Changing rat bedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is closer to 3 weeks as if the male is left with the mother she will get pregnant straight away and give birth in 22 day, so the first litter have to be independant so as not to take food from the new second letter.

I've been keeping myn with the mother until around the 4 week mark with her having 2 large litters of 14 pups i think the extra week give or take can't be doing any harm and also I'm not in a rush for snake food, once I know they can 100% fend for them selves they get taken from the mother sexed and separated.

That puts too much stress on the doe to produce milk for that many young...the older pups muscle the pinkies off the teats and it slows their growth.

I wean the moment I notice the new litter if she managed to get back into pup post partum. The doe's milk supply is in full flow and the new pinkies have full tight little bellies constantly.

I do a staggered weaning if there isn't a new litter within the 22 days.

That puts too much stress on the doe to produce milk for that many young...the older pups muscle the pinkies off the teats and it slows their growth.

I wean the moment I notice the new litter if she managed to get back into pup post partum. The doe's milk supply is in full flow and the new pinkies have full tight little bellies constantly.

I do a staggered weaning if there isn't a new litter within the 22 days.

So i should be taking the pups away earlier? or I should be culling them back to a smaller number? I'm not worried if it takes a bit longer for growth as I'm only feeding 6 snakes and I have two females going at a time and 3 of the 6 are on mice anywayz.

Also once I know my two female rats are pregnant I remove the males until she gives birth and the litters are weaned and give her a week just to have a brake and so i don't get over run with to many.

I would but I keep the male in with the female constantly. I'm also likely to cull a doe how has a history of not getting in pup post partum.
My tub ratio is 1:1..simply because my females are intolerant of their own kind.
I like to breed large numbers to stock my freezer for summer. I got caught out this season and I ran out, so this winter I'm upping the numbers of breeders so I'm not having to buy rats again. *ouch*

I would but I keep the male in with the female constantly. I'm also likely to cull a doe how has a history of not getting in pup post partum.
My tub ratio is 1:1..simply because my females are intolerant of their own kind.
I like to breed large numbers to stock my freezer for summer. I got caught out this season and I ran out, so this winter I'm upping the numbers of breeders so I'm not having to buy rats again. *ouch*

I'm also only using a ratio of 1:1 in each one of my breeding tubs but no constantly keeping the male in the same tub.. I'm only breeding on a very small compared to some of the setups Ive seen some people using on APS with me having only 3 females for breeding and the one male that I won't be killing because my gf picked him out and gave him a name and two separated tubs for each sex,this way if I need food I just grab one out and feed it freshly killed or if i want to swap one the female breeders, though I have now made a Co2 chamber so I will be starting to freeze soon once the rats get to the size I need.

ouch is a bit lite more like a joke, at my local pet shop it's cheaper to by 3 live adult rats then it is to get a bag of 4 dead small rats.

I've been keeping myn with the mother until around the 4 week mark with her having 2 large litters of 14 pups i think the extra week give or take can't be doing any harm and also I'm not in a rush for snake food, once I know they can 100% fend for them selves they get taken from the mother sexed and separated.
If you do that the older weaned will steal the milk from the pinkies. Like most mammals the first milk contains clostrum which has antibidies to get the pinkies going. It is a waste to give that to weaners. Personally i think it is 'fairer" to give the does a break by not back to back mating but that will increase the number of tubs you need, which isn't that important when you only have a few rats.

Our girls and boys are kept seperately. I have a litter only born last night, another due in the next 2 days with 2 only bred last week and 5 resting. We try to give all our girls a fair rest between breedings. I personally wouldn't want to be pregnant contstantly and I am pretty sure the rats wouldn't either!!

If you do that the older weaned will steal the milk from the pinkies. Like most mammals the first milk contains clostrum which has antibidies to get the pinkies going. It is a waste to give that to weaners. Personally i think it is 'fairer" to give the does a break by not back to back mating but that will increase the number of tubs you need, which isn't that important when you only have a few rats.

sorry I should have made what I wrote more clearly, one of my female breeders has had 2 litters and both had 14 pups they were not at the same time, once they are weaned and fending for themselves they go into there seperate tubs one being for the males the other females. Once this is all over I give her time to rest and then once i find my popultion of rats is dropping I will put her into my males tub for a week give or take then put her in her own tub. This way I find she isn't going to be constaly pregnant and i don't get over run with rats. It may not be the way all the other rodent breeders do it on APS but I find it works well for me only having a small collection( 6 snakes well seven after the sarvo) and not needing hundreds of rats/mice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back