Changing the Flag

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever our flag should be i don't think it should be based on any kind of violence historical or otherwise. I take issue with the idea that being part of a war should define our collective identity as Australians. We are not a violent nation.

way to take my response to "My Grandfather carried that flag into battle on the Kokoda track and into Borneo, if it wasn't for those men you maybe flying a white flag with a red circle." out of context by quoting it as a singular!

As for where we come form... I have a lot of Scottish and Irish ancestory (among others) how does the Union Jack symbolise my herratige?, they immagrated in the 1850's well before the flag was designed. They helped shape this nation as much as any english who also imagrated. We need a flag that symbolises all our Aussie heratige.

Last edited by a moderator:
the union jack is a combination of St Andrews Cross, Cross of St George and St Patricks Cross, and combined represents the idea of freedom.

and as far as im concerned, australia is a fairly free country...so i think its suits.

enough whinging, you want a different flag, you go to a different country.

Well maybe we should use the diggers symbol? Maybe our flag should become the rising sun that we've all seen on the side of the slouch hats? There are so many 1000's of veiws from millions of people, we will never have everyone say yes or no will we, and all those who say yes will have a different idea. All of those who are saying yes to change it, may i ask what you feel it should be changed to?? Serious answers please.

I love our flag, but if it does get changed one day, then I'd like to see the southern cross retained as it is, and perhaps put something in to acknowledge the Aboriginal history....that would be better and more respectful than the Union Jack.

Australia would be an extremely different place if it wasnt for Mcdonalds, or woolworths. Does this mean that we should use these symbols in the flag too? Im not trying to downplay the role soldiers have played in our history, im just saying that although war and violence have shaped our history it doesnt mean we need to use this as the emblem of our country.

way to take my response to "My Grandfather carried that flag into battle on the Kokoda track and into Borneo, if it wasn't for those men you maybe flying a white flag with a red circle." out of context by quoting it as a singular!

Well you wrote it as a single statement, how else can i respond to it except as a singular cheif?

And so i don't take your below comment out of context, explain how i took your singular out of context?

As for where we come form... I have a lot of Scottish and Irish ancestory (among others) how does the Union Jack symbolise my herratige?, they immagrated in the 1850's well before the flag was designed. They helped shape this nation as much as any english who also imagrated. We need a flag that symbolises all our Aussie heratige.

wHAT COULD BE MORE ABORIGINAL THAN THE SOUTHERN CROSS THEY'VE LIVED UNDER IT FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS

We've lived under clouds since settling Australia, why don't we have a flag with a blue backgroud and a cumulous cloud on it?

I'm not indigenous so i can't answer for indigenous Aussies but i would think it would be because it needs some kind of signifcance. Like my cloud example it may not be something that helps to identify people.

You seem to be gettign really wound up. Maybe you should have a cup of tea or something lol.

Why do so many people think or assume the Union Jack is the flag of England ?

That's so he can write 300 songs about it, he must have run out of songs about emus and cockatoos.

ive served under this flag for 22yrs..and with overseas duty as well....i agree that the union jack should come off it..BUT i dont agree that it should be replaced with anything aborigine either..will never vote for anything like that..cause it will have to come down too a majority vote by the ppl to change it

Last edited:
ive served under this flag for 22yrs..and with overseas duty as well....i agree that the union jack should come off it..BUT i dont agree that it should be replaced with anything aborigine either..will never vote for anything like that..cause it will have to come down too a majority vote by the ppl to change it

Well said and I agree with you 100%.

I agree, and not for any negative reason. I think it would be hypocritical to get rid of something cause it's our past and then add something that is even more our past.. Besides we should all be united as one under our flag, as Australian's, and not dividing groups.

leaving the union jack on the flag is like moving out of home and painting your mothers face on the wall of your lounge room in my oppinion. and why not incorporate Aboriginal heritage into our flag?

I think any racist issues should be left out of the flag. I think the flag should be kept the same unless/untill we become a rebublic. Then it should be a green V.p.panoptes in a defensive stance on a gold background(or maybe a realistic coloured V.p.panotes on a black background).

leaving the union jack on the flag is like moving out of home and painting your mothers face on the wall of your lounge room in my oppinion. and why not incorporate Aboriginal heritage into our flag?

Why paint it I just got my favourite photo blown up and hung it on my wall.

Seriously though incorporating Aboriginal heritage in to our flag especially with the aboriginal flag is just asking for trouble, I think it will just widen the divide. The whole sorry saga and reconciliation thing has just been a waste of time and if we were to incorporate there flag it would just highlight our differences. I personally would hate to see our flag whether it changes or not divide our communities further. What heritage is behind the Aboriginal flag? Where and why did it originate? For what purpose was it first flown? It is not my flag it's theirs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back