Carpet python substrate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
....Leaves etc long term, just adds a much higher risk to harm your animals in a number of different ways that paper does not. ...
Far from newspaper being for the benefit of the keeper it is used so much because it works well which benefits the animal. It is way more hygienic than any type of loose substrate as it forces the keeper to do a complete clean as soon as it is fouled as opposed to spot cleans which other substrates encourage.

The big difference is that in the wild reptiles are not forced to lay in their waste like they are from being stuck in a box.

Thoroughness in the cleaning up of wastes is dependant upon the keeper, not the substrate. Different substrates require different amounts of time and diligence but all suitable substrates are amenable to thorough removal of wastes. Paper is certainly amongst the quickest and easiest to clean and therefore a good choice for busy people and those with large collections. For those that enjoy looking at their snakes in a more natural setting, wood, coir and leaf substrates are much more pleasing on the eye and may therefore be considered worth the extra effort in cleaning.

The hygiene dangers are very much overstated in my opinion. There are a number of examples of neglected collections where snakes had no substrate and were living in their own wet wastes. The health of the animals was affected by lack of food and water rather than bacterial infection. There are also a number of cases of Mulga Snakes and BHPs swallowing their own faeces, to no ill effect. I feel we automatically assume that bacteria from the gut will damage reptiles when outside the gut, which is actually seldom the case. Faecal matter retained in the colon and kept at least moderately moist is a different kettle of fish. Under these conditions certain intestinal bacteria are able to multiple to way above normal numbers and the level of their toxic wastes produced can be injurious to the reptile.

Blue

bluetongue1, When using leaves, bark, wood chips etc unless all sub-straight is changed all the time, ie nearly every day, there is no comparison to paper. Spot cleaning does not get rid of everything. Simple fact.
Alot of reptile parasites have a direct life cycle and can do enormous damage to them as they build up, another simple fact.

I think this is one of those controversial issues where people will always disagree. I agree with [MENTION=20726]Bluetongue1[/MENTION]. Any substrate can be kept clean, dust and insect free. Any issues with a messier substrate can be counteracted by good husbandry. I personally use newspaper because I consider it to be convenient.

Bacteria generally requires moisture to grow, so if your substrate is dry and cleaned regularly, no problems there. When you spot clean, be thorough. In order to be conscientious, you'll want to change the whole lot regularly.

The point I would like to make is to do what you want. Plenty of snakes have lived on kitty litter, leaves and sand without any signs of ill-health. Just keep your substrate as clean as you can.

I use newspaper.. Wrapping paper.. kids love the colours . Or fake grass.

A number of nematodes and also protozoa etc have a direct life cycle and are common reptile parasites that are carried internally by reptiles they can cause death very easily when they bloom to decent numbers. nether need moisture in the enclosue to re-infect reptiles.

I dunno if I'm pointing out the obvious here but if they made paper with a leaf litter print everyone could be happy :)

Ive used sand, paper kitty litter, carpet and fake grass with my beardies so far an found sand to be the easiest to keep clean. These guys frequently poop so keeping there enclosure is a bit more work then a python. It guess it would depend on how much furniture you have in the enclosurs as well, if heavily furnished news paper just wouldnt work.

Have used paper kitty litter, news paper and coco coir with my jungle python and found all about the same. Coir being cheaper but having to dry it out before putting it into the enclosure is inconvenient. News paper wins hands down for regular bowel movements.

It guess it comes down to time spent cleaning and cost. If you want a natural looking enclosure i say go for it, the animals wont care too kuch either way.

If using a loose substrate be mindful when you are spot cleaning to remove a decent amount of substrate around fecal matter. Changing out all substrate if any smells start to occur, this could be a few weeks to a few months depending on if they are feeding.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back