Changing the Flag

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything to do with tradition or heritage in this country is either changed or bulldozed.
People fought and died defending our flag.People wanting it changed should be ashamed of themselves.

People also race rioted in the name of our flag.

I don't want to change our flag but we need to remember both good and bad things have been done in the name of our flag.

I would like to see us do what Canada has done, and change our flag to be instantly recognisable. There have been a large number of alternatives suggested, including the aboriginal flag with a Kangaroo in the centre rather than the sun.

But it aint going to happen.

1 Support for our current flag is reasonably strong
2 Those wanting to change the flag cannot form a concensus on a new design.

The same deal with dumping the queen, the republicans cannot put forward a model that gains widespread support.

Do we see India or Canada flying the U.J.? No!

Would a gum-nut satisfy you at top left?

i would be happy to keep the southern cross on the flag and swap the union jack for the aboriginal flag in its top left position, and i would also like to see schools teach the aboriginal language as a second subject. you go anywhere else in the world and people know their native languages and also english but when you come to australia we only know english and thats it...... however the aboriginals know their native language pluss english!

Students get taught about Aboriginal culture, im sure thats enough, with out teaching them a largley
unusable language (even for aboriginals).. when plenty of useful languages are already available to them.

Hi Snowman i have a photo of my Grandfathers Battalion flying the Australian flag at Borneo during ww2 check out the Australian War Memorial archives item number 119452 to see the pic. It may not have been officially our flag yet but i stand by my comments that my Grandfather carried that flag into battle at Kokoda and Borneo.

Peter Fitzsimonds Author of the award winning book Kokoda states otherwise.... But what ever you want is fine with me cobber. ;)

RAY MARTIN: The story of our flag is filled with emotion and with myth, especially on Anzac Day. This is the day when the 'red, white and blue' is waved, passionately and patriotically, in memory of our fallen - lest we forget. But while the Anzac spirit may be sacred, the flag certainly isn't. The fact is this wasn't the flag that most Australians took to war.

PETER FITZSIMONS: The hoariest line of all about why we should keep the flag is "my father" or "my grandfather fought and died for that flag". ...............

PETER FITZSIMONS: Well, that was the flag - I mean, the bond that they actually formed was primarily with each other. I've talked to a lot of these veterans, you know. The actual Australian flag forward - you know, "Bluey died under the flag." No, Bluey didn't die under the flag.

PETER FITZSIMONS: My favourite line - Jerry Seinfeld comes out to Australia in the year 2000. He does this brilliant stand-up routine and he says, "I love your flag - Britain at night." Bingo.

Link to the transcript: The Great Flag Debate

incase you are wondering who Peter Fitzsimons is.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter Fitzsimonds Author of the award winning book Kokoda states otherwise.... But what ever you want is fine with me cobber. ;)

RAY MARTIN: The story of our flag is filled with emotion and with myth, especially on Anzac Day. This is the day when the 'red, white and blue' is waved, passionately and patriotically, in memory of our fallen - lest we forget. But while the Anzac spirit may be sacred, the flag certainly isn't. The fact is this wasn't the flag that most Australians took to war.

PETER FITZSIMONS: The hoariest line of all about why we should keep the flag is "my father" or "my grandfather fought and died for that flag". ...............

PETER FITZSIMONS: Well, that was the flag - I mean, the bond that they actually formed was primarily with each other. I've talked to a lot of these veterans, you know. The actual Australian flag forward - you know, "Bluey died under the flag." No, Bluey didn't die under the flag.

PETER FITZSIMONS: My favourite line - Jerry Seinfeld comes out to Australia in the year 2000. He does this brilliant stand-up routine and he says, "I love your flag - Britain at night." Bingo.

Link to the transcript: The Great Flag Debate

incase you are wondering who Peter Fitzsimons is.........

Evere tried having an opinion of your own mate, not one you read in a book. I have a 65 year old photo that shows the Australian flag at Borneo you have a paragraph in a book someone else wrote.

Mate I doubt you have ever read a book :) But yes I like to read and yes I'd take the word of an Historian over you, after all your picture in question could be anywhere and anytime for all I know. I base my opinions on facts I get from various sources. That's a big call questioning an authority on Australian solidiers like Peter. I think most people appreciate that all Peters research is based on FACT.... For anyone else wondering, you only have to do a google image search on Kokoda and Borneo to view old photos and the flags that are in them!?
But anyways... who cares... Flags not changing and we have Herps to discuss :)

I've read both books mate and enjoyed them. This pic of mine is in the archives at the Australian War Memorial ( i supplied the item number) i'd say that's also a big call to question that one. Maybe the pic was taken at another war in Borneo? Your own quote above says "wasn't the flag that most Australians took to war" not all. What snakes have you got?

Maybe we should change the debate to something more fun like posting our great/grandfathers old AUSTRALIAN pictures... :D:D:D

Yeah, it was "most" not all flags... The flag flying in that picture is actully a navy one, but war is war.... It says the photo was taken by an "F. Butt" lol?
Snakes :) good Question :) Just pythons mate. SWCP, Stimi's and Woma's.

Naval Flag

From its inception in 1911 the Royal Australian Navy flew as its distinguishing flag the White Ensign featuring the red cross of St. George handed down to it by the Royal Navy where it had been flown since 1864. There had been proposals at the time that a distinctively Australian flag should be adopted but these were overruled by the Admiralty who considered it more appropriate that all Commonwealth navies should continue to fly a common ensign. In this regard it must be remembered that at its birth the RAN was realistically an offshoot of the RN, comprised of ships and equipment of exclusively British origin and with all senior positions filled by British officers on loan; indeed it was not until 1948 that the position of Chief of Naval Staff was filled by an Australian. This flag arrangement was accepted for many years; our Navy had been founded upon the traditions, regulations, laws and procedures of the Royal Navy, our officers underwent much of their training in the UK and most RAN ships, aircraft and materiel continued to be of British origin or design.

Following World War II however the RAN in line with the rest of the Australian community began to develop more independent attitudes and a growing feeling that our policies, our ships and our personnel should be more readily identifiable as Australian. Recognising this, in 1965 the First Naval Member, Vice Admiral Sir Alan McNicoll initiated action for change by soliciting views on the desirability of adopting a distinctively Australian White Ensign. He made the points that in overseas waters our ships needed to be readily identifiable if the national policy of projecting Australia as an independent nation was to be furthered and that in home ports our Navy needed to be seen as an Australian service totally independent of any form of overseas control. The involvement of RAN ships in the Vietnam War where they were flying a distinguishing ensign identical with that of another country not engaged in the war lent logic and urgency to his argument.

Vice Admiral McNicoll's proposal for change was warmly accepted throughout the Navy and proposed designs for an Australian White Ensign were called for. Several designs eventuated and on 21st January 1966 the Naval Board recommended to the Government that:-

• The RAN should have a distinctive Australian White Ensign.
  • The Ensign should be a white flag with the Union Flag in the upper canton at the hoist with six blue stars positioned as in the Australian flag.
The design had been initially submitted by then Commander G.J.H. Woolrych RAN.

Following Government approval and that of Her Majesty the Queen, the introduction of the Australian White Ensign was promulgated on 23rd December 1966

Tinky that bottom one looks like a roo in a gun sight. lol

Yea, and he needs to lead him a bit more for a kill.

Just showing some of the options to support my earlier statment that we cant decide on what a new flag shopuld look like. Some of these are butt ugly, tacky and a true reflection of our mulleted bogans and the Kath and Kims out there.

Also I cannot believe that the only flag with a snake is the one that looks like a tea towel.

yeah the old car pics are always fun to see... Camping must have been interesting as opposed to our 4x4's....

I'm sure we could find another cigarette company to put a competition on again just like we did to get the first flag....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back