Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of the members who own cats.. how many have cat runs outside for their cats?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • no cat run but kept inside

Votes: 30 47.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My landlords wife is cruel and sadistic. You should see her eyes light up when she talks about trapping dogs and cats for them to be put down. She's pretty much given me orders that for each animal that comes into the yard, a trap must be set.

I said to her that I wasn't really comfortable sending pets off to the pound to be put down, and she responded with something along the lines of how good it is to send female dogs off to the pound to be knocked, so they don't breed. How the hell would she know if it was desexed or not?

We've had a Labrador come here from down the road, my GF and I hid it until we found the owners. I can't believe people could seriously send someones pet to meet its maker. I can't believe that people would stand around waiting for collared dogs without owners to shoot, either. That's just horrible.

I think Longqis method is the best (although I probably would only bluff and not end up shooting it). It's not the animals fault.

This is coming from someone who really doesn't like cats, by the way. I'll give the odd one a pat, but they aren't my cup of tea at all. Would never dream of hurting one, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gordo, that's a different situation, as you said you live in a natural environment where dogs and cats don't belong. I don't know where Jaffa lives but I dare to think in some suburb. The cat in his trap looks nothing like a feral. There are people on this planet (some in Jaffa's suburb) that keep cats for company and to many of them it's a tragedy to loose their beloved pet of many years. I don't want to sound soft-hearted but to post a recipe on APS how to get rid of a cat, which will invariably hurt someone is a moronic act. Nothing smart or brave about it. Sorry.

Michael, if it appears to you that I think myself a hero than you are wrong.
What I have started this thread is to show people how easy and humane it is to rid feral and unwanted animals. All feral cats that are not considered pets are to be euthanised, and pets are to be held at the local pound for 3 days where owners of lost pets can pay a fee and claim them.

I respect and can sypathise with you about the pet in the freezer incident that would of caused alot of grief.

I dont appreciate the dorogatory comments aimed at me regarding how I have handled the situation in doing the right thing according to our local law.
I have agreat deal of respect for you waterrat but maybe less aggresive words would be more suitable.

Peace.

So tell us Waterrat do you condone cat owners allowing their pet cats to roam the neighbourhood or not see anything wrong with that?

You forgot to single out longqi as well.

I don't get the whole fuss. Jeffa is doing the right thing, and the most humane solution. I'm a cat owner myself, but when cats are let roam and are disturbing people with fighting and crapping and peeing and killing and what not on YOUR PROPERTY, there has to be SOME way to control this if the owners aren't.

The cat trap is the best solution, many people would do much more sinister methods.. Personally i'd rather my cat trapped than injured in some way or poisoned or something.

i have a feeling if one of my pythons escaped the aviary and made it to the neighbours property, they wouldnt care about how much i love my snakes and wouldnt even give me a chance to retrieve it from the pound,..
....actually, i have no doubt id never see my belooved pets again if i didnt keep them within my property,....

shouldnt that care for someone elses feelings go both ways??

Has anyone ever smelled a house, where a cat Is a prisoner.......course they let them out!

Contrary to what some seem to think native animals actually live in the suburbs.It's difficult enough for them to try and eke out an existance under those circumstances without the added pressure of cats being allowed to roam by irresponsible owners.

i agree with jeffa he was doing the right thing i have 2 dogs one who is not suited to be around other animals except dogs and humans she is the nicest dog ever tho... i told my next door neighbors there cat was in my yard and they should keep inside i told them three times then caught there cat and took it to the pound two month later they had another cat again stirring the dogs. another 2 time i told them but before i could catch it my dog did she killed it and then they complained she is now labeled a dangerous dog that was 2 1/2 years ago i have since removed three more cats of theirs from my yard to the pound...

Only solution to cats is outlawing them....and thats gonna happen!!!

This is crazy, During some storms about two weeks ago my beloved young cat ran-away... if i find out someone has sent him to be put down simply because he is roaming i will be so extremely dissapointed and depressed. I didnt think people still do this. i am hoping and praying every day for a return, i dont really know what to do to find him.

This is crazy, During some storms about two weeks ago my beloved young cat ran-away... if i find out someone has sent him to be put down simply because he is roaming i will be so extremely dissapointed and depressed. I didnt think people still do this. i am hoping and praying every day for a return, i dont really know what to do to find him.

That sucks mate. Have you checked the pounds, and was he microchipped?

If an animal is microchipped and turned into the pound, is it up to the owners to ring the pound to see if it's there, or do the pound check and ring the owners?

Yeah, i dont know of any Cat-pound's i know of a local dog pound... and depressingly enough i was going to get him microchipped that week!

Good points people, This thread was not intended to be a cat hating thread, but a thread to encourage resposible pet ownership. This goes for all animals including dogs and other pets. Us being reptile lovers have a hard part to play in hopefully educating the public about responsibility, including proper housing techniques, so why does this not count for all pets? Ferals are one thing but since this topic has moved on to beloved pets, it would be hypocritical saying some species should be exempt. And if a owner needs to pay a fine to get there pet back then hopefully they get the message and become responsible pet owners, if not then more trips to the pound for me.

Peace

Well done APS members! This has been such a 'tame' thread compared to where i thought it might head! Good to see we are sticking to the rules! ;)
As for letting cats outside, mine have a cat run, & a little free time, in my yard with me there. (& my house doesnt smell :D) I also have problems with my neighbours cats, they killed a water dragon a few weeks back & a green tree snake too :( I take the cats back to them, & let them know to watch them when they are out or else someone may just trap or kill them. I could never hurt them myself, they are just doing what they are born to do! As we do, we are born to live in houses, can i trap a builder who clears trees to do what he is meant to do? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back