Carnivorous plants

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just snapped pics, just found the last of my Drosera dichrosepala has died, was 1 of only 2 species of pygmy i had left and only had the single plant. Started with about 6 species but had a bad fun, luckily my Drosera microscapa are now thriving so will add pics in a tic. Cant wait to get gemmae off them and get a nice full pot going.

Recently I was given the chance to own and grow a Nep hybrid which is still quite rare and yet to be released. The nep was first produced by EP and is a lowii x ampullaria x mira. Attached are photos of when I first got it a month or so ago and the next two are of the plant now and the first pitcher produced in my care.

This is the most exciting plant in my collection next to the lowii x truncata wide peristome and lowii x merrilliana giant. It makes me ask what is your most prized carnivorous plant and do you have any photos of it?

The pitchers as you can see died off due to the new conditions
lowii amp mira.jpg

The plant as it is now with a new lower pitcher inflating (right hand side)
lowii x amp x mira plant.jpg

The first lower pitcher
lowii x amp x mira.jpg

Last edited:
here are my Drosera microscapa
DSCF2096.jpg

DSCF2097.jpg

Recently I was given the chance to own and grow a Nep hybrid which is still quite rare and yet to be released. The nep was first produced by EP and is a lowii x ampullaria x mira. Attached are photos of when I first got it a month or so ago and the next two are of the plant now and the first pitcher produced in my care.

This is the most exciting plant in my collection next to the lowii x truncata wide peristome and lowii x merrilliana giant. It makes me ask what is your most prized carnivorous plant and do you have any photos of it?

The pitchers as you can see died off due to the new conditions
View attachment 184086

The plant as it is now with a new pitcher inflating (right hand side)
View attachment 184087

The first pitcher
View attachment 184088

Not a bad looking plant, have you seen pics of the mature pitchers?

Hornet those pygmies are beautiful my friend. I hope you have a better run with them. As for the lowii x ampullaria x mira I have not seen the uppers only the lowers to date. This is a plant that has only recently been bred by EP so it will be a little while before I do get to see uppers. It has however rapidly grown for me so I am wondering what the time period will be before I see uppers. The exciting part for me is growing young plants and watching them grow. I feel like forest gump at times in that you never know what ya gonna get lol.

I think it was from using coco peat, drosera are very sensitive to any impurities in the water or mix. After all the rain its possible that its leached to an acceptable level for them

Kak, that lowii x ampullaria x Mira is very nice, the not knowing what it's going to produce is edge of your seat stuff :)
Hornet, them microscapa are fricken tiny.
I just checked my seeds and gemmae (as I've just learnt) and it looks like my D. spatulata are starting to sprout, or it could be something in the spagnum, I'm not entirely sure.
Last night I won myself 3 Neps on eBay, I have to stop now or my missus will kick me out.
I couldn't believe someone paid $117.50 for one of the Neps up for auction last night.

what nep was that Geck? I stopped bidding at about $60 for a nep last week, if i had the cash would have gone double that

That was an N. burbidgea x edwardsiana that went for $117.50
I picked up a maxima "dark", a rokko and a sibuyenensis x maxima, I can't find much info around on the rokko though.

What do you want to know about rokko? Its thorelii x maxima if you wanted to know parentage

Ah ok, thanks for that hornet, I didn't know it was a hybrid, that makes sense, now I can find more info on it. Is that the same as how the sibuyanensis x maxima is referred to as "gothica"?

Geck - Congratulations on your winnings. You sure have some nice plants on the way. Ebay is great for getting cuttings of many of the crosses that are no longer being produced as seedlings. Many of the nep crosses are one offs so I keep a keen eye on ebay.

I've found on ebay that people often don't realise what the plants usually sell for which is great for the sellers. Many also do not check out the commercial growers who often sell plants for cheaper then what is on ebay. One of the growers in particular sells plants for example for $40 on his site however if he sticks them on ebay he often gets around $100 which is great as he is a great grower. If I buy off of ebay I ensure that I have a limit and check with the growers what they will sell theirs for or the availability before bidding.

Congrats on getting the seed and gemmae going. I've sent you a pm. By the way you talk about the wife kicking you out I just put an order in for $330 of Neps. Not sure how she's gonna react when they arrive lol.

Hornet - Do you mind if I ask what Nep you were bidding for? Was it the ventricosa x trusmadiensis?

It was Nepenthes glabrata, one of the top on my wish list. I'm a species man, only really by hybrids if they are nice and cheap.

Cool thanks for that hornet. Glabrata are very nice and quite easy to grow. I hope you get one soon.

Thanks for the link :) Will have to chuck up some spares to fund some new additions lol

Thanks Kak, that would be one invoice I would be hiding from the other half when it arrives :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back