Cat Litter as Substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cammo13

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone i was just wondering if that "recycled paper cat litter" would be any good as a substrate for bluetongues.'
Many thanks
Cameron:)

bluetounges i personally would deffinatly not use it
if i were u id just use newspaper
safest cleanest easiest thing to use ;)

ok thanks for that , what about "aspen snake bedding or hay are they any good or not
Many thanks
Cameron

hmmm i have never touched the stuff, dont really no much about it
still think the papers the best way to go
is it ur first reptile? good luck :)

No my first was a childrens python (altough i think she is a pygmy python) and Fred my bluetounge is my secong reptile. i was just wondering what would be a good substrate.
Cameron

I just put synthetic grass in my 2 beardy tanks im pretty happy with it just have spare ones so i can swap and wash.

Not for a blue tongue. Blue tongues and beardeds are notorious for eating their environment, and can become impacted because of the non-digestable object. Some people DO use it for older lizards, but they're generally more experienced about eating things (lol), and because that owner hasn't had any lizards die from impaction. Sand is another big culprit of impaction.

Cammo13, what makes you think your childrens is a pygmy? If you paid more than $700 dollars for it, then there is a possibility.

I use to use cat litter normal which is what the pet store suggested yet they were using newspaper pallets. My bluey is only 7 mths old and as yet has not eaten any that I know of. I found with the cat litter there was heaps of dust not good for a lizard's eye.

Hi Notechistiger, she is over 2 and a half years old and she is only around 75 cm long and as thick as my dads pinkie finger.
Cameron

I also paid around $900 dollars for her and the tank second hand
Cameron

pics mate???

id use reptile bark, i use it for my beardie
it provides nail wear
an the option to dig.
an is eazy to spot clean

my beardie has dug him self out a bed in the bark which he curls up into.
only bad thing is pray getting under it too.

but feeding in a tub out of the enclosure is a fix for that.

i used the recycled paper cat litter for my blue tongues in 1/3 of their enclosure and the other 2/3 was astro turf, i had no problems with it and they were fed on the side with the turf, i always give blue tongues something to dig into and bury themselves in it.

Heres some pics of her. There taken about a month ago. I could get better ones if you would like.
Cameron

Attachments

• roxy and ava 028.JPG
    roxy and ava 028.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 111
  • roxy and ava 029.JPG
    roxy and ava 029.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 98
Can you get a close up? From what I can see, she looks very childrens to me. How old was she when you bought her? Many childrens that aren't fed heaps are very, very small when they're adults.

i got her when she was about 18 months old and have had her for nearly a year now and she was very small when i got her too. If she is a childrens how long do u think it will take her to get bigger??
Cameron

Attachments

• ava 098.JPG
    ava 098.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 45
She looks childrens to me, although many experts still get misidentify individuals of the Antaresia group. Snakes never stop growing. However, if she was underfed before you got her, then it's unlikely that she'll ever attain a good size. If you intend to breed her, get her properly identified first, and check with a vet to see if she'll be able to do so, due to her size.

Ok i will do that as i would like to breed her soon! and thanks for all the help
Much appreicated
Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back