Carnivorous plants

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hornet what are you looking for for the aristo seed? Are yours from ebay? I'd be interested to see how you go in getting these highlanders growing. Please keep us updated.

Jumala - I'm glad to hear that you fared well and that the plants mostly fared well and that the cuttings are still going strong. That rokko x boschiana of yours is stunning. The truncata is also very nice. How old is your truncata and what size was it when you first got it? As strange as it may sound my favourite part of N. truncata is the leaves. They have a great shape, colour and can get quite large which makes the pitchers stand out that bit more. I can't wait to see the red flush truncata from EP when it arrives.

The eddy x looks interesting by the way. Could you please post up some photos once it opens and fully colours? Thanks in advance and thanks again for posting up some nice pics.

Last edited:
yep they are ebay seeds, buying a couple of entire pods, generally means they are fresh and gives far better germination. Been speaking to some growers and really i shouldnt need much at all in the way of special equip to grow them here

thanks Kak :) The truncata is one that I got off pritch from ebay so it has grown a bit probably about an inch or so - 3/4 new leaves and pitchers. The leaves are cool on it too :D I'm not sure how old it is .... I believe it was seed grown.

My fake eddy cross :lol: is developing nicely. It is looking just like the ones in the other website link that you gave me Kak ... It is still very nice even though it isn't an eddy :p

Hornet - Sounds great. I only hope that they are what they are sold as. Many people who have been sold aristo seeds on ebay have grown them out only to find they are definately not aristo. The same happens with edwardsiana, villosa and a few others. My fingers are crossed and I can't wait to see your results. I'll have to try my hand at growing seed soon enough. You've definately inspired me.

Jumala - What ever the age that truncata is a beauty. Pritch has a lot of nice plants that he sells on ebay. I'll have to look at getting one of his truncatas. Whatever the eddy x is it is definately nice for sure. I have another link on some results a guy has had with cuttings (none in water unfortunately) if you'd like to see it just let me know. Thanks for the quick reply. By the way not long now till the EP plants arrive. :)

from all reports i have heard this seller is pretty good with labeling and selling fresh seed so fingers crossed

Hornet there are one or two good sellers on there so I have my fingers crossed for you mate.

Hornet there are one or two good sellers on there so I have my fingers crossed for you mate.

the ones to avoid are the ones who sell small amounts of seed. Whilst the id may be correct chances are the seed is far to old to get a decent germination rate

Kak - yes pritch has very nice plants :) definately someone who has well grown plants and is a pleasure to deal with! You're not trying to steal my truncata are you??? :lol: I'm getting another one from him sometime soon .....
Ask him for other plants if you are chasing anything particularly once you win something but he mainly has lowland and intermediate from memory. That and it is not exactly cool up here :lol: for highland stuff. I'd be interested in the cuttings link - always good to have more info :)

Hornet - can you pm me the ebay seller for the seed if they have lowland species? Thanks :)

I'd love to get a real eddy cross :) I just love the peristome. That or a hamata cross ;)

Jumala - I'd never try to steal your truncata lol. I want to see how my EP truncata goes before getting another which could be some time into the future. Lowlanders don't do too well with me in my area although my Rafflesiana white is now growing well. It looked like it was dying however it has come back and has developed a nice growth point within the last week. I'll see how it goes though.

The sad thing about not being able to keep lowlanders is that I can't keep one of my favourite plants N. ampullaria. I've just got some terracotta pots for my highlanders which will be arriving soon. I'm pumped and can't wait. I'll send that link on cuttings via pm. By the way I have a N. hamata on the way. Oh I am so excited.

I believe all mine are intermediates or heat tolerant low landers. Cant see why i couldnt grow low landers here, ampullaria is one i would love to try :). What highlanders are you getting?

I just recently purchased off fishhead,
N. maxima
N. rokko
N. sibuyenensis x maxima
N. maxima x fusca
I also just sowed some N. mirabilis seeds. My VFT seeds sprouted a few days ago but I have had no luck with any Drosera as of yet. My harddrive on my computer shat itself but as soon as I get it sorted I'll throw some pics up.
Hornet- Due to my new addiction, I may be interested in some sanguinea seeds.

actually i just had a look at ampullaria's natural climate and it grows both as a high and a low land so no reason you couldnt grow it if you get the right form

Hornet you are right in that you could grow lowlanders in your area. I should point out that in my area I too can grow lowlanders. As a matter of fact that white rafflessiana has started to grow now with the warm weather. Lowlanders though do not do nearly as well in my set up for intermediates/highlanders hence why I wouldn't grow amp's as they may suffer.

Lowlanders in my area as a hole tend to suffer and stop growing as we get down to 1 degree celcius on a number of occasions which is not condusive to growing lowlanders. Added to this the climate/humidity of North Queensland is far better for lowlanders then my area. I am aware that there are one or two amp found as highlanders however they are few and far between.

I am getting a one or two species and a few hybrids such as lowii x talangensis, lowii x veitchii, maxima x aristo and a few others which I can't remember lol.

Geck - Great work mate. John is a nice guy. VFT's can take a little while to sprout depending on location, seed age etc but the end result is great and very rewarding. Hopefully those Drosera get a move on for you. Hornet will be able to guide you with any Drosera see questions you have. All the best mate.

Last edited:
If i find a high land amp i'll deff let you know. Yea we rarely get below 10 here, i think max we get down to is like 6 or 8c. nice sub tropical climate

Thanks hornet. I do know of a few coming up for sale and may get some then. In the mean time let us know if you find some.

Kak - you got a hamata????? You DEFINATELY have to post pics of that one when it turns up!!! Thanks for the cuttings link, it was interesting to see how long they took to get roots. I have one leafless piece and the other is the active growing point. Seems like that one will be the piece that will be the most likely to be successful. In saying that, the end of the leafless piece is still showing a pale colour (like the growing point one) so you just never know .......

Geck82 - so where are you going to hide this lot??? :lol:

Jumala,
Oddly enough my missus doesnt mind when i get a new plant but if i get a new reptile she hits the roof... go figure.
Today i recieved some D. capensis "red" and some D. filiformis gemmae.

Thought i would throw up a few pics,
VFT Seed sprouting @ 17 days :D
VFT sprouting.jpg

N.maxima pitcher 10cm
N. maxima.jpg

N. maxima x fusca
N. maxima x fusca.jpg

Sarracenia with new pitchers forming, Im not sure what type of sarra it is.
Sarracenia.jpg

Jumala - Yep a hamata is on its way. I can't wait for it too arrive. Once it arrives i'll post up some pics. I'm glad you liked the link. I am waiting in antisipation to see the results of your own test growing.

Geck - Some nice plants mate. It will be exciting seeing the end result once that pitcher fully inflates. Those VFT's sprouted quick which is great. Just wait till they get bigger and start eating fingers lol. The sarra looks nice unfortunately though I can't help with id as I am not too good with sarras. Good to hear the wife is happy and all is well.

well my latest order :lol: from EP should get here next week!!! :D Looks like I managed to score an albomarginata as well :D :D :D ok so I just can't help myself lmao!!!! It's ok I know I'm an addict :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back