carpets together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNT

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A question for breeders and keepers. Obviously breeders put carpets together and I am wondering how you introduce them to eachother. Obviously pheremones will be singing but what's the process if there is one.

What about non breeding carpets? Soon there will be three morelias here, previously 1 + bhp. Never introduced them for obvious reasons!

Can the morelias meet and greet without danger (there will be some size disparity but not a lot.)

Visiting Longqi the greens and the Burmese were happy with eachother.

I've met many snakes in the wild but never seen two carpets interacting. So I'm curious.

Kept carpets together for years without dramas
Just supervise feeding and sponge them off after a feed to remove rat scent

A very very few will not like each other
But you can see that when you first introduce them

Males can get aggressive during mating season if there are no females around
So be careful then

Diamonds in the wild are frequently found together around Nelson Bay

Interesting question, Steve. I can't answer it directly, but I can say that I've seen snakes living together in enclosures, apparently harmoniously. In a local zoo here, most snakes share an enclosure with at least one other snake. In one case a retic and a Burmese are cage mates. (It's quite a large enclosure!) What I find fascinating is that a lot of the time, the snakes curl up together. Even the retic and the Burmese do this. Is it to conserve heat, because they like each other's company or for some other reason? I wish I could answer that!

Just introduce the male into the females enclosure to assist in less dominance/cage defensiveness from the male...but in saying this i have never had a problem with introducing carpets around June in hybination.Once they are ok with each other you can introduce any way you want to.

Cheers
Congo

Thanks R & L! Appreciated.

Must be a few others with advice? experinces?

Cheers C. They dont hibernate here. It's all good, we get to see them most of the time, year round

Just introduce the male into the females enclosure to assist in less dominance/cage defensiveness from the male...but in saying this i have never had a problem with introducing carpets around June in hybination.Once they are ok with each other you can introduce any way you want to.

Cheers
Congo

Last edited:
Sorry NT i missed the non breeding carpets part lol..... if of similar size they should be ok to introduce if supervised but i wouldn't keep them together as its a pain in the butt at feeding time to seperate and or keep an eye on them during feeding time in the same cage. If one eats quicker than the other your just asking for problems.

I've kept diamonds together without any problems. As l said, feed separate and out of the enclosure. Make sure there are adequate hides etc.

7cb945b2-b59a-46e9.jpg

Live in two different cages

Ive only housed young snakes together but I had a 12 mth MD female and a 6 mth male together and a young MD and young Bredli together ( the MD was twice the size of the Bredli ) with no problems , I introduced them outside their tanks and they immediately crawled over each other , I always fed them seperately , I found they always slept curled up together .

Cheers B urd! Hard to execute with our open the door and if they want to come out they will philosophy.

There's an enclosure for each and we'll go that way but with picnics :) for all the family.

I've kept diamonds together without any problems. As l said, feed separate and out of the enclosure. Make sure there are adequate hides etc.

That pic was from to nite there first meeting of each other and they both just wanted the iPad I tell ya :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back