Carbon Tax what are your thoughts?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just crap. I got a power bill today for 920 bucks same time last year was 615 bucks and my daily use was 45.5 kw and last year 44.5 kw so my bill has gone up 1/3 in a year with out the carbon tax. How are the people who cant pay there bills now going to pay in the future?????????.
We are the lucky country held to ransom with a gov who has to drop to its knees before the greens to get anything done. Lets go back to the polls................

i have no comprehension how you can use that much energy. i have two kids in nappies, which means the washing machine is on daily, and i have a lot of snakes, and my daily usage is always between 10-11 kw.
to answer your question, you will pay the bills by switching stuff off...

i have no comprehension how you can use that much energy. i have two kids in nappies, which means the washing machine is on daily, and i have a lot of snakes, and my daily usage is always between 10-11 kw.
to answer your question, you will pay the bills by switching stuff off...

If you have no comprehension then keep it to yourself. The question was for the people who cant pay the bill now. Not me..........

If you have no comprehension then keep it to yourself. The question was for the people who cant pay the bill now. Not me..........
I also lack the required comprehension. That bill far exceeds our yearly bill and wel have a large swimming pool. Perhaps you should be proactive and do an electrical audit rather than just whining about it

Before you put a price on carbon dioxide - you need to measure how much from humans produce, on average - now, doesn't matter if you pollute less or burn rubber tires everyday..each person pays the same - fair? - I believe in climate change - but I don't agree with the figures - anyway - thats just me, I think Liberal party are pretending they don't want it just like they do every other party does in this fake democracy. They want The 42 billion internet cables down & the carbon tax up, so they can introduce the smart grid(like in the uk, control electrical intake to all homes) and carbon tax to take private property away, de industrialising & having china in lead - smaller companies will give up from land rent - nothing will be owned anymore but by the gov. when it regards environment ! An excuse that does nothing for climate change! Thinking they can hand over our currency once they find a price in carbon by carbon credits / resources.. our sovereignty and dollar will collapse into UN delegation...we will have less power :-/

Electricity prices are increasing relatively fast now to catch up from the unrealistic prices of the past. Since most power in australia is produced from coal powered power stations, the price of electricity must rise as the price of coal rises.
One way to keep electricity prices down is to uses cheaper forms of generation such as solar and wind.They are also renewable.
About half the cost of electricity bills is the cost of reticulating power. If power is produced at a local level , such as on your roof, reticulation costs will be reduced.

Well on top of the tax the government is about to faze out rebates on solar.
So you go from being out of pocket about $4500 dollars for a 1.5kw system to being out of pocket around $12000 for the same system. So it will now not be a cheaper alternate. Now with the 22cent tariff a 1.5kw system will on produce around $350 dollars a year compared to the 60cent tariff which would make around $1000.

So the tax is coming in and the price for renewable energy is going up! So your system will go from a few years of paying its self of to about 20 years, which is more than the life expectancy of the system. On top of that they are installing smart meters so the will charge you time of use periods.

The price of coal goes up but it also drops aswell, but you don't the the price of power dropping when the price of coal does.

Your bill doesn't get charged by kW it gets charged by kWh. so if you do the maths sutto75 isn't using 45kW a day he is using 45kWh at around 19c per kWh (at a guess not including peak periods or time of use) which makes his bill $900+. which 45kWh a day is almost what an average house uses in sydney.

Don't get me started on this topic!

The whole thing is a gigantic crock! Yes, I think we should be modifying our impact on the planet, use renewable resources and raise our awareness to the environment and impact lax attitudes can cause; but in reality this new tax should be called the "chicken little tax"!! According to the people behind this ridiculous global warming religion (and I say religion because it demands a fair dose of faith in its overall "believability"), the sky is indeed falling!

We're supposedly the greatest polluters in the world according to some out there, but compared to who? Low payed Chinese civilians who have to bunk in with 3 generations of their family into a 2 bedroom apartment??? .... According to these "stats" we should be taking a leaf out of third world standards... No electricity during winter for warming, no more than one light on in the house at any given time..... Don't use your a/c during heat waves.... Seriously where is it all going???

Then there is a carry-on affect by bringing this "righteous" tax in! Transport goes up, which in turn effects the cost of everything! But it's our fault! We've got huge uranium resources at our fingertips, yet still choose to burn dirty coal to produce our electricity.... And now we're going to be stung for it! Badly!

Perhaps I'm off the mark with a few comments, but I think I've got a reasonable grasp of the reality behind it! It's not the tough medicine we need to swallow like the ones blindly following the hype want you to believe. I'm sure there are other ways of changing our ways other than making money out of it, under the guise of it! It's just poor form!

The advantage of solar energy production compared to coal produced power is that the cost of generation stays the same for solar (at the moment the sun is free) wheras coal increases in price as energy becomes more scarce.
It is likely that energy prices will treble over the next ten years but the price of the sun will hopefully still be free.

Yeah i totally agree with you on that wokka. But to power your house from the sun it will cost you about $50,000. If your in the country and your building your house you would consider it cause the cost of running power to your own house would cost about the same depending on how many poles you have to put in. If your in a more suburban area the cost to put power in is about $1000.

So the tax will really hurt the average australian on the average wage.

how do you manage 10-12 kwh, just curious perhaps I can utilize your knowlege to my advantage.

Don't get me started on this topic!

The whole thing is a gigantic crock! Yes, I think we should be modifying our impact on the planet, use renewable resources and raise our awareness to the environment and impact lax attitudes can cause; but in reality this new tax should be called the "chicken little tax"!! According to the people behind this ridiculous global warming religion (and I say religion because it demands a fair dose of faith in its overall "believability"), the sky is indeed falling!

We're supposedly the greatest polluters in the world according to some out there, but compared to who? Low payed Chinese civilians who have to bunk in with 3 generations of their family into a 2 bedroom apartment??? .... According to these "stats" we should be taking a leaf out of third world standards... No electricity during winter for warming, no more than one light on in the house at any given time..... Don't use your a/c during heat waves.... Seriously where is it all going???

Then there is a carry-on affect by bringing this "righteous" tax in! Transport goes up, which in turn effects the cost of everything! But it's our fault! We've got huge uranium resources at our fingertips, yet still choose to burn dirty coal to produce our electricity.... And now we're going to be stung for it! Badly!

Perhaps I'm off the mark with a few comments, but I think I've got a reasonable grasp of the reality behind it! It's not the tough medicine we need to swallow like the ones blindly following the hype want you to believe. I'm sure there are other ways of changing our ways other than making money out of it, under the guise of it! It's just poor form!

I agree nuclear power is much more greener than coal fired power. Its being used in countries overseas and they are producing so much that they are selling power to other countries.

Another thing to look at is the bloom box. invest more money in stuff like that.

The reason why they don't is cause the government wont make money off it. They own the power sector so green energy to them means less money!

Hooglabah what do you have in your house?? like air con, electric hot and electric cook tops?

how do you manage 10-12 kwh, just curious perhaps I can utilize your knowlege to my advantage.

Candles for lighting, computer and tv powered by team of hamsters on wheels, static electricity powered herp set up.

Yeah i totally agree with you on that wokka. But to power your house from the sun it will cost you about $50,000. If your in the country and your building your house you would consider it cause the cost of running power to your own house would cost about the same depending on how many poles you have to put in. If your in a more suburban area the cost to put power in is about $1000.

The opportunity cost of $50000 is about $5000 per year or 10% pa, How long do you think it will be until the average residential power bill hits $5000 pa.

We are putting in a 10kw system which will produce about $10000 pa with the subsidised feedin tarriff of 66cents per kilowatt. Even without the subsidy $3000 feedin tariff would offset the average househould powerbill now, and that power may cost 10K pa in the future.
The idea of the carbon price is to discourage carbon release which generally means using energy more efficently. The tax will make it worthwhile to invest in claen energy rather than just burning the same old dirty coal!

Put it this way... it's got me seriously investigating installing solar. So perhaps in a weird way, it's doing something positive. Even though I still think the scaremongering behind it is appalling! I'll vote for anyone who'll stop it going through! Life is expensive enough for some as it is without it costing more.

So what is everyones ave kWh use. we can see that i dont turn anything off at all lol but yes i would like to know how you can spend only or less than 900 bucks a year on power with out putting back into the grid i.e solar
so im at 44.5kWh
and you.......

Government - Get.The.Fools.Out.

All well and good when your a rich son of a broad, but there is a little thing called people being worse off than you.

Saying prices of Elec are catching up to what the should be...thats a bit of a cop out. living prices in australia are a joke as it is. if you can afford it. good. get the hell out of this conversation. you have no right to talk about it.

gonna push all our farmers out of business through a chain of events. hell, we'll be buying more food from china. i dont want food from china fertilised by dead bodies and human faeces. chinese apples...NO...bleached chinese garlic...NO. china NO

hmmmm

ive got nothing wrong with cleaning up our act. do it sensibly, not death of the economy.

hmmmm geothermal is unstabe (earthquakes) wind turbines are expensive, as is panel production.

fluride comes from the smoke stacks of aluminium smelters and fertilizer production.

nuclear is the way to go. but then tim flannery will say australia is too small for nuclear. but australia will grow :( so we will need to accomodate.

theres too many people on earth. put in place a one child policy or something like that but that denies the right to choice. dont have kids, be more lesbian or something. let gays and lesbians marry, less kids will be born that way because they will be more open.

ban religion. religion is worse than 'global warming'

ban volcanoes from blowing up. hibalahjibaroo in iceland makes more pollution in 4 days than the world does in 4 years

lets use homer simpsons logic and live under the sea

If you can afford it solar is still good im agreeing with you on that totally. But the government has dropped the tariff to 20c gross.
The 66cent feed in tariff ends in 2016 so $5000 pa so your only making $30,000 in the 6 year total you have with the 66 cent after that it drops to 20cent.

Wokka What type of panels and inverter are you using? feel free to PM details

Last edited:
With us, in the winter we use up to 55kwh, as we have 13 fish tanks and 16 reptile tanks, our last winter bill was $1400, our last bill was $900 and I'm expecting this one to be a bit less, but I'm not happy with all of these price rises, as we use to have a comfortable life now every week is a struggle, I'm expecting down the track to have to give up the 2 hobbies we luv just too pay the mortgage, and the power bills.

If you can afford it solar is still good im agreeing with you on that totally. But the government has dropped the tariff to 20c gross.
The 66cent feed in tariff ends in 2016 so $5000 pa so your only making $30,000 in the 6 year total you have with the 66 cent after that it drops to 20cent.

Wokka What type of panels and inverter are you using? feel free to PM details

To me solar comes out in front on all three bottom lines. There is more to decisions than just dollars. Although solar stacked up financially the environmental and social benefits are there to.

Unfortunately I use about 10K worth of power a year now at 20c/kwh, so with my system I break about even, but by 2006 I expect power will be closer to 60 cents /kwh than to todays 20cents so it should still stack up financially then

Perhaps its just a way for be to sooth my guilt using so much power warming 500 or so snakes and freezing a few cubic meters of food. I dont know if you would call it carbon nuetral but it is better than just burning coal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back