celebrity dolphin protest

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree I think it's barbaric in this day and age BUT this small group of villagers have been doing the same thing for 100's of years. To me it's no different to Aboriginals killing Dugongs and turtles, there was a link posted on here in another thread which detailed how these animals were killed and it isn't good reading. Look also at the outrage overseas to the mass slaughter of kangaroos but we see people here telling them to mind their own business.
Like I said I think it is barbaric but as they say let he among us who is without sin cast the first stone.

theres no excuse for making animals suffer so badly in this day and age

Yes i understand!

But Aboriginals killing Dugongs and turtles are for them to eat themselfs (tribe) and they only kill what they need where as the japanese dolphin cull is for the markets. if they the japanese where only allowed to kill what they themselfs can consume the number being culled would be 1/10 if not less. but thats the way i see it.

The difference between a Dolphin and a Kangaroo is a massive gap of intelligence, aside from the fact that we dont allow kangaroos to drown in their own blood but rather shoot them in the head.

Yes I agree, I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong, my personal feeling that in this day and age it is wrong to kill these animals because it is traditional.

Any killing of any animal, that is done inhumanly is wrong. We have laws on how animals slaugtered for meat, must be treated, and there should be the same laws in all countries. The problem being, that dolpins are trainable, and likeable and harmless and animals like that, are more likely to have people trying to stop the killing of them. Animals that can be percieved as harmful, not so cute, or untrainable, arent cared about so much. We protest waling, killing of dolpins and turtles, but only a small group worry about our beautiful sharks. Arent they all equal? And then you have the history factor, when I was in Alaska a couple of years ago, I saw a seal with a spear sticking out of its head and still alive, the eskimo can still hunt, seals and whales because they have done for hundeds of years. but they must use original weapons, like spears. Im not sure if this is humane, but they think it gives the seal a better chance to escape than using a gun. Maybe if we took away the boats and modern netting, and gave them the tools of hundreds of years ago, it would be different. they couldnt cull that many. Surely when the practise started hundreds of years ago, they only took what they could eat. Why not apply the same rules to the dolpin catchers, a row boat, and spears, no motors, no nets. I would love to see it stopped altogether, and refuse to go to Japan, until the whaleing and dolphin killing stops, maybe if it effects their economy, because tourism stops something might be done. Vote with your feet, visit another country.

They have been doing it for 1000s of years, so they don't really understand why all of a sudden it's a big deal. It'd be similair to people going into remote Aboriginal communities and protesting that they eat Olive pythons or something. It's what their culture has done for a veyr very long time and all of a sudden, the West says it's bad. What do you think they'd do?

These protesters annoy me... A dolphins life is worth no more to me than a cows life. People shouldn't be able to decide what is allowed to live and what's allowed to die. As long as they don't severely reduce the population of dolphins (i.e. as long as it is a sustainable practice) I don't mind one bit.

A number of people have said they're 'more intelligent' and 'more likeable' than other animals and so deserve to live... What the hell?! So if something isn't as smart as something else that means it deserves to die more? Come off it. Killing stuff for food is never pretty, but it is necessary. And yes, they could get by without eating dolphin... But I could get by without eating steak.. And that's just not going to happen.

As long as it doesn't Make them Endangered Species I'm fine with it

Phil, if I were to kill your cousin or your child to eat and claim it was sustainable practice because there are plenty of other people around I don't think you would be too happy. The argument many protesters against dolphin slaughter have is that they have an intelligence level comparable to our own and it unacceptable to kill a human in todays society based n our intelligence level, therefore by that logic the same should be said for a dolphin.

Recent research has shown that dolphins are capable of comprehending numerical values. In an experiment where a dolphin was shown two panels with a various number of dots of different size and position, the dolphin was able to touch the panel with a greater number of dots, much more rapidly than many human beings could do.

Surely this level of intelligence places this remarkable creature high above a cow, and the fact that they do not wage ravishing wars across the world nor destroy their environment for furthering their own selfish purposes places them above us in the importance of life forms. In an educated world there is no excuse for murdering such an intelligent creature that we have so much to learn from.

I am not arguing that other animals deserve to feel the pain they do at the slaughter....even the least intelligent of animals should be protected from undue harm, but simply arguing that by our logic of protecting humans and their rights to their tradition that it is completely immoral and should not be allowed to slaughter an animal capable of cognitive and logical judgements and the formation of cultural groups and traditions.

Surely this level of intelligence places this remarkable creature high above a cow, and the fact that they do not wage ravishing wars across the world nor destroy their environment for furthering their own selfish purposes places them above us in the importance of life forms.
so because they dont have the ability to wage wars means they are higher than us in importance? that just sounds ludicrous

read the above link about chinas native dolphin now extinct

It comes down to education as well but there populations so large they cant get the message across!

Its an unfortunate part of society..

Look at the Canadians who slaughter the seal cubs...

Surely this level of intelligence places this remarkable creature high above a cow, and the fact that they do not wage ravishing wars .

Flipper used to wage wars on the poachers in Coral Key Park and Marine Preserve :D

Flipper used to wage wars on the poachers in Coral Key Park and Marine Preserve :D

And if for some reason we went to war against america, dolphins could be the enemy as i'm sure the navy have trained ones they use :lol:

Phil, if I were to kill your cousin or your child to eat and claim it was sustainable practice because there are plenty of other people around I don't think you would be too happy. The argument many protesters against dolphin slaughter have is that they have an intelligence level comparable to our own and it unacceptable to kill a human in todays society based n our intelligence level, therefore by that logic the same should be said for a dolphin.

Dolphins aren't people. Period. We don't eat people because that is cannibalism, illegal, and they are people. Animals aren't people. People are better than animals. Evolution.

.. Referring to later in the post do you honestly think they are 'higher' life forms than us because they don't ruin their environment and have wars? ...If so, and given the chance between a dolphin being killed and a human being killed you would choose the human..? That's pretty messed up.

These protesters annoy me... A dolphins life is worth no more to me than a cows life. People shouldn't be able to decide what is allowed to live and what's allowed to die. As long as they don't severely reduce the population of dolphins (i.e. as long as it is a sustainable practice) I don't mind one bit.

Couldn't agree more.

Re: clubbing baby seals, So many people protested about it, then they passed a law that they can't club baby seals but can kill the adults.

Now to get the same amount of money from the adults they have to kill twice as many as the adult fur is too old.

Food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back