Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$1000 for a gecko wow!

Not much for a real gecko enthusiast Aussie-Pride. And when you compare it to the $3k price tag on the patternless/jelly bean levis, it's not much :p

They are a spectacular gecko and would be a great addition to any collection.

$1000 for a gecko wow!

Yes, and they're worth every bit of it.

i-jvfxHG5-L.jpg

i-rMNcvTB-L.jpg

i-h9LJ4mj-L.jpg

Stunning pics Michael, thanks for posting mate.

I wonder what they'd fetch for in W.A if they were on the keepers list. SWP and BHP's are already excess of $850 - $1500

Sam, you say there are quite a few available? I'm yet to see any advertised apart from the trio I mentioned earlier. Advertised being the key word here...

Where are they being advertised? If they are still being sold among friends etc. then I stand by my original statement of them not being readily available due to not many people keeping them.

If your friends have had great success with them this season, then that doesn't suggest they much really. How long have they had them for and how long have they been either trying to breed or successfully bred them?

I'm not saying that these geckos are unkeepable, as I said, I know of a couple of successful breeders and all it takes is the correct set up - if your friends are so successful with them, why aren't they advertising..?

Just because you don't come across many advertisements for a species of reptile doesn't mean they aren't available or being successfully breed. Look back on the frill neck lizard threads from a few years back where people ask where to purchase one and the response was "the breeder didn't have to even advertise because the entire clutch sold via word of mouth before they even hatched". Now days frillies are fairly easy to find.

Theres also herp clubs etc where breeders sell their hatchlings without the need to advertise. Maybe your looking in the wrong places....

Not much for a real gecko enthusiast Aussie-Pride. And when you compare it to the $3k price tag on the patternless/jelly bean levis, it's not much :p

They are a spectacular gecko and would be a great addition to any collection.

yeah I'm not much of a gecko fan myself, more into snakes.. What makes them go for that price, just curious..

Advertising an animal that is only available in limited numbers atm is not really necessary..... I put one Facebook add up to let my friends know they were available... Word of mouth amongst friends is enough for generating interest.... It wasn't an adult pair for sale ... It was 1 yearling to 2 youngens.... I look forward to seeing more of them made available in the future amongst the hobby now that more people are starting to have success with them.....

Does anyone keep / breed the Black Mountain gecko Nactus galgajuga?

i-ncBz8gb-M.jpg

Thanks for all the help. im thinking about upgrading to level 2 because I have my class 1 for over 4 years. I've also been offered one.

I have the money but it's put towards other things now I'll think about upgrading.
I've also done some work with reptiles at zoo's so I think I know what I'm doing.
But thanks anyway danstar.

Cooly... It's great that you have shown interest in these beautiful animals.... My advice would be that you try other rainforest animals first. Ie Boyd's, Angleheads ....it is a very costly experience if you find that you can't keep the conditions in their enclosure at the necessary levels due to the heat in your home or other environmental issues that could affect them... If your in a dry/ hot area it will be very costly having to run an aircon constantly through summer to be able to maintain the necessary conditions for these geckos well being....

i-ncBz8gb-M.jpg

Never really taken an interest in gecko's but some of the photos you've put up here are amazing. As for your question, rob porter at livefoods unlimited keeps/breeds a lot of different gecko's. He may be able to point you in the right direction. Check out his website.

It's ironic that this tropical species (carpho) is easier to keep in temperate climate than in the tropics. We acquired few specimens from the tablelands and clearly, they couldn't exist in local conditions. Despite having them in enclosures with a deep layer of soil where they could go 40cm down, it was a struggle to keep them alive.
There is a lowland population (I better not say where) that may be better suited to captivity.

i-ncBz8gb-M.jpg

No one?

Pretty little gecko..... There are so many gecko species I would love too see.... So are they in captivity???

Pretty little gecko..... There are so many gecko species I would love too see.... So are they in captivity???

That's my question. I haven't heard of any.

They are not the most spectacular species but just the fact that they only occur in one, relatively small, isolated place in a very specific habitat makes them interesting .... at least to me.

The Chameleons are currently selling for $1000 a hatchy.....a beautiful addition to your collection :)[/QUOTE]

I'm glad i didnt buy a pair 6 months ago when I was enquiring (not through you deb) The price I was given was 5k each or a sexed pair for 15k

OMG snakebag..... your kidding.... lol maybe i need to put my price up :)........
The Chameleons are currently selling for $1000 a hatchy.....a beautiful addition to your collection :)

I'm glad i didnt buy a pair 6 months ago when I was enquiring (not through you deb) The price I was given was 5k each or a sexed pair for 15k[/QUOTE]

All the best for ya Cooly; you will have to put some pics up when u are all set up. I honestly hadn`t heard of them before today!! They are a truly beautiful gecko. I will have to get a gecko soon; only had dragons and pythons. I learn something new every day here on APS!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back