Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naledge

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've had people tell me so adamantly that carpet pythons are amazing, placid snakes and others say that they have a snappy, mean temperament.

I know it usually depends on the snake, but generally, what's the carpet temperament usually like? Compared to smaller snakes like spotteds and childreni?

there normally placid and friendly as it was mentioned above jungles are abit snappy

most of the time when carpets strike is because people don't wash there hand after patting pets and the smell there pet and sometimes there just abit cranky

i find my carpets better then my spotteds.

murray darlings are the most placid imo

What kind of carpet? I would rate the alleged 'subspecies', from most to least aggressive as-

M.s. cheynei
M.s. variegata
M.s mcdowelli
M.s. spilota
M.s. metcalfei
M.s. imbricata

Yet I have a M.s. cheynei that is the most placid little beauty, since about 1 year old he has been perfectly mannered, with kids, dogs and all! I've had psychotic and placid M.s. spilota as well as mcdowelli. Generally though, I find them to kind of fit into the above order. Every M.s imbricata I've found in the wild has been really reluctant to bite, they hiss and carry on but just won't strike.

Oh okay, awesome thanks.
I'm specifically talking about Darwin's.

All three of my brother's Jungles were beautiful and never struck, his coastals did though haha.

I find them to be as nasty as string is long.

In comparison to Children's Pythons, they are just like apples.

My Antaresia are the most placid of all my snakes( not including my waters who are puppy dog tame). I have a large coastal that has never once even attempted to strike at me, in my experience jungles seem to be unpredictable and can be placid one day and snappy the next, darwins tend to be similar but with any snakes there are always nasty examples of a species and placid examples of that same species. I have actually been bitten more by one of my Murray-Darlings than any other of my snakes

it really depends on the snake you cant generalise out side of its a python its an elapid its an colubrid

LOL my childrens is snappy tries to nail me everytime my coastl is about 50/50 and my bhp is a big softy

it really depends on the snake you cant generalise out side of its a python its an elapid its an colubrid

Wrong. You can easily stereotype the character of many genera, and species of snake from anywhere in the world. Like most stereotypes, observations are based on a trend, rather than an event, in temperament, so exceptions will be bountiful, yet statistics will be probable.

You should try handling a Taipan as you would a tiger snake and see if your assertion is correct. Or a Boiga as you would a Dendrelaphis- ouch! ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch (cries out loud *what's happenning!?*) ouch, ouch, ouch etc ad nauseum.

So the general consensus is; there is no general consensus.

Other than Jungles are PMS'ey 24/7 and every other Carpet has it's own personality and temperament depending on the snake...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back