazy and combined forces to destroy her in any way possible.

I think both of them losing, just once, would shake Australian politics more than ever before, and just possibly, make them rethink their current strategy of lies and deceit and dodgeyness, but then again, who am I kidding? they're all rotten to the core.

ahh but both the main parties are just as complicit in their lies, so what good will it do?
personally, I'd love to put the greens in, for just one term, to scare the living poo out of them both, I mean, look what happend when pauline hanson game close to some semblance of power, they both went crazy and combined forces to destroy her in any way possible.

I think both of them losing, just once, would shake Australian politics more than ever before, and just possibly, make them rethink their current strategy of lies and deceit and dodgeyness, but then again, who am I kidding? they're all rotten to the core.

greens in once would be greens in never again. sounds good? no. its not worth the one term. even though i agree with a lot of their policies....the bad far outweigh and good that would come. if they were to get any more power than what PM Bob Brown has at the moment....approval would go hiroshima real hard real fast

We are currently waiting to get our Solar power installed. We currently pay our power bill weekly at $40 per week. We had a guy come out and show us how much power we were using etc and what size we would need to neutralize our power bill (2.2kw). We have put it onto an interest free payment scheme and the weekly repayment is $36, and I think it will be paid off in a little over 3yrs. To put solar on our home is cheaper than paying our power bill. I am married with 2 kids, and earn $43k per year. Solar is affordable you just need to look into it.

The carbon tax is a joke though and should be treated as such.

recharge, indeed centrelink administers a whole host of payments including those you describe, and they are social welfare payments, which is why i carefully described them as such.
the most recent federal budget has its own website, with all breakdowns... will that suffice for the "papers" you wish me to provide?

as to my "intent", i was illustrating that the government gives back what it takes, and people should stop their whingeing about tax in a country which has one of the lowest rates of tax in the western world

YO JACK!!!!!! why even compare australia to another country? if you want to go pay more tax, go pay more tax some where else. Get out.

its not as easy as saying...in 5/10/15 years im going to break even and start to make a profit on my solar generation. clearly it doesnt matter for you. your going to spend $30,000 on a rat shed. RAT SHED. money to you is clearly expendable. how about you go out and buy people some solar panels that cant afford it. if the government was dead serious, they would chuck solar panels on top of every new house and every other house on the land. you make me sick.
The government did try offerring subsidised Green Loans at reduced prices for home owners to improve their energy efficency but the scheme finished. I am not sure why, but think it is a good method of encouraging the implementation of new technology. It encourages longterm investment rather than the usual instant satisfaction spend , which is soon gone with little long term benefit

Carbon tax is a cop out so they don't actually have to start using any form of clean cheap/free energy. The major oil companies and corporations are still going to be raking in all the profit and the average person is going to suffer. As for us on student income and the likes who are well below the poverty line, well god knows what is going to happen to us. Rents are going up, power and gas has jumped a ridiculous amount and food is not much better. A lot of the problems poor people face would be solved if governments started getting serious about cheap renewable energy but the corporate lobby is far too influential for that to ever happen. They will wait until there is absolutely no fossil fuels left and then go nuclear, then wait until the uranium runs out and then maybe we might see some serious effort put into renewable energy. Probably only if they can work out a way to make a profit off it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back