celebrity dolphin protest

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dolphins aren't people. Period. We don't eat people because that is cannibalism, illegal, and they are people. Animals aren't people. People are better than animals. Evolution.

.. Referring to later in the post do you honestly think they are 'higher' life forms than us because they don't ruin their environment and have wars? ...If so, and given the chance between a dolphin being killed and a human being killed you would choose the human..? That's pretty messed up.

You say you are studying to be a vet but if you truly think that "people are better than animals" I think you missed something in basic biology because people ARE animals, unless you would rather class us as a species of plant, or perhaps we aren't even a eukaryote organism.

So we have gone a long way to destroying the only known planet that can support us in order to build upon a society based around such a foolish concept as a monetary economy. I fail to see how sky scrapers and hydrogen bombs make us better.

Cannibalism is a widely practice trait in nature and was an acceptable practice in many human cultures until forceful inclusion of certain religious moral values upon these cultures. Your argument of its illegality is illegitimate. You state that the Japanese fishermen have been killing dolphins for years as justification for the continuation of the practice. By that logic cannibalistic cultures should be allowed to continue and thrive for as long as it is environmentally sustainable to eat human beings (I imagine a fairly long time if cannibal groups remain relatively small and select.)

my opinion?
survival of the fittest (smartest).
BUT... in a humane way ffs...
a bullet to the head.. lethal injection etc.
what the japanese are doing is just wrong.

You say you are studying to be a vet but if you truly think that "people are better than animals" I think you missed something in basic biology because people ARE animals, unless you would rather class us as a species of plant, or perhaps we aren't even a eukaryote organism.

Cannibalism is a widely practice trait in nature and was an acceptable practice in many human cultures until forceful inclusion of certain religious moral values upon these cultures.
Oh you're right... I forgot people aren't plants. Thanks for reminding me mate, I'll ace my final exams now :lol:. When I refer to animals, I refer to those animals that aren't human. Thought that was pretty evident.

I completely agree. I think it is wrong that cannibalistic tribes and cultures have been forced to change their ways. I agree that if it's what they've been doing for 1000s of years, they shold be able to do it. I just won't go visit them for tea.

I think that it is fine for the Japanese to fish for whales and dolphins, until it impacts negatively on the wild populations. Then it should be reduced/stopped. I would also support the farming of whales and dolhpins for human consumption, as this is much better than harvesting from nature in my opinion.

Speaking from an ecological point of view, humans are worth less compared to most animals.

Speaking from a purely statistical standpoint any hunting/fishing of wild animals has a negative impact as it reduces the population. In any case IF cannibals were allowed to eat people it would be a considerably different situation and I may not be as opposed to the Japanese choice of foods but considering our reasons for not killing humans I think it is hypocritical to condone or participate in the mass slaughter of a near equally intelligent creature to ourselves. There needs to be some consistency with why we do things.

And abbott75, you must be joking....spouting rubbish from an outdated book in a debate of modern scientific origin, next I suppose you will tell us that the earth is flat as well as the centre of the universe.....oh and we(humans) certainly as a race can not possibly be descended from apes in an evolutionary sense as god certainly wouldn't allow things to happen THAT way.

Don't get me wrong I support a persons right to choose their religion but use some common sense in recognising that the bible was written thousands of years ago by less knowledgeable beings than your average joe of 2007, to apply it literally to a world infinitely different than that which it was written in is folly.

In all honesty it is no different to fishing, just on a larger scale. I have no problem with it so long as it is sustainable. Before you guys get the flamethrowers out let me know so I can make a run for the fire suit. :rolleyes:

Abbott75, I applaud your attempt to bring the bible into it. I have a spare fire suit for you.

If natives are going to eat Dolphins, Whales etc for food(NOT FOR SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH), not the Japs, I think that might be ok? But not killing just to put on Restaurant Plates, no Way!

And abbott75, you must be joking....
Seeing as the first part of his thread suggesting I minor in botanyw as a joke, I would say that is exactly what he was doing, Veredus. Very astute.

Seeing as the first part of his thread suggesting I minor in botanyw as a joke, I would say that is exactly what he was doing, Veredus. Very astute.

For someone who attacks sarcasm as an approach to an argument in some of your earlier posts in this thread you sure do seem to use it alot. :rolleyes:

Speaking from a purely statistical standpoint any hunting/fishing of wild animals has a negative impact as it reduces the population. In any case IF cannibals were allowed to eat people it would be a considerably different situation and I may not be as opposed to the Japanese choice of foods but considering our reasons for not killing humans I think it is hypocritical to condone or participate in the mass slaughter of a near equally intelligent creature to ourselves. There needs to be some consistency with why we do things.

And abbott75, you must be joking....spouting rubbish from an outdated book in a debate of modern scientific origin, next I suppose you will tell us that the earth is flat as well as the centre of the universe.....oh and we(humans) certainly as a race can not possibly be descended from apes in an evolutionary sense as god certainly wouldn't allow things to happen THAT way.

Don't get me wrong I support a persons right to choose their religion but use some common sense in recognising that the bible was written thousands of years ago by less knowledgeable beings than your average joe of 2007, to apply it literally to a world infinitely different than that which it was written in is folly.

Couldnt agree anymore!

There is a simple fact that stops this argument in its tracks: if it is environmentally sustainable, there is nothing more wrong with dolphin slaughter than with cattle or sheep slaughter.

For those that think because they are intelligent and loveable killing them is wrong, it is not up to you to decide what deserves to live and what doesnt. Much less based on intelligence and cuteness.

KWKW you have some odd views (odd to me, this isn't a personal dig), but if you honestly think that humans aren't the top of the species... I guess that is up to you, isn't it? Most humans will agree that animals lives are simply not as important as a human life. I'd be in that boat for sure.

Sustainability isn't the only important thing.

Humanely killing is, and don't even bother bringing up the inhumane slaughter of cows, pigs and sheep as I don't support ANY inhumane killing.

This is NOT sustainable, and never will be. Farming them will never be right as it is to hard to create a humane method of raising large quantities of dolphin.

I also don't agree with the method aboriginals use to kill turtles and dugongs. I don't care if its tradition, cutting the fins of turtles whilst they are alive is a horrible practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back